Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM

212 posts, read 699,832 times

Advertisements

Hello, I want to learn everything,hear all opinions and experiences relating to rubber roofs.I have a garage roof that was shot,so i removed it to just the cinderblock walls.I built a flat/pitched roof with 2x12's and 3/4" ply.Now it's covered with roofing felt and watertight.I'm going to rubber roof it and have a deck.Pros and cons of torchdown versus peel and sick?I am leaning towards the peel and stick,because the torchdown is obviously a skill aquired over time,and is illegal where i am without a FD license.People were installing it over insulated and rocked insides.(and starting fires,...duh)This is not the case here,with all naked wood below as was the front deck when torched down in 94.So who has installed peel and stick?Hows it hold up?Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 AM

No opinions,or replies?None?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Nope, not what most peeps do................

Rubber roofs are not that popular in most homes.

Too expensive, not many peeps will have working experience with it.

I've done one rubber roof in my entire life. Back in them daze we put the glue stuff on with a roller. Rubber went on sort of like putting in a vinyl floor. Customer was pleased with it. Had relatives in the supply end of it, got the materials for a song. On the flat upper section of a big hip roof. They perform very well as long as some monkey does not punch holes in it. Great alternative to hot mopped tar roofs.

They did them on industrial projects but I had zero direct involvement. Nice stuff but probably too expensive for most homes.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 AM

Thanks cosmic! I don't see how you would do a whole roof anywho.For a flat/pitched deck above a living area i can't see how it can be beat.I've got a second floor deck(20x15)above a 1rst flr lv room that hasn't leaked in 15 years.Had an outdoor carpet over it and after years ditched carpet.A few 300lbers on a real hot day compressed the rubber to a 16th" with the seat legs many years before i ditched carpet,i didn't know.

It's going to be peel and stick and with lots of sunny 70-90 days it'll weld the wetsuit tight.
Thanks, but i've allways found cheap to cost alot.I would have leaks and damages after 17 years of a heavily used deck,using standard rool roofing and lap cement.
Thanks for replying,i thought i had bad internet breath.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 AM

Default Maybe in rich areas of the country.

I've seen my share of houses. Can count the number of rubber roof(s) on one hand and have fingers left over.

The one I did the stuff was probably comshaw from some industrial job. I doubt she actually bought the stuff. All of the supplies looked to be industrial in nature. Olde five finger discount in action. We got a brochure for how to put it on. Way too high a quality for houses. That one was all one sheet but I understand it could be seamed.

Ain't seen none in Ohio either.

Some of the old textile mills I've seen that got rehab's along the way had rubber roof. They are humugous buildings with flat roofs. Looked like couple layer jobs with some type of coating afterwards. Apparently works very well in some applications that can afford it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:38 AM

Lets say the rubber for a 20x20/400sq. ft. is $280.For regular roll roofing ang lap cement it's $140.Save $140 and you get one leak that does $500 in damage to ply,insulation,rock and paintjob.I know it's good stuff and it saved me money,time and heartache.
I haven't even had a leaking chinese lug nut. In almost all instances,... but surely home construction, cheaper will bite your azz hard.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I don't know if it is 'rubber' or not but we had a 'melt down' roof using Dibitan(sp) on an almost flat section about 22 years ago.
The bottom edge did get dry and lifted after about 15 years and needed to be cut back but that may have been an 'amateur' installation problem
Sure was nice never worrying about leaks all that time. We've since sold the house but I assume it's still OK

Old 07-15-2009, 05:00 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
I've used Carlisle rubber roofing on a number of flat roof commercial properties. 100% glued down with 8" or 10" glued seam tape and steel edge flashing. It's a job for a commercial roofer. If you f*** up the adhesive you're in big trouble.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 PM

Default That sort of is my personal experience........

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
I've used Carlisle rubber roofing on a number of flat roof commercial properties. 100% glued down with 8" or 10" glued seam tape and steel edge flashing. It's a job for a commercial roofer. If you f*** up the adhesive you're in big trouble.
But sandinmyshoes seems to be saying there is some cheaper maybe knockoff type stuff around today. Everything I knew about in the past was big bucks per square foot.

Maybe there is a better mousetrap afoot. Many folks assuming it is not available. The installation of it is probably squat labor wise to most other roofing products.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Cosmic, It seems to be a better trap flying low.Peel and Seal is one i found but i've yet to aquire any.If you needed to get a permit and therefore could charge more,....then some stuff comes out that anyone can roll out?The bigboxes don't even carry it.When i called roof supplies some had it,but were evasive.I'll get some of it soon,i've been busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House