Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 AM

625 posts, read 4,574,133 times

Advertisements

I have a gas furnace with AC sitting on top, the air goes out thru the top-in the pic below, on the left is the return ducting coming into the unit(where air gets sucked in)...there is a filter on the other side of the house where the air comes in but I'm wondering if there is another one somewhere inside the actual unit? I've looked in the area shown in the picture but above that is a plenum that I don't want to tear into if I don't have too unless that is a common place for a filter to reside...I just want to make sure I'm changing the filter if necessary. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Do I have a filter at the unit of my HVAC? pic enclosed-119-1932_img.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,312,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
I have a gas furnace with AC sitting on top, the air goes out thru the top-in the pic below, on the left is the return ducting coming into the unit(where air gets sucked in)...there is a filter on the other side of the house where the air comes in but I'm wondering if there is another one somewhere inside the actual unit? I've looked in the area shown in the picture but above that is a plenum that I don't want to tear into if I don't have too unless that is a common place for a filter to reside...I just want to make sure I'm changing the filter if necessary. Thanks.
You probably only have the one [return air] filter that you have already found. Filter(s) can be mounted inside the air handler unit itself or loacted somewere else in the return air system. Sometimes (depending on the system design, size, etc.) there is only filter, and sometimes there are numerous filters mounted throughout the house.

If the [one] filter you have already found measures about the same size as (what appears to be) your one return air duct that enters the botton-left of the air handler, then it suggests to me that you only have the one filter.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:44 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,325,687 times
While some units will have a filter inside the unit (where you took the photo), the fact that you found one in another part of the house. at the return grill tells me thats the only only.

While some houses may have numerous filters located throughout the house, you don't want to have TWO filters on the same duct run. Meaning, if you have a filter on the end of the return run, you shouldn't have one at the air handler (where you took the photo), but you may have more than one return grill in your house because the return run has branches in it. Clear as mud now?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:20 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,682,526 times
Is there only 1 return grille? If air can get to furnace without passing thru the one you have found I would look for another one.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,325,687 times
Many systems only have one return.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM

625 posts, read 4,574,133 times
Ok, so I guess there is only the one filter that I already found. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House