Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 10:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times

Advertisements

You've helped me out with my heating issue and I decided to go w/ baseboard heaters. [no ducts available, cheap electricity where I live,etc.]

But what about PTAC? Anyone have these units? These are the kind many motels/hotels have. They are thru the wall and run off thermostats.

Packaged Thermal Air Conditioner....has heat pump inside.

http://www.ptacunits.com/images/digital.jpg (broken link)

Right now I have 4 window a/c units in my home (kitchen/livingroom/2bedrooms) Plus I'm looking into 5500 watts worth of baseboard heat running off 240volts. These PTAC units look pretty good compared to window units and baseboards. Do you know anything about these units? [PTHP are the ones w/ the heat pump instead of the electric heat strip so PTHP is what I am looking into]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
Hello VegasGrace,

I have two Carrier PTAC units we installed in add-on sunrooms (one built specially for the dogs, but that is another story ). Anyhow I am not familiar with that brand but can give you some insight into PTAC units in general.

Pros:

1. With the heat pump configuration you can remove the need for the baseboard heaters.

2. Since you will have multiple units you can easily control heat and cool in various sections of the home.

3. When a unit requires replacement you can replace just one and not a whole, or major parts of, a fully ducted system.

Cons:

1. For each unit you put in you will most likely require separate 240V electrical runs which will also mean having space in the main breaker distribution box, an electricians time and the cost of additional hardware, cables, etc.

2. By running PTAC units you can save some on your electric bills by controlling sections of your home but if you have a family that is out the window. Even with a heat pump these units will consume a large amount of electricity handling a whole home.

3. You will need to create appropriate sized openings in walls and properly brace them when installed. These can easily span across, and through, stud bays and will require additional bracing be added to make up for the lost studs.

4. Even the best units have the potential for leakage from rain entering the casing from the outside. Our sunrooms are designed to handle any of this leakage and it is visible when it happens. In your situation you can have leakage go undetected for long periods. Remember that hotels and motels usually have overhangs that protect these from rain, for the most part.

5. Because of the way they operate there will be air infiltration through the units casing and components which can affect your operation (make it run longer, harder) and affect your electric bill. You will hear that these units are "Very well sealed". Fact is the seals are like anything else and wil degrade over time.

6. Because they are required to be exposed on the exterior side, to allow the coils to perform their job, they will require more maintenance in the form of cleaning regularly. I see you are in Vegas? I'm sure you have dusty conditions there and the coils will need to be cleaned more often. Keep in mind that you will have to be careful if you hose them down as you do not want to cause water damage to the home through the openings. Along with this the exterior casings are generally not screened and you can easily have bees, wasps, etc., building nests in there.

7. The interior filters on the unit will also require more attention than a standard ducted system. These filters can become dirty and clogged quickly, they are not meant to be left, in your configuration, for a month at a time.

I see the unit you are looking at appears to be an Amana unit. Depending on your heating and cooling needs these can run you up to $3200 just for the units themselves (based on one for each you now have). Add into that the cost of the electrical discussed before, the extra labor to create the openings, the cost of the labor to install them, etc., etc. and you start reaching a pricey solution.

These units are good for their intended use which is mostly small hotel rooms, small additions (like mine) and very small residences when one or two would suffice. I would expect with four window units now you most likely have a smaller home, one story, etc. Have you looked into the cost of adding central heat and air? You can obtain packaged units where everything is located outside the home and ducted into the home and through the attic, if attic access and space does not allow installation there.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for your time and thoughts. No matter what kind of heating system I put in I have to have an electrician put in a subpanel and then wire it up.

I've had forced air before and just wasn't a fan (heat pump and furnace) so I'm trying to think outside the box for my 800 square foot home. It's a mobile home so each room is adjacent to the next...all in a row. I even had the one unit that had the BTUs for my size but since the heat came from one source there were cold spots in the home the further away you got.

I have Energy Star window a/c units and even in the heat of summer my electric bill never got over 50 bucks. Last year I froze w/ plug in heaters that kept tripping the breaker and my bill got up to $160....I don't have that many circuits so finding outlets is impossible so couldn't use a hairdryer or microwave and the heaters at the same time.

Baseboards seem the way to go, I guess. I'm just so lost on the inexpensive 'standard' and these new 'hydronic' ones they have at Lowes/Home Depot for 6x as much. They are standalone units that are wired in.

Thanks again for shedding light on the ptac units. The lowest BTU I can find is around 7k and my room sizes only require 5 at most....so even 7 would be overkill.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM

3,069 posts, read 8,408,864 times
In your situation the PTAC units may very well be the way to go! Instead of multiple units though have you considered only two, depending on heating and cooling size of each unit? You might be able to add "Jump Ducts" into the rooms from their hallway side. These are just ducts that penetrate the wall from one side to the other. You could do a jump duct high and one low on the hallway wall of the bedrooms and bathroom. This might provide sufficient air movement with a unit placed close by the hall, if possible.

A good HVAC company can give you many alternatives to save on the number of required units.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
You can get mini-splits and have multiple indoor units and one single outdoor unit. You can have zoned A/C without cutting big holes in your home for the PTACs. What are the prices of the ones you're looking at? The only penetration for mini-splits is a small one for the refrigerant lines and power.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 AM

PTAC/PTHPs aren't that expensive for the size I need. Since I only have 800 square feet for my entire home, I could get one really big one for 2-3k but I'd prefer 2-3 small ones for 700 bucks each. Those splits are way more expensive.

The lg split system, quad...is on sale for $6000.00
or 4 individual ones for $2800

Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 20,169 times
PTAC units can be a really good alternative, especially if you have a small place. Here is some good info on how to pick which size. It is pretty helpful! Help Choosing Your PTAC HVAC Units

Last edited by emarie15; 09-13-2012 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House