Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,738,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
"In a pinch, I just plan to move in with Ms. Lisa. Hey, I don't even care if she puts my stuff on the lawn every so often, I usually only use a light traveling bag anyway. One thing about Good Men, they will adapt'
Cosmic

I geuss you gotta have a dream...
Would it help if I agree to park the bike around back?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM

612 posts, read 2,779,505 times
Wow!That's great so many people own their own homes!

Unfortunately, my husband always wants bigger and better and has moved us 'up' three times in nine years. We have only been in our house less than six months and he wants bigger already. I don't think we'll ever pay off a house, well, at least our main house, we have investment properties that should be paid off in the near future.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,997 times
We owned our home then 11 years ago moved into our brand new house.....but the amount owed on the mortgage is going down. As I get older I wish we had our "paid for" house back.

I love seeing the "amount applied to principle" in the payment go up while the interest amount goes down.

Someone told me that if you make one extra payment each year that it knocks 7 years off the mortgage.....so I keep doing that!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 AM

612 posts, read 2,779,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Bought it cash money down with a personal check. Only way to fly. Have it as a "Free House" because I made enough trading down my old house for the lower costs in Ohio. Make that I now have over two free houses because of the way I was able to restructure how money got spent. With the lower taxes, etc. Maybe buy up something like Atlanta if this continues.

In a pinch, I just plan to move in with Ms. Lisa. Hey, I don't even care if she puts my stuff on the lawn every so often, I usually only use a light traveling bag anyway. One thing about Good Men, they will adapt.
Oh, come on down to Atlanta! We have plenty of good deals for you!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,248 times
I'm 35 and about 3 years away from being done paying off this place But, I think I'm moving soon...and well, my mortgage will most likely be very high again LOL...but to be by the ocean...it's worth it

Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
We could, but we don't b/c it's not really a good investment strategy. We pay 6% interest on the borrowed money, and it's all deductible at tax time. Instead of taking cash and paying it off, we invest that money and bring in much more than 6% a year. So we still get the deductible tax benefit, and use the borrowed money to make more.

Most financial advisors will tell you it's not a great financial move to EVER pay off your mortgage for this reason, although some people feel more comfortable with it paid off, and if it eases your mind, then it's worth it.
Boy, if I had a home for every person that ever quoted that "most financial advisors" hokum I would be swimming in subdivisions by now.

Yes, we own our new home, in full.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 PM

739 posts, read 831,340 times
I am 47 and have mortgages on my primary residence and my second home. The mortgage interest is a good tax deduction and I can get a better return on my money than the 6.125% and the 6% I pay on those two properties, so why pay them off?

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,692,210 times
Yes it seems to be according to each's financial wants and needs. And those wants and needs are all different.

In our case, we also bought it outright.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
I am 47 and have mortgages on my primary residence and my second home. The mortgage interest is a good tax deduction and I can get a better return on my money than the 6.125% and the 6% I pay on those two properties, so why pay them off?
It all depends upon what's most important to you. In our case immediate security trumped long term maximization of our funds. We also realized that we're not as disciplined as we'd have to be in order to make carrying a mortgage work well for us - we wouldn't invest all of the money that would have gone to the mortgage - and even with the mortgage it didn't pay for us to itemize so the tax writeoff was moot.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
Wow! It's nice to read this thread. At 53, my wife and I have 3...more...years on our mortgage and then, hmmm, retirement. The word "retirement" never entered our language until pretty recently and now it sounds awfully sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House