Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,467 times

Advertisements

by black he means "drywall"
by gold he means "coarse thread wood screws" you could use deck screws, but predrill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
I am changing all my doors' hinge screws from 1 inch to 3 inch screws.

The 1 inch screws only go so far into the pine wood door frame while 3 inch screws will go all the way to the stud behind the door frame.

Am I at the risk of pulling the door stud to hard or causing door casing to go side ways?
I think that this is a good idea. Maybe not ALL of the screws, but at least one on each hinge. Maybe two.

You could even go with a 3 1/2 inch, heavy screw.

I'd suggest you go with torx-head screws. They're MUCH easier to drive than phillips head screws.

Just be sure you pre-drill each of the holes, with a 1/8th inch drill bit. If you don't do that, you're apt to cause splits in the sash & frame.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Keep in mind that when someone kicks in your door, they hardly ever kick on the hinge side. They place a kick to the door knob and in it goes.

A 10# sledge hammer to the knob and deadbolt is all it takes, and you are in the house in seconds.

Longer screws in the hinges will make the hinges stronger, but will have little or no effect in keeping someone from breaking in. The door jamb usually splits at the locksets when the door is kicked in.

A trash can thru the window is equally as fast. It just makes a little more noise.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:20 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,467 times
you can reinforce where the lock goes into the opposite side of the frame, my favorite is a piece of small steel pipe behind the striker plate, driven into the stud lol

Old 10-03-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Keep in mind that when someone kicks in your door, they hardly ever kick on the hinge side. They place a kick to the door knob and in it goes.

A 10# sledge hammer to the knob and deadbolt is all it takes, and you are in the house in seconds.

Longer screws in the hinges will make the hinges stronger, but will have little or no effect in keeping someone from breaking in. The door jamb usually splits at the locksets when the door is kicked in.

A trash can thru the window is equally as fast. It just makes a little more noise.
I don't think that security was the goal of the OP. It's a given that longer screws in the hinges won't keep the door from getting kicked in. But a highly secured door won't keep a window from getting broken out.

There's only so secure we can make our homes without turn them into fortresses.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Omaha, you are right. Desertsun was the one to bring up the "security" issue.

I think that one long screw per hinge is probably all that is needed to make the hinge jamb as secure as it needs to be. The jamb itself should be secured to the wall studs in at least three locations too. That would be six total for the entire jamb. Any more I think is overkill. IMHO

Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Omaha, you are right. Desertsun was the one to bring up the "security" issue.

I think that one long screw per hinge is probably all that is needed to make the hinge jamb as secure as it needs to be. The jamb itself should be secured to the wall studs in at least three locations too. That would be six total for the entire jamb. Any more I think is overkill. IMHO
Yeah, you're right.

However, your comment about the jamb being "secured to the walls studs" is not necessarily true. It should be true, but I wouldn't bet on it. The more renovation work I do - both at home and at rental property - I am absolutely dumbfounded by the crappy work done by people who call themselves carpenters. Not all, mind you, but some.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I think that this is a good idea. Maybe not ALL of the screws, but at least one on each hinge. Maybe two.

You could even go with a 3 1/2 inch, heavy screw.

I'd suggest you go with torx-head screws. They're MUCH easier to drive than phillips head screws.

Just be sure you pre-drill each of the holes, with a 1/8th inch drill bit. If you don't do that, you're apt to cause splits in the sash & frame.

Security is my main concern, of course.

I did all of them but a few that I did not pre-drill. I hope it's OK. :-( I'll back those (not pre-drilled) out 1 turn tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
just reinforce the door jamb with a strikeMaster. Home of STRIKEMASTER II Pro Door Frame Reinforcement. Keep your door from being kicked in. (http://www.asafehome.net/index.html - broken link)

LOL

I'm a contractor and I can get into any house. Through the door, windows, brick wall or wood siding wall.

Even if your house is built with exterior walls made of concrete I could still get in through your roof.

I worked on several prisons built here here and was amazed at what went into buildings just to keep people locked up. And people were still able to break out giving enough time.

busta

Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
LOL

I'm a contractor and I can get into any house. Through the door, windows, brick wall or wood siding wall.

Even if your house is built with exterior walls made of concrete I could still get in through your roof.

I worked on several prisons built here here and was amazed at what went into buildings just to keep people locked up. And people were still able to break out giving enough time.

busta
Of course you can get into any house. Any of us can. But that's not really the point.

Securing your house doesn't make it impossible for somebody to get in. It makes it less likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House