Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I built my house 12 years ago. Kitchen and bath cabinets are RTA bought from Home Depot. Flat panel white. Very quick and easy to assemble. I added a top and bottom bull nose to the upper cabinets. They look and operate today as they did 12 years ago. At the time, I saved about $2500 not including an installer labor cost.
d4g4m, I'm glad to read that your choices worked out well for you. If there were warping issues with your cabinets, you would have seen them pretty fast.....certainly in your geographic location with humidity.

Do you think it's probable that since you purchased the cabinets 12 years ago they were produced in the USA? I have no idea when all the furniture and cabinet imports began to enter this country en mass. I suspect the Internet has increased the sale of imported kitchen cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,002,894 times
desert sun, I've always loved oak. I began collecting antique oak furniture when I was a teen. I love any old wood. I wasn't interested in the new stuff at the time. I'd still much rather have pieces produced prior to 1910-1920. I wasn't fond of quartersawn back then. I called it 'tiger oak' and found the flowing grain more desirable. Now, with my advanced age, I appreciate it for what it is. Plus, it's a much stronger wood.

I guess I'm ready for a change. I had to loosen up my brain some. The maple kinda looks like a throwback to the 1950s to me. But in a smallish kitchen, within a large open area, it should look good...........I hope. I'm using a nice trim that will give it a classic look, and with bin pulls......yeah, I'm trying to make myself believe that it's OK to move away from oak. That side of the house doesn't get much natural light. I hope it feels brighter with the lighter, smoother look.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is true that veneer over particle board does remain flat and true for a thousand years.
I am sorry but REALLY NOW...how can anyone (or any company for that matter) make that claim???

The process hasn't even been around 100 years.

I am not in disagreement with anything else though.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I am sorry but REALLY NOW...how can anyone (or any company for that matter) make that claim???

The process hasn't even been around 100 years.

I am not in disagreement with anything else though.
I guess for all the same reasons that the environmentalists can claim that plastic soda bottles take 300 years to decompose. How do they know this?

Particle board was invented about 1950. It sure has come a long way since but still has a whole lot of bad publicity and a lot of old wives tales floating around about it. Most of which are only partially true.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
d4g4m, I'm glad to read that your choices worked out well for you. If there were warping issues with your cabinets, you would have seen them pretty fast.....certainly in your geographic location with humidity.

Do you think it's probable that since you purchased the cabinets 12 years ago they were produced in the USA? I have no idea when all the furniture and cabinet imports began to enter this country en mass. I suspect the Internet has increased the sale of imported kitchen cabinets.
Yes if they purchased RTAs from the big orange then they are Mills Pride and are 100% made in the USA. But like all low quality products, they all die. Such is the case for Mills Pride. I believe Mills Pride is sold under another name today. I read in a trade journal that the big orange was going to discontinue selling them but I have seen them in some stores still but not all. Maybe they are just slowly phasing them out.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,098 times
If you looking for a high-end RTA cabinet, cabinet shop quality, check into Conestoga, made in the USA. NorthernGraniteandCabinetry.com is one of their on-line re-sellers.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
you should get your facts correct. i build custom cabinets & 99% of the plywood that is supplied comes from china. ALL glue used in particle board, mdf, osb, plywood, contains formaldehyde. i purchased over 500k in rta cabinets from a failed company & the finish is better than kraftmaid. oh, by the way, masco ordered over 68MM$ worth of cabinet doors, drawer fronts, face frames & components from a chinese mfg in 2007.
as far as your example of a scratched door replaced by a US oem. read the kraftmaid limited warranty. it specificially says they do not guarantee an "exact" match of colors if they replace a door or drawer front.
there is a lot a garbage out there coming from china. but i've seen a lot a garbage build by mfgs in the US. in this thread, someone talked about cardell ... what garbage. factory is san antionio & they are quanity not quality.
as far as particle board vs plywood. by industry standards, as kcma, a cabinet with a plywood box is considered an "all wood" cabinet.
& if you think particle board is superior product to plywood, go into a 10 or 20mm$ home & see if you find any particle board ... NOT!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaosu View Post
The rta cabinets made in USA is much more high level than the cabinets made in other country. but the price is same higher.

As I know the most rta cabinets importer and wholesaler choose purchase rta cabinets from the factory in china directly..
Translation please? Or is this an advertisement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House