Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 PM

113 posts, read 263,358 times

Advertisements

We live in a great sub-Division. It is also a horse community, of which, we hold the lease to the Barn. Our aim is to provide excellent horse care to residence of our community. We have an individual lease with terms and conditions between us and any resident boarders....

We, however, have one resident boarder that has breached the terms of our agreement totally and because of this we gave them 1 month notice to leave. ( our biggest term is that we have 'zero' tolerance to abuse).

Our HOA are now holding us ransom !! They refused to renew our lease ( at this point I must say that, when we took the barn over 2 years ago it was an absolute mess! We have put a lot of our own money into updating and improving the facility, to the advantage of the residence, horse owners or not, and the value of thier properties) if we don't allow this family to continue boarding at our barn....

Over the past 2 years we have given them numerous warnings about thier behaviour and the decision to terminate their contract was not an 'off the cuff' reaction.

The HOA have basically rendered our contract useless because they have told us...If we don't allow these people, because they are resident, to board thier horse they will take away our lease !!!

I am at a loss for words!!! How do they get away with this !!????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM

113 posts, read 263,358 times
It's funny.... When I spoke to my lawyer about this problem she 'basically' said; In NC HOA is GOD!!!.... Link this post with my " christianity" post!! lol

Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 AM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
I am at a loss for words!!! How do they get away with this !!????
Unfortunately, this area is primarily HOA run with most new development. You will find many HOA's are run by people that are power hungry. They like the feeling of having control over people. What normally could be a good thing ends up getting ruined by people that like to abuse power. If I had my way, I would ban all HOA's, but that will never happen. I would contact an attorney as soon as possible. Lawsuits are the only thing they will listen to. They don't care about what you want or have done.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
What does your lease to the barn say? Does it address your rights regarding this? What does the HOA say regarding the violations of the board lease that the person you kicked out committed? What kind of rule violations are we talking about here? (I used to work at a boarding stables to support my horse habit before we got our own place, so am somewhat familiar with the kinds of rules that might be applicable, though we never had to give someone the boot.)

Perhaps you could approach it from the perspective of the HOA's rules and the fact that someone that thinks the rules don't apply to them is very likely to think that the HOA's rules don't apply to them, either, and get some sympathy that way.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
stop paying the lease to the HOA, and refuse to do so until they at least agree to hear the WHOLE story, it seems to me that if enough residents agreed to testify to the HOA about the abuse, or if you caught it on tape, they would have no leg to stand on

Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
oh, and if it's cruelty to animals, call animal services, they won't have a horse TO board

Old 10-10-2009, 05:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Death to HOA. If it wasn't illegal I'd say burn it all down. What could be legal is to put it up for sale and walk away never to return to an HOA.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Be sure you have a paper trail. Put everything in a letter to the Board, management and the local humane society. You may also consider contacting the local media. (tv stations, newspaper)

Old 10-11-2009, 06:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
HOAs are communist organizations. A communist regime is defined by some one not human making stupid rules that benfit no one except their own pocket at the expense of your freedom and liberty and their ever growing fat power hungry heads.

The usual and only argument in favor of commy HOAs is they prevent homeowners from letting their homes look like trash and the old junk cars in the front yard fantasy. All this protection for several hundred dollars a month to more then a thousand a month. Now every city, town and municapality already employs zoning officers who's very job is to give warnings and tickets to violators who put junk cars out on the lawn. The best part? This service is already covered in the property taxes you pay. So who needs a money grabbing power hungry commy to steal your money?

Our fathers and our fathers father fought and shed blood to preserve our freedoms and stamp out communism. Now today we have these commy organizations who are not only promoting communism but encourging it.

The only good HOA is a dead HOA. I am sorry you got suckered into that HOA.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
HOAs are communist organizations. A communist regime is defined by some one not human making stupid rules that benfit no one except their own pocket at the expense of your freedom and liberty and their ever growing fat power hungry heads.

The usual and only argument in favor of commy HOAs is they prevent homeowners from letting their homes look like trash and the old junk cars in the front yard fantasy. All this protection for several hundred dollars a month to more then a thousand a month. Now every city, town and municapality already employs zoning officers who's very job is to give warnings and tickets to violators who put junk cars out on the lawn. The best part? This service is already covered in the property taxes you pay. So who needs a money grabbing power hungry commy to steal your money?

Our fathers and our fathers father fought and shed blood to preserve our freedoms and stamp out communism. Now today we have these commy organizations who are not only promoting communism but encourging it.

The only good HOA is a dead HOA. I am sorry you got suckered into that HOA.
This is what I mean by a good point!

I agree with this. A lot of suburbs love HOAs because it excuses them the responsibility of enforcing codes and ordinances, and I hear some areas even require HOAs now!

Any savings homeowners might see in their taxes are usually eaten up by HOA dues; sometimes you end up forking over more than you would if the HOA did not exist and the city had to do its own code enforcement. I might use the word "overbearing" instead of "communist" but I agree in general with this. HOAs are awful, awful, awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House