Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times

Advertisements

I just feel like it wastes a lot of counter space and it's just another thing to clean. Honestly, we spend at most 5 minutes a day in the bath doing hand washing or brushing teeth, what's the obsession with double sinks. I'm literally thinking of putting in a new vanity with one sink only. Would that be a bad thing in terms of resale??
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
There are many couples that insist on two sinks in the master bath... we would not buy a house without.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Many baths are attached to the master bedrood now days;along with a walk-in closet. Since most are design for two people the size is larger and the double sinks ;so that two people can use the space.I do tho believe in the poorer planned houses the double sinks are often in to small a space and too close to each other.Its just the designs that have large baths;bigger kitchen and thuis smaller bedrooms;its all in sellign points to many.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
We have had it in every house we have owned. The only time we didn't have it was when we lived an apartment. I could take it or leave it.

My dh and I NEVER use the bathroom at the same time. We never are in there using the sink together so really we could live without it. I always try to use just one sink to keep the other clean.

A lot of people will not even buy a house that doesn't have a MASTER SUITE bathroom with double sinks. If you are not going to live in your house forever, I would be careful for resale. I would suggest that you do not redo it. JMO.

You could jump onto the real estate thread and ask over there to people in the business.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Would that be a bad thing in terms of resale??
Probably, but I think it depends on what your time-line is.

If you are planning to sell in the next 2-3 years; I'd say keep the double sinks.

If you plan to stay put for 10+ years, remodel your house/bath for you.
Chances are good that styles will change in the next 10-15 years anyway and the next owners will want to do things to their taste.

BTW I am so with you on the double-sink thing. I just don't get it. Do that many couples ~really~ get ready side-by-side? I love my sweetie, but I really don't want to watch him spit toothpaste nor do I want to pick his beard-shavings out of my moisturizing cream! Personally I think the key to a happy relationship is separate bathrooms. The sink alone just doesn't cut it for me.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I love my sweetie, but I really don't want to watch him spit toothpaste nor do I want to pick his beard-shavings out of my moisturizing cream! Personally I think the key to a happy relationship is separate bathrooms. The sink alone just doesn't cut it for me.

Perfectly said!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I agree with plaidmom. If you're going to be there a while, remodel to one sink, keeping it in mind that you'll need to put it back when you put the house on the market. Most people do want double sinks in the master, based on what I'm hearing from my buyers.

However, this is your home, so make it fit your needs.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Honestly, people seem to have difficulty with the concept of sharing and taking one's turn these days.

Huge bathrooms are such a waste of space!

Quote:
Personally I think the key to a happy relationship is separate bathrooms.
On separate floors. LOL.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Well the reason I ask is because my brother redid his bathroom, very nicely. They have a double vanity but with one sink. It afforded them so much space and it looked very neat and organized. I have a double vanity with two sinks and the middle section of our vanity just gets cluttered with stuff (makeup, hair products and the like). We never use the other sink and it just seems reasonable to me to only have one sink with extra counter space. For the hall bath, it makes more sense to have two sinks especially with multiple kids. I really hope the trend of the double sink goes away. I just don't like it.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I wouldn't buy a house without double sinks and a master bath. My husband and I are often getting ready at the same time. Fortunately our bathroom is very roomy and has tons of counter space (and drawers!!) so having double sinks doesn't take up needed room.

Our toilet is in a seperate WC off the bathroom, and the master closet is also off the bathroom. We both work from home, so getting ready in the morning is a fairly leisurely process. We even put a TV on the wall so we can watch Headline News while getting ready.

There are a very few things that would be a deal breaker for me when looking at homes for sale:

Lack of counter space in the kitchen
Lack of double sinks in the master bath
Lack of a master bath
Lack of a dishwasher

I could live with almost anything else, of course provided the home is well maintained and in a good neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House