Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 06:45 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,631,104 times

Advertisements

When architect Sarah Susanka remodeled her kitchen, she didn't use pricey granite or edgy concrete for her countertops. She used laminate. Her cabinets: Ikea.

"You can save thousands of dollars" by using simple materials in a well-designed space, says Susanka, author of the best-selling 1998 book The Not So Big House.

Americans are moving on up to smaller, smarter homes - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,422,785 times
She has been pushing this for a long time. A couple years ago the local Parade of homes required homes based on her prinicples, well... as a designer I found it to be a "not so big parade" the homes had major problems with flow. It was more the designers issue.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,220,575 times
The thing is, those laminate countertops are going to wear out way before the cabinets. At least the granite or concrete would last awhile.

My house's kitchen was done in 1985 (we just bought it). While the wood cabinets could use refinishing, they are sturdy-but the white laminate countertop is a total mess, burned, stained, cracked and peeling. I'm not doing granite at the moment, but perhaps granite tile over it-at least that would last longer than the formica did.

Anyhow, I have always lived in smaller houses, and our new house is the largest I'd ever have-five bedrooms (we have five kids) but two baths is fine, we're not adding more. It's a split level that was added on to. We did look at McMansions and were not interested. Too much wasted space typically. Who needs a bathroom the size of a bedroom? Who needs a bedroom the size of a studio apt? Sheesh. And you have to heat all that. And cool it if you have AC, which it seems they do. My new house doesn't, it has an attic fan which is supposed to be great. I'll find out in summer.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,717,637 times
I've done the same. I've retired and have downsized everything it seems. I always dreamed of the 8 bedroom 7 bathroom 2 kitchen home on the golf resort...... moved from there!
The condo in Vegas...moved from there.

I'm one of those tired of the tax man reaching into my pockets constantly. I want to live a nice lifestyle w/ a comfortable and pretty home. No intentions of ever selling AND it's not up to me to provide long lasting top of the line anything for my kids.

Nope, I'm hand building my cabinets and doing my floors myself.

When the economy gets really bad, I'll be safer. I own my home outright and can pay living expenses AND taxes w/ my retirement pay.

One thing though, space....I'm used to alot of space so I've found myself extending the flow of the house outside...as in living area on the patio.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,914,103 times
I had smaller house... they have to have a good design or you will have poor flow and no storage space.

I bought a small "McMansion". For the first time, I have a foyer, hall closet, linen closet, closet for my bedrooms, and a pantry. Give me a "McMansion" any day.

As far as heating and cooling... yes, the smaller house was probably easier to heat but since it was an older house it was drafty (leaky windows, no insulation) so I think the McMansion and older smaller home is in a "dead heat" on energy bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House