Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 PM

133 posts, read 629,513 times

Advertisements

Okay, you have 2 homes. Both are walking distance to great little towns (2 different towns). Both are in incredible school systems. Property taxes are about the same for both homes (outrageously high!).

Home #1: 3 bed/3bath, 2100 sq ft. House has finished basement which is not included in squre feet. Home built 1920. Has large unfinished attic space and is sitting on 7/10 of an acre. House has a major highway running along the back of the house....but pretty far back. You hardly notice even in winter. Attic space is large and could expand. Kitchen needs updating. Baths are new. House is on the market for 1.2 mil.

Home #2: 4 bed/3 bath with 4 extra attic rooms not included in square feet. House is 2500 sq ft. Unfinished basement. House is sitting on 2/10 of an acre (tiny lot!). Is old an old victorian and is on a somewhat busy road/financial district of a very small village. Beautifully restored. House on the market for 1.4 mil.

Now, do you try and get the smaller one with the bigger lot for 1.1? Or, do you try and get the larger one on a busy road with a tiny lot for 1.3?

Is expanding an attic and updating a kitchen really expensive? Would I have to move out of my home while it was being done?

What would you do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 05:59 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,524 times
Over a million, I dont think I would live in either due to traffic issues and financial district. Only my opinion though. Post pics then I will pick one if I had to.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,538 times
I would pick the one down the block on a side street that is a little smaller and costs a lot less!!!

just my opionion though...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
location location location you can change about all else but location

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
Okay, you have 2 homes. Both are walking distance to great little towns (2 different towns). Both are in incredible school systems. Property taxes are about the same for both homes (outrageously high!).

Home #1: 3 bed/3bath, 2100 sq ft. House has finished basement which is not included in squre feet. Home built 1920. Has large unfinished attic space and is sitting on 7/10 of an acre. House has a major highway running along the back of the house....but pretty far back. You hardly notice even in winter. Attic space is large and could expand. Kitchen needs updating. Baths are new. House is on the market for 1.2 mil.

Home #2: 4 bed/3 bath with 4 extra attic rooms not included in square feet. House is 2500 sq ft. Unfinished basement. House is sitting on 2/10 of an acre (tiny lot!). Is old an old victorian and is on a somewhat busy road/financial district of a very small village. Beautifully restored. House on the market for 1.4 mil.

Now, do you try and get the smaller one with the bigger lot for 1.1? Or, do you try and get the larger one on a busy road with a tiny lot for 1.3?

Is expanding an attic and updating a kitchen really expensive? Would I have to move out of my home while it was being done?

What would you do????
Real estate is about land and location. I don't think either choice seems optimal for several reasons - overpriced for the amount of land, ages of the homes, and locations (the 2nd location is in a financial district which is good, but unless you are talking about San Francisco, Chicago, or Manhattan I'd look elsewhere for more bang for the buck).

Old 04-26-2007, 08:43 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
1. You don't mention geographic location, but in my neck of the woods, both are vastly overpriced as represented. See if there is more bang for your buck available.

2. Assuming these are the only 2 houses in the world, I'd go for the $1.2 million bargain on the much larger lot. Here's why.

The price differential is $200,000.

You could do one heck of an expansion/renovation for $200K, get a layout you actually designed, and still have the flexibility and privacy of the larger lot.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
I just moved from a high cost area (DC), and even then, for $1.2 million, I would expect the kitchen to be updated.

Ignoring that, I'd probably go with the 1920s since I prefer the craftsman/bungalow movement to Victorian. But you didn't even say its craftsman, I just assumed from the era.

Go with your gut. Which house feels right to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
The price differential is $200,000.
To the OP: Keep in mind that $200k is the total budget of a lot of folks on this forum. That is likely going to affect the responses you get. You probably would have gotten better answer if, rather than listing price and shocking us all, you mentioned the different in price was less than 2%.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Sorry, I shouldn't have put a price. I had no idea that I would offend anyone. Just wanted some advice. My apologies.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Oh and the geographic location. The 1920s home is in Scarsdale, NY and the Victorian is in Bronxville, ny.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 10,371 times
I live in New York and I would take the house in Scarsdale. The schools there are rated one of the best in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House