Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times

Advertisements

What would you think if you saw a classified ad that offered meal preparation, housekeeping, laundry chores and.or providing transportation to stores or doctor appointments and the person that placed the ad was asking for a wage below the legal minimum wage? Only catch was that this was for a maximum of 3 hours daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
What would you think if you saw a classified ad that offered meal preparation, housekeeping, laundry chores and.or providing transportation to stores or doctor appointments and the person that placed the ad was asking for a wage below the legal minimum wage? Only catch was that this was for a maximum of 3 hours daily.
Personally, I'd say its a sign of this economy and that someone is deperate for work. Possibly an illegal immigrant.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,833 times
I thought that too, before I read Va-Cat's response.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
White, middle-aged woman just doing light work for mostly shut-ins. Does a couple hours in a couple homes. I had her go to the market for me for a few things and she weeded my garden. Pleasant woman, not on welfare, just works when she can doing what she can.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I think I would be very careful where I kept my valuables. Also, who has insurance when she drives? Does she have a CDL? The bells are ringing on this one.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Might be okay. Might not. Does she come recommended from a family member or friend? Does she have other references? I certainly would secure the valuables (including medications and drugs) and think twice about having her drive people around without knowing who she really is.

She might be retired and already has some type of income. So the below-minimum wage thing may just be extra money for part-time work.

Doesn't the State or County have a list of persons who do this kind of work?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default Sounds like a knock off approach...........

There are companies that offer this type service. Some local governments have similar programs.

The folks that work in them probably make squat. So this might just be somebody who has experience doing this type of thing but wants to be an independent worker, bypassing the middle man. Those other programs, many you can not pay the worker direct.

So the low wage might be what they expect but better than they got before. Most of these type workers are folks just trying to make a few bucks, stay local fairly close to home and have very flexible hours. Maybe better than most so called work at home schemes, being a waitress or many other jobs.

In my last old neighborhood, some elderly used them, many got the same one for many years. Can be good, but you do need to use care until you know who you are dealing with. The ones I was familar with drove their own cars. It was the drawing point because many elderly could not drive / had no car. Very good for doctor appointments, etc.

I would not automatically assume it is bad or suspect, ask around, ask the right questions up front. Probably do want some type of reference. Be very careful with money and valuables around the house. The right person might be great.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:39 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
ya now a days there are people on the roads holding signs saying will work for food. it's pretty bad.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,856 times
My sister did a lot of house cleaning under the table before she went to school to become a nurse back when she was in her early forties. She still does the house cleaning on the side for extra money, especially since my brother in law is yea close to being on disability for emphysema.

I agree with the previous posters though, it's just a sign of the times. We first saw someone around here back in the fall, standing with a sign that said something to the effect of "Single mom, two kids, will do any kind of work cheap." at the entrance to a strip mall.

The unemployment rate around here is pretty bad and if unemployment benefits hadn't been extended I'd imagine we would see more of the same. I browse some of the free classified sites like Craig's List now and again and have noticed more and more people offering services recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House