Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,836 times

Advertisements

We have a home that was rented out to a terrible terrible man - he left owing us 13,000 plus he trashed our home.... disgustingly dirty and ruined the entire home's carpet (only 4.5 years old).

We never wanted to rent - he got in on a rent to buy contract then defaulted, wrote bad checks, commited credit card fraud, and filed for bankruptcey leaving us high and dry for months until it was dismissed...

He is now out but as I said, the carpets are terrible (pet stains my best guess) so we are going to replace the entire homes carpet -

Wondering if I need to do any treating of the floor underneath? I am hoping that just getting the carpet and pad all out will fix it up -

We are looking at using a carpet store that pulls out and replaces the same day so a little worried about how we would get the floor treated (maybe with Kilz if needed in spots?) -

I have called several "experts" in the metro area, and most have said, it probably will not need to be treated, but I just want to do this right if we are paying the money...

We will be losing a great deal on the home due to the declining market, and will already have to bring over ten thousand dollars to closing when it sells... (plus add in the cost to recarpet the entire house)...

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
If they are pet stains, you do want to treat the subfloor. It's especially essential if it was a cat, but just as important if it was a dog. With any humidity the odor will seep out of the subfloor and into the new carpet pad and carpet. I also had a problem with a untreated stain on the subfloor visibly leeching into the new pad and carpet.

I've not used Kilz on a floor, but I'd bet that would work. And it is somewhat fast drying. Ask the carpet company if you could possibly follow the carpet removers around, and once they've removed a carpet in a room, throw down the paint - ask if there would be enough drying time before the installers set to work.

For the small price of a couple of cans of Kilz, it would be worth it to make sure nothing messes up or smells up the new carpets.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
You don't say what the sub floor is composed of. If it is concrete, it will absorb some of the moisture if it is cat or dog pee. Hopefully, it is not worse. I would make sure to clean and dry the floor well before putting new carpet on an old sub- floor. If the sub-floor is wood. Leave it open for at least 2 days...2 days after cleaning it. Wood will absorb more liquid and hold it longer.
I put baby powder down all over before the carpet goes in. Makes the new carpet smell better than the new carpet smell. It makes the house smell like a baby, not overwhelming, but just a hint. helps to sell, especially to a younger couple who are looking to make babies. Just get several containers of baby powder, store brand, and spread it all over before they put down the carpet. Works every time!!!!!!!.
I'm a LL and have had to replace more than one carpet.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
There are products out there to get pet odors out of carpets and even out of concrete. We got it at a pet supply store. Seemed to work fine.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Any base moulding made of fiber board will soak up urine and must be replaced.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,300 times
Kilz will do the job, and it dries pretty quickly. We use it all the time professionally. The carpet installer should be able to do this for you as part of the process. Good Luck.

Streamer1212

Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Tearing out the carpet and pad will tell the tale. I think you will probably be able to get away with a mop, a bucket and a bleach solution but you'll know what needs to be done when the floor is laid bare.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM

955 posts, read 3,647,836 times
Thanks guys! I have it all scheduled - going to do this right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House