Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into building a new house in Indiana and wondered if anyone browsing this forum has had experience building their house with Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF). I know there are builders in NE indiana that can do this, but I really haven't heard from anyone who's done it. Curious to know how much it cost in comparison to stick-built, and if the results were as expected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:21 PM

177 posts, read 898,967 times
we are an icf installer-----what do you want to know

Moderator cut: Keep business link in profile, please

Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Default ICF vs stick built homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue1 View Post
we are an icf installer-----what do you want to know look at logixicf.com
Thanks for replying. In Indiana the cost to build a house is relatively cheap compared to other states. I'm a research junky and pretty much sold on the benefits of ICF, but I wonder will the extra expenditure required be recoupable if I sell in a few years? (I've been told 10% is a general "premium cost" figure for an ICF vs stick built home - does that sound right to you) Do buyers even recognize the value of ICF vs stick build? ... Is the build quality difference perceivable to someone walking thru an ICF home - or do they typically need to be sold on it? I would not be talking about building a Mcmansion, just a 2k-2.2k square foot 4 bdrm 2 story home on a slab, would the buyers in the market for one of these homes be less inclined to pay more for an ICF home?

I'm most skeptical because I have found that most of my family and friends don't even know what ICF is... perhaps it's too leading edge of an idea for Americans used to stickbuild homes. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM

I think in 10 years 50% will be ICF, who knows what energy costs will be then. ----for those who do not know Insulated concrete forms. The cost is deceiving, if the basement is true living space. Icfs may be cheaper. You don't have to build wood walls and insulate them. The benifits of main level walls are many. Soundproof, blastproof, green building, moldproof. In 10 years everyone will know of icfs and you will recoop your money. Moderator cut: commercial link

Old 08-21-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 13,110 times
Default ICF Home

Hello,

Have you found someone to build your ICF home yet?

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I've been looking into building a new house in Indiana and wondered if anyone browsing this forum has had experience building their house with Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF). I know there are builders in NE indiana that can do this, but I really haven't heard from anyone who's done it. Curious to know how much it cost in comparison to stick-built, and if the results were as expected?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah20 View Post
Hello,

Have you found someone to build your ICF home yet?

Ken
Hi Ken - actually with the housing market the way it is, my wife and I are holding off building a new place. But what I can share with you and everyone else who reads this is that I researched the heck out of this topic and indeed have a wealth of knowledge on this subject now.

What I found most astonishing is that people continue to build with stick-build structures all around here. The benefits of ICF are so substantial, it has just got to be the slow housing market in combination with lack of marketing keeping it a secret in this vicinity.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 12,656 times
Has anyone got any pricing infomation on the actual cost per sq ft? Or is every block priced indivually minus the cost of steel and concrete?

Regards

kelly

Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 PM

692 posts, read 3,142,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Hi Ken - actually with the housing market the way it is, my wife and I are holding off building a new place. But what I can share with you and everyone else who reads this is that I researched the heck out of this topic and indeed have a wealth of knowledge on this subject now.

What I found most astonishing is that people continue to build with stick-build structures all around here. The benefits of ICF are so substantial, it has just got to be the slow housing market in combination with lack of marketing keeping it a secret in this vicinity.
We are considering building our new custom home next spring. Designing it now. Have looked at ICF....SIP panels...and custom stickbuilding to my specs which would be higher quality than the average spec house being put up.
Would be interested in some of what you have found out about ICF as it is next to top of our choices at this time.
Thanks in advance.

Silverfox

Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
I have done several designs using these, in general the design is not too much different. Our clients that did have the homes made out of these "green block" (another name for them) payed roughly 25% more for the house over a "stick built" home, I would say that they will be more substantial in numbers in coming years because of the green movement taking hold in the housing sector.

if done correctly, you would not be able to tell an IFC home from any other house. they can be a pain to design with, if you dont know what is going on with them, and what they require.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM

We are in the process of doing a three story Super Eight motel at this time in middle Tennessee all ICF. If you have any questions on pricing or anything else please PM me, seeing as the Moderator here is very active. Any house or building can be done ICF with no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House