Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 AM

147 posts, read 646,607 times

Advertisements

Dupont Advion Ant Gel. If you have ants in the house, this stuff works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Duct Tape

W-D 40

TSP

Those are three of the most useful products that I have encountered.

THe Roomba (at least as long as the battery held out).

Motion detecting light switches (great when you have kids).

Glista (Glitsa?) wood floor finish

Shower Clean seems to work well.

That enzyme stuff that eats pet effluvia and removes the smell (expensive but worth it).

Holmes humidifiers.

Britta water filters. (Effective and economical)

Those window kits that go inside your windows in the winter and you shrink them to fit by heating them with a hair dryer.

Tankless water heaters.

Guardian (Gernac) stand-by generators.

I have now become a fan of programmable thermostats, I used to think that they are not wrothwhile, but running around the house turning down 4 thermostats when we leave the house is a pain.

Booklights (wonderful invention).

Fix a flat (more a car thing than household, but indispensible).

Salt based chlorine generator for a pool.

Does anyone know whether that enzyme stuff that you put down the drain to clear it out actually does anything?
home depot sells one in a plain white bottle with red writing. guy there told me it's far better than draino/liquid plumber.

where a mask and gloves and i would also recommend eye wear like goggles or glasses so no splashing.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
sad to see all the chemical heavy items mentioned.

i highly recommend checking out seventh generation products and method products. i find they work just as well as the chemically enhanced products. for ones that don't, we clean once a month with the chemical products (soft scrub, mr clean floor cleaner, etc) and then use method or 7th generation every week in between to maintain.

far less chemicals, same clean!

also - twisty's dish sponge is my favorite dish sponge so far. less scrubbing. it's amazing. i was using the scotch yellow and green ones before, as they were my fav, but the twisty is awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House