Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 AM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times

Advertisements

(I posted this in Raleigh, NC forum as well)

Our 50 gal gas tank water heater is in our attic, which seems like a very odd place to us but all 295 homes in our Raleigh, NC development were built little over 10 years ago with the water heater in the attic.

Now that the units are 10+ yrs old they are needing to be serviced or replaced. A few neighbors have switched to tankless and moved the heater to a lower level. I'm not sure that we want to go tankless (from research on Consumer Reports), we'll probably get another tank version but I'm wondering where to put it? In California our water heater was outside (behind a utility door on balcony or patio) or in the garage. In Minnesota it was in the basement. Could we have it installed in the garage or in the crawlspace (plenty of room and height)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
You can almost certainly move the water heater wherever you want, the question is whether you want to simply pay for a new water heater or if you want to pay for a new water heater and what could be extensive re-plumbing. There could be a lot of variables. It isn't impossible that this would be a relatively easy procedure, but it could be a real nightmare as well.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
A lot depends on if it is electric or gas.

The plumbing part is really pretty easy. You just have to find a place where there are hot and cold pipes. Generally, you want to have it where there are full size hot and cold pipes.

The utility connection is the other part. If it is electric, you will have to run a 240V circuit to the new location. This maybe easy, or could be a bigger problem (cost more).

Gas is another thing altogether. First you will have to run a gas line to the unit. Depending on where you find a gas line close by, it may not be "sized" correctly for the demands of the water heater. Running a gas line, or re-sizing the run could run into a lot of money depending on the location.

The second thing is the exhaust venting of the gas appliance. The exhaust gases have to go outside. So this could be almost next to impossible if you pick the wrong place.

A gas unit will be much harder to re-locate.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,985 times
We live in TX and one of our water heaters is upstairs in the attic-the other is in a utility closet in the garage. Most of the homes here have water heaters in the attic--it is just the way they build here since there are no basements. I think it's weird...it kind of freaked me out at first but everytime my husband goes up to change the air filters (yes, they put the A/C & furnances in the attic too--so odd to me) he inspects the water heater to make sure no leaks, etc. I think it is a Southern thing....I have lived in two other states and had not ever seen this before either.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I am one of the few who think that having a water heater in the attic makes sense. The ambient heat, especially if a tempering tank is used, can cut power or fuel costs substantially. If it had a properly plumbed drip pan, I would keep it there.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:14 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,370 times
I had a water heater in my previous house in Savannah, Ga. I hated it. The pilot went out and in order to light it I had to put my face on the floor in order to see in there. It is hard to get to, difficullt-I'm sure-to replace, and it is hotter than hell up there in the summer. Not to mention the roaches. My new house has the water heater in the garage and I LOVE it!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
What Harry said. Make sure it has a good drip pan with a drain-off to some sort of drain that can handle a leak, given that, why not leave it in the attic?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,019,807 times
My gas water heater is located in the attic. All the houses in my subdivision have this arrangement as well as gas central heat (horizontal furnace). Looks like most construction nowadays has this plan. I'm going to keep an eye on it as the house is 5 years old and we purchased it brand new. I can't see moving it and a tankless heater would be expensive to buy and install. So going to keep an eye on it.

Are electric water heaters less trouble? Do they leak as readily? The only think bad about that is that electric rates are high here (Louisiana)

Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 16,877 times
We have two 50 gallon water heaters in our attic, last week one split on top and appeared to be rusted out. It was only 6 1/2 years old and no one was home. We had sheetrock hanging , wooden floors buckled up, door jams swollen. attic insulation soaked, clothes closets sheetrock ceiling down etc, etc.
These were A.O. Smith water heatersand they only have a 6 year warranty. I called the company and emailed them photos, however they can't help me even though I had 2 different plumbers look at them and they never seen that happen before. I had 2 water heater in my other house for 23 years, one in the garage and one in the attic. Never had any problems with them.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Wow. That IS odd. How did it split? Was it along a weld line or somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House