Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking to paint our master bathroom, and would also like to remove and replace the mirror we have in there. We have a large mirror, probably 5 feet wide by 4 feet high, a single sheet of glass. It is held in place by clips at the top & bottom, although the clips at the top aren't even attached anymore and it's basically resting on the clips on the bottom. My guess is that there is some type of glue/epoxy like substance that is holding it to the wall.

So my question is, can I remove the mirror myself without damaging the wall? What type of substance was likely used to get the mirror stuck to the wall (the townhouse we live in is 10 years old)? Assuming I can get the mirror off without a problem, how difficult is it to remove the glue-like substance so I can paint that area? We'll likely replace the big mirror with 2 smaller mirrors.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
There may not be any adhesive holding the mirror up. Be sure you are not going to get a surprise if you remove the bottom clips.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
I can almost guarantee that you wont be able to remove that mirror without damaging the drywall. They most likely used some epoxy such as liquid nails which is going to rip off the outer sheet of the drywall. You will need to repair the wall.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
I've removed several of these mirrors before. None of them were held on with epoxy. Take off the top clips first and make sure you have towels or books supporting the bottom of the mirror when you remove the bottom clips, to make sure the mirror won't drop a few inches onto your countertop and crack.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
The reason I believe that the OP has epoxy is there is no way this mirror is being held by just the bottom clips-it would have fallen. Best way to tell is have someone hold the mirror while you remove some clips and see if there is any movement.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:54 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
All the mirrors I have taken down either have an adhesive, clips, or both.

If you have just clips you will not have any trouble with the wall.

If you have adhesive most likely you will have some drywall repair. You will have to get the adhesive off and possibly have to patch the drywall.

Be careful when removing the mirror. Wear gloves and get help. I've heard you can make an X across the mirror with duct tape for extra support while removing it. I have never done that. But it might be safer.

Take your top clips off and then gently pry the mirror away from the wall. You should be able to get it if the wall without too much trouble.

Be careful.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks all, I will let you know what happens. The top clips are not making contact with the mirror at all so something is keeping it stuck to the wall. Someone suggested getting a piano wire and running it behind the mirror to see if that separates it from the wall.

Wish me luck. I hope I'm not going to regret this!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I have installed hundreds of mirrors and removed many more hundreds. The proper adhesive to use is tar. Same as what you use on a roof. But that dont mean some fool didn't use liquid nails or 100% silicone instead. They squirt several blobs behind the mirror before pushing it on the wall. Those little clips have zero structural value. In other words they do nothing but hold the mirror in place while the tar hardens.

The proper way to remove a mirror is to have a fist full of shims. You hammer in the shims all around the perimeter every 8". Just tap each shim one at a time going around the perimeter behind the mirror. One tap each shim and do the next and next.

Usually this mirror is resting in and on a J channel which is resting on the vanity back splash. This will hold it for you but not allow you to shim the bottom. No problem.

SAFETY WARNING!

To be safe, use wide paper tape and criss cross it all over the mirror. If it were to break then it will not fall to the floor where you happen to be standing. A large piece falling will cut your feet off like a guillotine.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
We paid a local glass company ( I think it was $75) to come take our mirror about that size down. With our luck it would have fallen & killed me not hubby...
They got it off in one piece, it had blobs of adhesive that pretty much stuck to the wall and not left on back of the mirror. They then took that mirror to the shop and cut it into 2 mirrors for me. I picked those up and we installed ourselves.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 AM

FYI, we removed the mirror this weekend and I discovered what was holding it in place--nothing. Well, nothing other than the clips at the top & bottom, and the clips at the top were not even making contact with the mirror anymore. So this large mirror was simply resting on the clips at the bottom. I suppose it was angled slightly which kept it in place? Anyway, I was cleaning the mirror and it just started to come down. Fortunately it was slow and I was able to get my hands up and stop it. But then my wife and I removed it and were shocked to see absolutely nothing on the back. Seriously, this could have killed someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House