Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:34 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times

Advertisements

Onsite agents lied on the number of units the subdivision will have when completed.

I know because the last time I visited the site there is bulldozing happening that are continuing on the street that was not in the materials presented. This would mean more units than what they stated.

Part of my decision going with them is the low density. There ought to be a way to protect investors/buyers from this malady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Yes; it's called due diligence.

Asking an on-site agent is not due diligence- asking the AHJ how much land, lots, and/or phases would have been due diligence. Who lied? The builder? Or the on-site agent (does the agent actually work for the builder, or a real estate co.)?

Recourse?
Find another place, or sue. That's what everybody does these days!

Old 01-01-2018, 07:05 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
"Find another place" is a standard answer, but often far from reality since in many places big builders control all the choices. We experienced something similar three times where we did our due diligence, checked the plot plans, etc. And then after a number of houses were built, the builder goes in and changes the plans to double the density on the remaining lots. We chose where we chose due to the planned density and had we known, it would have changed our decision.

Yes, developers lie and they have the money to get away with it.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
City planner/tax office/building permits office will have public details about platting approved and in process. A realtor/sales agent is not responsible to disclose information. Due diligence is up to the buyer.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Density is density no matter the ultimate size of the development. If density is 4 homes per acre, the density is the same whether there are 100 homes on 25 acres or 400 homes on 100 acres. So maybe someone used the wrong terminology.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:24 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Two examples. In our first home, the area across the street that was platted as residential and green space was re-platted into commercial (strip mall). A major selling point for us was the residential nature of the community and the green space.

In our current home, the area was platted as 1 home per acre density. After the first 9 homes were built, they re-platted the rest as 2 homes per acre. Then after a single street was completed, they re-platted again at 4 homes per acre.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
City planner/tax office/building permits office will have public details about platting approved and in process. A realtor/sales agent is not responsible to disclose information. Due diligence is up to the buyer.

Thanks. I will check with them and see where this leads to. The problem here though is do they really know the future development of the lots? If I had checked with them 6 months ago, would they already know about this? Or is it still based on information being fed to them by way of partial disclosures from Developers?

Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes; it's called due diligence.

Asking an on-site agent is not due diligence- asking the AHJ how much land, lots, and/or phases would have been due diligence. Who lied? The builder? Or the on-site agent (does the agent actually work for the builder, or a real estate co.)?

Recourse?
Find another place, or sue. That's what everybody does these days!

Both builder and agents lied because they are sister companies. The materials I am holding support what they claim which is the density is only this much units "when completed". They even went to the media to promote such number "when completed". Neither gave the impression it was just for a Phase. My question was clear to them and the answer provided to me was also clear.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Density is density no matter the ultimate size of the development. If density is 4 homes per acre, the density is the same whether there are 100 homes on 25 acres or 400 homes on 100 acres. So maybe someone used the wrong terminology.
They specifically gave a total number of units.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Two examples. In our first home, the area across the street that was platted as residential and green space was re-platted into commercial (strip mall). A major selling point for us was the residential nature of the community and the green space.

In our current home, the area was platted as 1 home per acre density. After the first 9 homes were built, they re-platted the rest as 2 homes per acre. Then after a single street was completed, they re-platted again at 4 homes per acre.

The question is would the city hall know about this even from the start? I understand developers look out for themselves. And as someone mentioned here, the answer is due diligence. For that answer to matter though, there ought to be a binding unchangeable final plan provided that people can actually make informed decisions upon. Sure I understand there can be valid changes, like moving one street 10 feet to the right for example. But not the kind of change where Phases 2 to 10 are to be added every 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House