Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 AM

42 posts, read 98,775 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with AMSA (Alarm Monitoring Service Of Atlanta) or Ackerman? They both have some of the most and best reviews on Kudzu. I'm trying to decide between either one of them. AMSA is a lot cheaper though, I'm not sure of that will effect the service level.

Also, we have big bay windows that are ground level and near the road. Is it worth paying extra for one of those glass breaking alert systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Have your daughter contact her insurance company and inquire about deals for security systems (they usually do a discount through a respected installer/monitor company). And it may reduce her H/O insurance premium as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM

48 posts, read 156,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Have your daughter contact her insurance company and inquire about deals for security systems (they usually do a discount through a respected installer/monitor company). And it may reduce her H/O insurance premium as well.
+1...Def chk with her H/O insurance co. We have ADT and pay ~25/mo for monitoring with USAA discount. Our home is fairly large (8k+ sq ft), so ALL windows and doors are monitored at all levels w/motion sensors in key areas.

We also have closed circuit video surveillance (8 cameras) to give us 360 degree awareness of the property esp around the home (circular driveway, pool area, backyard, front door, etc). Stores 30 days of video on dedicated HD and captures/logs all events triggered by movement. Our area is very safe, but since wife works at home, its extra peace of mind and i like playing with home automation/surveillance technology its all about having "layers" of security.

imo at the very least get some monitoring done...or have her move to a better area.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Paying a monthly fee for alarm monitoring sounds silly to me. I mean, by the time ADT (or any company) receives the alarm, notifies the police, the police notify the officer, and the officer responds to your home...the burglar is going to be long gone by then anyway. I would like to see a statistic about what percentage of criminals are actually caught by a monitored alarm system. The house I bought last year came with an alarm system preinstalled, but we don't have it monitored. The audible alarm is so deafening it will draw the attention of all my neighbors within a 2-block radius.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 AM

332 posts, read 1,387,096 times

This seems to work

Old 12-01-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Paying a monthly fee for alarm monitoring sounds silly to me. I mean, by the time ADT (or any company) receives the alarm, notifies the police, the police notify the officer, and the officer responds to your home...the burglar is going to be long gone by then anyway. I would like to see a statistic about what percentage of criminals are actually caught by a monitored alarm system. The house I bought last year came with an alarm system pre installed, but we don't have it monitored. The audible alarm is so deafening it will draw the attention of all my neighbors within a 2-block radius.
"Sounds silly"? Not at all. You have that preconceived notion that a security system is the stop all and the police will respond whenever they choice too.
Here's what I think you really pay for- a system that protects your family and property to the best extent possible, especially when you're at home. When the "bad guy" wants in- he'll get in regardless of the system. It's the deterrents that most people don't follow through on and make it inviting to the "bad guy". Making sure doors and windows are locked (believe me- you'd be surprised) and they are visually clear (no overgrown trees and shrubs). Don't leave valuables in plain view. There's nothing better than having something of value in plain sight (in other words, dress windows so it is hard to see in)- if the "bad guy" wants it, he's going get it.
"The audible alarm is so deafening it will draw the attention of all my neighbors within a 2-block radius"- I wish all systems came with that kind of alarm. I'd definitely be up looking to see if I could see anything.

I don't know about the statistics either, but I'd look at it this way- material things can be replaced and hopefully no one is hurt or worse.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post

This seems to work
That picture says it all-
Gotta Love IT!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:54 AM

48 posts, read 156,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Sounds silly"? Not at all. You have that preconceived notion that a security system is the stop all and the police will respond whenever they choice too.
Here's what I think you really pay for- a system that protects your family and property to the best extent possible, especially when you're at home. When the "bad guy" wants in- he'll get in regardless of the system. It's the deterrents that most people don't follow through on and make it inviting to the "bad guy". Making sure doors and windows are locked (believe me- you'd be surprised) and they are visually clear (no overgrown trees and shrubs). Don't leave valuables in plain view. There's nothing better than having something of value in plain sight (in other words, dress windows so it is hard to see in)- if the "bad guy" wants it, he's going get it. "The audible alarm is so deafening it will draw the attention of all my neighbors within a 2-block radius"- I wish all systems came with that kind of alarm. I'd definitely be up looking to see if I could see anything.

I don't know about the statistics either, but I'd look at it this way- material things can be replaced and hopefully no one is hurt or worse.
^ Exactly, its layers of security. The more layers, the better. The fact that the SIREN is LOUD is what you want. You want it to attract attention and wake YOU and the neighbors. Set the system to instant, and based on motion or opening of window/door, then that may be enough to startle and scare the would-be thief away. I WANT my alarm to SCREAM instantly if at 3am the door or window is opened and my family is sound asleep 2 floors up.

As for arrests, its not the alarm itself that is responsible for this. What thief is gonna hang out while the alarm is blaring and police are on the way. The surv cameras are set up for another layer. Once again, the more I can give authorities anything that can help nab the crooks (assuming they succeed), the better. Recall that adoptive couple in FL who got killed and the security cam caught the van on vid and eventually led to arrests. I could care less about protecting my material things (plasma tvs, jewelry, etc), but its more for the protecting my family.

Bottom line...if someone wants in they will get in. Nothing is 100%, but something is better than nothing. fwiw, my last layer is a Glock

Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,809 times
Most people think "I will make my house less attractive..." Well, the definition of attractiveness in burglar's world is very different. The main attractiveness to them is convenience, which means how easy you make your stuff accessible to burglars.

You know why nobody tried to knock over the Federal Reserve in NYC where most of the world's gold is stored? It's just toooo inconvenient to do that. Their gold is buried under 9 floors of hard rock. Only one way in with a HUGE water&air tight gate. Not to mention they have their own police force/armed guards.

If you want to make your house less attractive, then add as many layers of security measure as possible.

1. Good doors installed with good frame and good locks - I am talking about quality, not how they look
2. Actually use and lock your doors, especially your garage door and close your windows
3. Security system sign everywhere
4. Large dogs (get German Shephard or Rots, not big chiwawa) roaming around
5. Security film on all glass windows
6. No ladder around to access second floor
7. Use blinds and frosted windows so that nobody can peek inside
8. Do not park cars on the ungated drive way or street overnight, park them inside of your garage.
9. Get your security system monitored, wireless system would be better
10. Thorny bushes around windows that accessible from the first floor
11. Do not display, show off or brag your expensive collections or your trophy wife
12. Do not hang out with shady friends - do not have parties where people unknown to you show up
13. burglar bomb if you are really paranoid

Old 12-01-2009, 02:56 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
As I mentioned, our ADT alarm system includes smoke detectors that are tied into the fire department. One day I burned something on the stove - the smoke alarm went off (you can hear it all over the neighborhood). I went outside to tell my husband that I had reset the alarm not realizing that ADT had called the few seconds I was outside. They couldn't get in touch with me so the fire department arrived in less than 5 minutes after ADT attempted to contact us and couldn't...I was thoroughly embarassed but I was also very impressed at the quick response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House