Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
I think it means he sold hardwood dimensional lumber (like S4S) to those companies to make cabinets out of. He was probably a mill sales rep or something like that. At least that's how I interpreted his post.
One thing is for sure, he is a SPAMMER one post one hit wonder. He won't be back to answer.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpt8ball View Post
any comments on the "All Wood cabinetry" brand cabinets that costco.com sells?
Stupid name for starters. Well they really are wood and no particle board. Not that particle board is bad. They are framed which is good, no ugly frameless crap. Full over lay doors, not my style but people like them. Full depth shelf, a rarity on inexpensive brand cabinets. Thick solid stock maple dovetailed drawer boxes...awesome. Undermount full extension soft close drawer guides, another rarity in inexpensive brands. Even the doors come with soft close mechanisms which is awesome too.

Many inexpensive no frills cabinet brands have limited accessory offerings while this brand seems to fill this niche just fine.

Not the best looking door and color offerings I ever seen. Most important to me is they are KCMA certified. To everyone: If you are looking to buy a no name cheap cabinet brand, look inside the doors. If you do not see a KCMA sticker then DO NOT BUY THAT CABINET !!!

This cabinet passes my inspection. Go for it. You need to get your moneys worth out of that stupid $50 fee Costco charge for the right to buy from them while all the other stores allow anyone to shop their store at no charge.

Last edited by desertsun41; 03-31-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 AM

16 posts, read 128,437 times
I sold the same type of cabinets as Costco and I'll be completly honest, 90% of what i sold resulted in product damage either in shipping from warehouse or shipping from China to warehouse, delayed shipping, poor packing practices, long delays if a replacement item was out of stock. What they carry is Chinese Ready To Assemble cabinetry. Just because it is "All Wood" does not mean it is a quality product. I'll wager that some doevtail drawer boxes are not flush at the dovetails, the soft close glides are cheap and prone to not last long, some shelves and doors may be warped from exposure on the ocean, mullions on doors prep for glass not straight. These all were very common with my experience as well as many other issues. Their Lancaster, Haven and Heritage is the EXACT same door that the company I worked for had. It's the same/similar to what Cabinet Liquidators, Covered Bridge, and so on and so on. They may get theirs direct from China or from a company like TBA, llc. I've sold everything from custom to the RTA cabinetry for 15 years and the issues with selling RTA for only a year far surpassed anything else over the other 14 years and provided me with more stress than i ever needed. RTA is what it is and not all of it is complete junk. The biggest things are the company backing of the product, competence of it's people, if installation is available, what kind/quality are you getting on that end, shipping practices, the finishing process, quality of the wood, construction of the box. I just don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling going to a place to buy lettuce and have my kitchen designed and priced all at the same time, even though it is probably 3rd party that has a deal with Costco. Desertsun is correct, look for the KCMA sticker, but also get a list of numbers of other people who have purchased their cabinets. If you were to go with a cabinet shop, you'd ask for references, why not there as well? Would be best if you could get a reference of someone who purchased the cabinets as far back as possible, to check how they held up. References aren't foolproof though, since no company will give a bad reference per say, but it doesn't hurt to get others experiences with their purchase in all aspects.
Once again, a place like this you get no site/field measurement, so you have to do that. That, to me is unacceptable since so many problems can occur down the road. Not that every homeowner is unable to measure correctly, but wouldn't you feel better having the professional measure what you are possibly going to purchase from them? It's fast food kitchen design and sales for the most important room in the house in my opinion. Costco is just another company jumping on the orange/red apron and IKEA model and most of us know how great they are.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 74,034 times
Hey Desertsun,

We received quotes for Woodmode, Starmark, and Schrock cabinets from three different dealers. These all appear to be good quality, but the Woodmode dealer is telling me that Starmark is junk (not his exact words), which I can't seem to verify anywhere on the web. If I can get a better deal with Starmark (with some extras like plywood box and glazing included - my wife wants painted cream cabinets...not happy about that), are there any glaring reasons why I shouldn't buy this brand? I really haven't seen anything written about Starmark in these forums. Or should I spend a little more and get either Woodmode or Schrock with the particle board boxes? I believe that Woodmode is the best of the three, but is it far superior to the other two brands? Any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagostinelli View Post
Hey Desertsun,

We received quotes for Woodmode, Starmark, and Schrock cabinets from three different dealers. These all appear to be good quality, but the Woodmode dealer is telling me that Starmark is junk (not his exact words), which I can't seem to verify anywhere on the web. If I can get a better deal with Starmark (with some extras like plywood box and glazing included - my wife wants painted cream cabinets...not happy about that), are there any glaring reasons why I shouldn't buy this brand? I really haven't seen anything written about Starmark in these forums. Or should I spend a little more and get either Woodmode or Schrock with the particle board boxes? I believe that Woodmode is the best of the three, but is it far superior to the other two brands? Any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Woodmode is beyond most of us mortals budget. I believe it is now the 2nd most expensive brand of cabinets out there.

Starmark used to be part of Brookmark (or something like that). They split the brands into 2 companies. Starmark used to be junk but not really anymore. No don't be afraid of Starmark. Be more afraid if they are charging you full list price. The book they go by has MSRP or list price. Make damn sure he discounts from that price.

As much as I dislike whites and shades of white, all reports from my trade journals say they are making a comeback. I see it in my own store. Not white, those door samples still collect dust but the off whites are starting to sell. Especially with various glazing colors applied.

Speaking of the Devil. Just a couple hours ago UPS brought me my new door samples. One I ordered is a butter cream with gold glazing. I don't know that it will sell but it will be a discussion piece.

Good luck...

Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply...I appreciate that.

I've been told that we're getting 70% off of list price, but I suppose I should ask them to prove it to me. The strange thing is Woodmode is not much more (about 10% higher, but not sure if the glazing is included.) I have to take a closer look at the layouts to see if there are any significant differences in the number of cabinets and features.

Good luck with selling the off whites. I didn't completely lose the battle with my wife...we're getting stained maple for the center island and desk.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Correction...it's not exactly Woodmode...it's Brookhaven (by Woodmode.) That explains why the price is somewhat reasonable. So Desertsun, which way would you go if the prices were about the same (Brookhaven or Starmark?)

Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1028 View Post
Correction...it's not exactly Woodmode...it's Brookhaven (by Woodmode.) That explains why the price is somewhat reasonable. So Desertsun, which way would you go if the prices were about the same (Brookhaven or Starmark?)
Yes that explains it. Brookhaven is a lessor cost version of Woodmode. Much lessor cost. Same company. Brookhaven is just fine and I would choose it over Starmark. Some of my reason for saying that is I still remember when Starmark was the laughing stock of the Cabinet trades. Not anymore. Yorktown Cabinets is another example of that. They were pure junk about 15 or so years ago. Today Yorktown Cabinets are a quality brand to reckon with.

Congrads on finding the discounted dealer/distributor. You did your homework and now have reason to raise your fists in victory !!!!!!!!

So what are you going to do with all that savings? Good luck to ya!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 AM

16 posts, read 128,437 times
Choose Brookhaven over Starmark. If it costs a little more, it is worth it. Schrock is probably quite a bit more than both and Starmark, while much better than it used to be, is still not inline quality wise with Brookhaven/Woodmode.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Yes, Brookhaven does cost a little more. The only thing is we're missing out on the free glazing offered by Starmark. If we added that option to Brookhaven, it would cost substantially more. So we're living without it.

All of the savings will go directly to the appliances. I'm researching that to death also. One thing I know for sure, there's no way I'd join a buying club like Direct Buy. Well, that's a subject for a different post...lol.

Thanks guys for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House