Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 PM

104 posts, read 545,413 times

Advertisements

I just got out of the shower around 5:45pm today and heard this loud buzzing sound. I thought perhaps it was a neighbor and his trimmer, but then I listened and I knew it was insects. I thought one was inside behind the window blinds but no luck. As I listened to the window I heard a loud buzzing above it where the ceiling angles inward. Either wasps or bees are apparently INSIDE the wall! This is a second story window, and the window does not open.

Man, that buzzing is pretty loud. It went for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then the cycle repeats. Very aggressive sounding buzzing. Very creepy. Now that it is night time there is no noise but I know they will be active again tomorrow.

I guess I need to call an exeterminator - ABC Pest Control? I am also thinking I could cut a square out of the drywall and spray it myself, but I don't know.

Anyone else treat something like this themselves?

I went outside and looked and looked but I don't see anything there. There have been a few nests around my home however. I sprayed one today just outside my door - very productive those yellow jackets are!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Don;t try it yourself. Wait till morning and watch the area from outside where you heard it. You will see the bees going in and out...if it is bees. That way you know where the opening is located. Call a bee exterminator and maybe the exterminator can just move them...not kill them.
In any case, do not try it yourself. Depending on where you live, they could be Africanized bees. they hurt bad!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 PM

Thanks! I will watch tomorrow. I will also call an exterminator. I read online that if it is bees that there could be honey inside which needs to be removed or it will rot.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Man, that buzzing is pretty loud. It went for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then the cycle repeats. Very aggressive sounding buzzing. Very creepy. Now that it is night time there is no noise but I know they will be active again tomorrow."

Not sure that sounds like a hive. Could be a single carpenter bee. You could use a finishing nail to poke through the drywall, and then use a spray with a tube.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks Harry. I was thinking the same thing this morning! I recall that this buzzing seemed from a single source as it shifted back and forth about a foot (perhaps between the studs).

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 25,282 times
Hey, I have a similar problem. My house is only 1 story. I have a very very loud buzzing noize at my kitchen window. Nothing else does this in the house. Just this kitchen window. It vibrates the entire wall and all windows on that side of the house. I have looked inside and out and found nothing. It doesnt happen early in the morning. Starts in the evening around 5 or 6 and does it randomly until about 3 or 4 in the morning. Anyone have any thoughts on this?? I seen that there was talk about bugs or bees in general and I have not seen any bees around here since summer. I have seen a few jumping spiders and a few stink bugs recently...This has been going on for about a month maybe more....thanks for reading.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM

288 posts, read 717,013 times
Do you have faux shutters or something similar outside the window? Wasps have a favorite place outside my windows where I have faux shutters. It sounds like they are inside the walls because the buzzing is so loud. However, they are on the outside, but behind the shutter, and the vibrations carry through.

I just spray some wasp spray there and they go away. They come back a lot because I think that is their favorite place :-)

Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"It vibrates the entire wall and all windows on that side of the house."

!!! Never heard of bees being that loud. Is the wall west facing so that it gets warm in late afternoon?

If you can capture that bee, I'm sure Roger Corman would want it to star in a low budget horror film.

Look for holes and gaps in the siding, spray insecticide into them and seal if possible.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 14,482 times
I never heard of a stink bug until we bought this house, I’m so freaked out I want to move! It is January 1st and I find at least four stink bugs in my house each day. I now hear this horrible buzzing sound at night in my wall by the window, do they get in your walls and make a loud buzzing sound, if so, I’m out of here! I literally sleep with a hoodie on my head because they seem to be more “in your face” at night. Can I get rid of them quickly, HELP!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:37 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
From what little I have heard, if there is a nest......you must both kill or remove all bees and remove the all of the nest, or it will act as a very strong attractant for more bees to come and take-up residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House