Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times

Advertisements

I hired a company to put impact windows into my home. It took nearly 2 months to manufacture. They came out and immediately the installer said he had a problem and that the window was too small for the opening. The window has 1/2 inch to 6/8 inch gaps ALL around the frame. Is this acceptable or should I ask for my deposit back and take my business elswhere. These are custom made windows, but it is obvious they got the measurements all wrong.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Is the installer saying the gap is too wide to shim properly? Could you add a thin strip of wood around the window openings to lessen the gap? Will the window trim hide the gap?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 AM

yes...they want to put wood bucking around the opening to get rid of the gap. But my question is when is too much too much ? At one point do you say that the window is TOO small for the opening and refuse the product ??

Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
First I wonder if it was your contractor who said the term 6/8ths. If it was then fire him before he brings tools into his house. 6/8ths huh. I guess a more proper term of 3/4" is not in his vocabulary.

Anyway first I must know what type of window it is. If it is what they call new construction windows which will have nailing fins which nail to the outside sheathing and the siding covers those fins, up to 3/4" gap is at the very top range of acceptable. The nailing fin is about an inch and a half so there is play room for error.

What some refer to as old work window (I know I am using old lingo here) or what is more commonly referred to replacement windows I still say it is at the top of acceptable range. A replacement window is where they only remove the old sashes and the trim that holds it. A new entire window unit is custom made to fit the opening of your 4 old existing window jambs. No drywall, no trim and no siding outside is disturbed. The new repacement window comes with about 7/8th shoe or even square trim which nails to the jambs to hold in the new window assembly. So as you can see there is only about an eigth inch nailing room but they can also just nail the jamb side. Once it is all caulked in it will be good for life.

You can do something else to make you feel better. The window wraping should have some specs printed with minimum and max tolerances. I do believe you are within acceptable but on the very high end.

Your alternative is to wait another 2 months so they can make another one. By the way. Did you make the mistake of buying these from Home Depot? That would explain all your troubles and the very stupid amount of time you had to wait. Any window company should make those windows in 14 days. Anyone. Even during the boom times we only had to wait 21 days.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 PM

desert sun..these are actually hurricane impact windows. They are replacement windows for my 22 year old windows. The house is CBS. They are custom made. I am the one that came up with the 6/8 inch measurement. But yes...I meant 3/4 of an inch. Around the entire opening versus the window frame, I have a 1/2 inch to a 3/4 inch gap. I have pictures and the story here on this thread : //www.city-data.com/forum/miami...-shutters.html

I am pissed off because the windows are not of proper size...but they owner of the co. says they will still fit without issue. Obviousely it's going to be more work...more wood bucking, more stucco, but he assures me 100% it will pass inspection. Please check out the pics and read the thread and tell me what you think.

I am getting impact windows for 2 main reasons....not b/c of hurricanes since I already have aluminum storm shutters. The reason I am getting them is:

1. NOISE REDUCTION
2. EFFICIENCY
3. SECURITY FACTOR

The fact that they have to "build up" the window opening to allow the window to fit, will not have any effect on noise reduction or efficiency, will it ??

Old 10-01-2009, 01:41 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
My question is simple: Who took the measurements?

Just about anything is possible, depending on what you want and how much work you're willing to do to get it. Shoot, you could even frame in the current openings and have windows half the original size. But that's not necessarily what you want.

From what I can tell, by your description, you should be able to slip a 1x4 or 1x6 in between the window and sash. It'll be solid enough. But do you really want to go to all the work with the interior drywall and exterior stucco?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM

Omaha.....I am not going to be doing that work. They messed up the measurements, so the installer is going to be doing all that extra work while I sit back and relax. And they better not mess up my house and clean all their crap up afterwards !

Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Omaha.....I am not going to be doing that work. They messed up the measurements, so the installer is going to be doing all that extra work while I sit back and relax. And they better not mess up my house and clean all their crap up afterwards !
Good.

If they can guarantee their work - and are NOT going to charge you extra for THEIR screw-up - you should be okay.

Even so, if I were you, I'd be taking all kinds of pictures of the process.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
desert sun..these are actually hurricane impact windows. They are replacement windows for my 22 year old windows. The house is CBS. They are custom made. I am the one that came up with the 6/8 inch measurement. But yes...I meant 3/4 of an inch. Around the entire opening versus the window frame, I have a 1/2 inch to a 3/4 inch gap. I have pictures and the story here on this thread : //www.city-data.com/forum/miami...-shutters.html

I am pissed off because the windows are not of proper size...but they owner of the co. says they will still fit without issue. Obviousely it's going to be more work...more wood bucking, more stucco, but he assures me 100% it will pass inspection. Please check out the pics and read the thread and tell me what you think.

I am getting impact windows for 2 main reasons....not b/c of hurricanes since I already have aluminum storm shutters. The reason I am getting them is:

1. NOISE REDUCTION
2. EFFICIENCY
3. SECURITY FACTOR

The fact that they have to "build up" the window opening to allow the window to fit, will not have any effect on noise reduction or efficiency, will it ??
Hey just so you know I was not picking on you about the 6/8ths thing. I would not expect an the averge person to be able to read a ruler but I cringed thinking maybe a contractor might have said that.

I should have also added that usually the top and bottom gap have tollerances higher then 3/4". On the bottom of a replacement window as you said they are, there is channel extention (I dont remember the proper name) that slides up and down to extend the length. The replacement window kit comes with a prefit presized piece of insulation which you put inside this channel. Make sure they do it because I see lots of installers toss it when no one is looking.

I would like to see the side gaps at a quarter inch but I do feel 3/4ths is acceptable. I really would like to see them use the spray foam insulation to fill that gap before installing the replacement molding that secures the window assembly to your old jambs.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:34 PM

i will take pics for sure ! thanks for all the advice folks...much appreciated !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House