Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your garage used more for parking or storage?
I have a 2 car garage. Both sides are packed with stuff. 6 20.00%
I have a 2 car garage. One side is packed with stuff and the other for the car. 16 53.33%
I have a one car garage and it is packed tight with stuff. 1 3.33%
I have a one car garage and I park the car there. 7 23.33%
What garage? 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times

Advertisements

So do you have a garage and if so is it used more for storage or parking your vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM

Argh, I forgot about folks with 3 car garages. Too late to edit my poll now.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 AM

275 posts, read 1,761,354 times
Default 3 car full of cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
You also forgot about folks with a 3 car garage that has 3 cars in it!

(or a 2 car garage with 2 cars in it!)

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
I voted: I have a one car garage and I park the car there.

It doesn't really completely fit though. I have a 1.5 car garage I guess. It is a little smaller than a two car garage but only has a one car garage door on it. The side with no door is my gym mostly then along the walls there are things hanging and a bench/shelves in the back. Usually there is something where the car would go so I do not park there but when I travel I will make room for it.

It isn't so much that there is so much stuff being stored there but more that that space can be put to better use (there is lumber there for a fence right now).

Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
We park my car in one side and the other side we have stuff in it. However, it isn't 'packed' with stuff.. they are just on the shelves on the side. The only reason we don't park our 2nd vehicle in there is because it is a truck and it doesn't really fit..

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
You also forgot about folks with a 3 car garage that has 3 cars in it!

(or a 2 car garage with 2 cars in it!)
yeah, I should have thought about this a little more..

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Our "garage is odd. It is a Carraige house that is 18' wide and 38' deep. However the width is reduced because a wall was put in when the hay loft was made into an apartment in the 1940s. Thus, the main part of the carraige house is barely wide enough to hold a car. Everyone has to get out before we put the car in becuase we can only leave enough room on one side to get the doors open. There is a lean-to addition on one side that is about 12' wide by about 30' long. The idea was to hold one car plus a riding mower and yard tools, life jackets, paddles, sleds, etc.

We could have room to possibly park three cars in the "garage" However two of them would have to be parked end to end. At the back of the main part of the garage is my work bench and shelves, the compressor, a sink, and whatever my current project happens to be (right now restoring a 1927 magic chef stove). For a while I was able to park one car in the front part of that section, but it is now full of cultured stone and bags of sand and mortar while we save up to hire someone to instal the stone on a fireplace (or I get the guts up to try to do it myself). The other side of the garage was filled with wood and other left over building materials. It has been sitting there fore almost two years waiting for me to do something with it. This past weekend, we burned up some of it and sorted the rest. I will use some of it to build a chicken coop and for other projects, we will put some things on Craig's list (like the old claw foot bath tub that we cannot use) and some things that were painted or otherwise cannot be burned went into a pile for the garbage man. By winter we may be able to get two cars in the three plus car garage.

So, for the past two years we have been able to get one or none of our cars into the garage, but this winter we should be able to get two in and put the mower and roto tiller inside too. Then I will have to change my response.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:02 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
You might be able to get a mod to help you....

We have a 1-1/2 car garage that we can park our van in, the rest of the space is taken by 8 bicycles, a bicycle trailer and lawn equipment.

Coolest feature of our garage? It's a drive-thru.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/16...f25682b2_b.jpg

Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
None of the above?

We have a one-car garage that's so tight the spouse can pull his 2003 Hyundai Accent into it, but can't open the door to get out. It may have been built for a Model T, but even Model Ts had doors that swung out.

So we use the garage for storage. It's not packed tight, just a lawnmower, trash cans, garden stuff, etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
2 car garage, 2 cars living comfortably in it. The way I see it, they're worth more than whatever stuff I could stash in there. And if I'm storing something odds are I'm not using it so I may as well give it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House