Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times

Advertisements

My parents had a '60s ranch house and the main bathroom had a closet with a laundry chute straight to the laundry room in the basement. It worked great. It doesn't seem like it would be too expensive either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
I think it was by building code that my builder had to install a catch pan under the washer with a drain line that goes to the basement. This was a big concern for me but I feel much better with the drain line. I plan on extending it into the sump pump so it doesn't flood the basement.

I still worry about the hot/cold supply lines that supply water to the washer. I plan on buying one of those solenoid kits that detect water and shut off the valves.
I have been in at least two new constructions without any catch pan. And a couple of the pans that I have seen would not hold much water in case of a line failure.

Two years ago, I suffered $7k in damages when selenoid switch on the ice maker in my Whirlpool refrigerator started spewing out water.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:13 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Well, for the stairs I have found that the main issue is walking DOWN the stairs with the clean laundry.

WHat is currently working [just tried it] is a vertical [trash can style] plastic hamper as opposed to using a basket. The problem down the steps is if the basket is in front of me I cannot see my feet going down - going up it does not bother me.

The hamper I can hold to my side with one arm. [I know they make baskets curved to carry on a hip but this seems to work somewhat better]

Ok, I am 50 years old and have not had a washer flood, my parents never had one and my grandmother never had one. I know it does happen and it is bad when it does, but a tree can also hit the roof, no? I have had washers leak before when they were on their last legs - but not a big flood.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Speaking of those drain pans... where can you buy a new one?

When moving into my new house, the stupid movers cracked my drain pan when placing the washer on it. It has a huge crack and I am sure will not give me any protection if a flood were to occur.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
Put it in a large trash bag, throw it down the stairs. Put it back in the bag and drag it or push it up the stairs. I have to tie a rope on the bag, go up the stairs and pull it up. I have been working on a solution for this for quite a while. I have severe arthritis, live alone in a apartment, and am totally disabled. I do not have the money to pay someone as I live on a fixed income. There are no volunteer groups where I live that do this for people, and I do not qualify for government programs that assist people. I have been deemed "too independent"..I need to fall down and get hurt first so I can't do anything. Thus I had to come up with a solution.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
I bundle my dirty clothes in a towel after my shower, carry them to the landing and let them drop into my foyer. Works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House