Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 06:56 PM

239 posts, read 612,289 times

Advertisements

I have mottled white/grey (mostly grey) tile in my bathroom. Four pieces fell off the wall (no underlying damage; they're just old) and according to the super in my building, tiles in this size and color are no longer made. I bought white tiles to replace them, but I'd like to hand paint a grey design on them so that they match. Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind of paint should I use so that it doesn't peel off from the moisture?
I'm looking to sell my condo, but have been advised not to redo the bathroom as the buyer will probably want to do so to his/her own tastes, but I'd at least like to present matching tiles!
I've also heard tiles can be painted over entirely for a whole new look. Is this expensive? Difficult? Which option would you recommend??? I'm leaning toward the former, but interested in the latter for future reference.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,962 times
There are epoxy paints that might be what you need. You might want to sand the tile surface lightly to give it some tooth for the paint to stick to. You could also try an oil based paint as well.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
No you can not paint tiles. There is a product out there called Kletcos that can be used to paint poreclain tubs.

Why were you advised not to do any remodeling? In this market a dumpy bathroom will lose you a sale at the drop of a hat. If you just have a few bad tiles why not just buy 4 tiles of a completely different color or a decoritive tile and make it look intentional.

Good luck selling anything in this market, especially anything not up to perfection.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,452 times
If they just fell off, why not clean them up and put them back?

In my kitchen, I painted over some 80's "herb" accent tile with a product I bought from Michael's. I just looked at it: Delta air-dry PremEnamel. I bought the base coat, the color, and the top coat. Its only been about 4 months, but it still looks great and I have scrubbed them a few times.

Before:

After:

side note: I highly recommend removed the knives from the knife magnet should you plan on sticking your head under the cabinet

Oh, and just so you don't think I painted the wall orange:

Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM

239 posts, read 612,289 times
Thanks, Rubytue, those pics look great! Nice color scheme! (I would have just stuck these back on, but they broke when they hit the ground).

Desertsun, in defense of my bathroom (LOL), it's not dumpy. I just don't want mismatched tiles, hence the attempt to paint a gray design on the white replacement tiles to make them look artistic. It's actually something I'd like to learn to do anyway because I find artistic tiles to be quite attractive -- what better than to be able to personalize them? I was told not to remodel because the new owner will probably want to do so her/himself -- just like they tell you not to paint the walls (unless they're dirty and need a fresh coat of white) because your efforts will just be painted over again by the new owners. I don't know. The bathroom looks fine as is -- just a little outdated. I guess I'll see when I start showing the place.

Wyoquilter, thanks for the advice about sanding. I finally found some websites that told me how to do this and they said the very same thing.

Thanks all! To the crafts store I go!

Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,452 times
Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Thanks, Rubytue, those pics look great! Nice color scheme!
Thanks! We are slowly doing things with the kitchen. We remodeled the rest of the house completely, but the kitchen is functional, but ugly. I hope to put down new countertops and replace the tile eventually. But for now, this makes it so much more tolerable.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 PM

24,454 posts, read 25,991,550 times
The Super Chief in my house has been painting bathroom and kitchen tiles for years. Agree that she had to fire them in a kiln to get the paint to set, but it can be done. There are also decals that can be applied, but they must be fired or cured in a oven at high heat.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,019 times
get the paint store to match the color
then you can take it to the car collision place and get your design/paint clearcoated
theres also a scratch resistant clear coat spray from the carparts store

Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
I have mottled white/grey (mostly grey) tile in my bathroom. Four pieces fell off the wall (no underlying damage; they're just old) and according to the super in my building, tiles in this size and color are no longer made. I bought white tiles to replace them, but I'd like to hand paint a grey design on them so that they match. Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind of paint should I use so that it doesn't peel off from the moisture?
I'm looking to sell my condo, but have been advised not to redo the bathroom as the buyer will probably want to do so to his/her own tastes, but I'd at least like to present matching tiles!
I've also heard tiles can be painted over entirely for a whole new look. Is this expensive? Difficult? Which option would you recommend??? I'm leaning toward the former, but interested in the latter for future reference.
Thanks!
To me, this sounds like an excellent opportunity to learn how to tile.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
FInd a ceramic craft place. They will give you paint that will stick to the tile. You need to have htem back the paint onto the tile. We did this with about 100 small tiles and the paint is still holding up three years later. It is floor tile too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House