Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM

288 posts, read 926,871 times

Advertisements

I did not realize how hard it would be to choose a line of kitchen appliances! Every time I think I have made a decision, I find more and more negative reviews of the line. I am at the point where I don't really care which line or style I get, I just want something dependable. My initial wants were stainless steel and professional look. We need double wall oven, over the range microwave, gas cooktop, dishwasher and wine cooler.

I have already looked at:
Jenn Air Pro Style (Love, but would come out over $2k over budget)
Frigidaire Professional series (many negative reviews)
GE Profile (highly considering, but slightly over budget.)

My budget is $6,000. Can anyone give me suggestions?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,695 times
We just went through this several months ago. I'm the world's worst about making decisions when it comes to high-ticket items. After a couple of months of reading/going to look, we went with all Kitchenaid Architect series. At the time Kitchenaid had a program going that if you bought so many appliances (we bought 5), you got a pre-paid card with so much money on it. I don't remember the exact amount, may have been $300. Good luck with your search. It'll wear you out .

Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
What astonished me is that an island range hood is MORE than the stove/oven combo (I have a 2 oven - one small, one regular size - Jenn-Air, with a gas cooktop and electric ovens). It's a sheet metal box with a fan, filter, and light in it. How can it cost more?

We ended up buying one meant to mount on a wall and fabricating a very sturdy arrangement for it to hang from and covering the back with a decorative plate. Saved us about $1,500.

Also, FYI - the Jenn-Air is stainless steel (which I like for a stove) with black enamel on the top. The black enamel is extremely hard to keep clean. I like the look, but I don't like the cleaning.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 02-09-2009 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM

20 posts, read 50,591 times
Default New range features

Purchased a Kenmore Model#78859 11/15/08. It is gas, with true convention oven and warming drawer. This was to replace a brand new, $1700 Maytag double convention oven range for which the ceramic top cracked the first week.

Although you're not looking for a range, the features & benefits that I've found using it are so compelling that I thought I'd pass it on. First, I'm disabled and unable to lift or carry 5lbs+. Therefore, I needed continuous grates on top to be able to slide pots. In addition, I had to be able to LIFT the grates off to clean, and this was one of the very few which I could so it made the short list pronto. This may never be an issue for you, but you may have a teenager whom you want to clean the kitchen! Also, the sealed burners, a priority, are unbelievably easy keep clean the stove top clean at all times. No more dried up spill overs found underneath the top, anymore! I can't believe how long I suffered, doing 10x the amount of work, until I couldn't do it anymore and was compelled to get an easy clean range (that was the purpose of the Maytag with the ceramic top - what a disaster and it was very difficult to clean and needed to be after every single use. Avoid Maytag; all 5 new appliances I had were defective from the get go and it took me almost 5 years but got them to buy them all back less 10%; should've know better with the range, huh?).

The feature that we use the most I found reading the operational manual: SLO COOK! We didn't even know such a feature existed, and it is the one feature we could not live without. It is used a min of 3-5 times a week. I can put a roast or bird in the oven early in the day and forget about it. This enables me to pace myself and now I am cooking like I never have before! It has enabled me to get back into the kitchen, literally. Meat comes out tender and juicy perfection every time, and the kids think I'm working myself to death! It's enabled me to return to baking, so family & Sunday night suppers when our son comes over I always have something fresh baked. I could have used this years ago with my fast-paced, workaholic lifestyle by throwing meat in before I left for work and letting it slow roast all day and be ready when we got home. Boy, if only! Hubby loves it and uses it exclusively when he cooks.

The warming drawer was a priority, but not used as often as expected. It runs too hot to use to proof yeast dough, so I'm still tinkering with that. It is still a feature that I would not do without, however, because when I need it it's essential (when I'm unwell, slow, and not getting courses timed and out on time). It's great for pizza night.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM

288 posts, read 926,871 times
Thanks for the input. I have not researched Kenmore, I'll look into them. Also, on the Jenn-Air it will drive me crazy if it shoes finger prints and spots- the whole point of going stainless! I looked at one line of Kitchen Aide, but don't think it was Architect. Looks like I'm back to the beginning

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
I've always bought Kenmore appliances and have never been disappointed. Good features, reliable, competitively priced.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
I used GE appliances for years in my homes. And never had a major problem.
But, as the kitchen became a "groumet" wonderment I stopped using GE exclusively and gave an appliance allowance.
Then I started seeing everything from Jennair, Bosch, Thermador, Viking, Wolf, and Subzero- and a service van at the homeowner's home- as if it where almost attached to the appliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House