Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM

261 posts, read 1,271,923 times

Advertisements

In the subject line, I say "re"converting because the previous owners of my house already converted the garage somewhat to a bedroom. It was closed off with screen doors, paneling was added, as well as cheap, unpadded carpeting. The best part is that the heating system has been installed in this room, and there are several outlets and wiring for overhead lights.

My question is: Can anyone give me an estimate on how much money I need to budget to convert this room properly?

Since it is already considered living space (as a bedroom), I'm guessing building permits aren't needed. It's just under 400 square feet and on a slab. My plan is to add two extra walls to create a large bedroom and a hallway and smaller "side room" that will probably be used for gardening stuff. I'll want good carpeting, and probably double padding.

How much do I need to set aside financially for something like this? Any ballpark estimates would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
Since it is already considered living space (as a bedroom), I'm guessing building permits aren't needed.
I'm guessing you're wrong. A garage is a garage, and chances are very high that the conversion was, and still is, illegal.

The issue at stake here ... if anything happens, insurance isn't going to cover it.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
How about some pic's.
And maybe a floorplan of what you propose.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How about some pic's.
And maybe a floorplan of what you propose.
Yeah, I can do that -- as long as you can pardon the mess.

Here are two shots, as well as a quickly drawn plan of the walls I want to add. The additions are in orange.

Cost of reconverting garage to a bedroom?-img_1788.jpg

Cost of reconverting garage to a bedroom?-img_1789.jpg

Cost of reconverting garage to a bedroom?-garagesketch.jpg

Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
A few things-
The walls that are to be erected will have to have receipticles, You'll also need a wall switch within the room for the lights. The hallway has to be a minimum of 36" finished width. It will also need at least two receipticles and lights independent for the bdrm. Door placement could be an issue for furniture moving. And the window would need to meet egress code. Also consider a larger closet- no one ever has enough closet space.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
A few things-
The walls that are to be erected will have to have receipticles, You'll also need a wall switch within the room for the lights. The hallway has to be a minimum of 36" finished width. It will also need at least two receipticles and lights independent for the bdrm. Door placement could be an issue for furniture moving. And the window would need to meet egress code. Also consider a larger closet- no one ever has enough closet space.
Thanks. I do need to think a little harder about the independant wiring and stuff for the new bedroom and storage room. That's about the only aspect that i'm a little nervous to do on my own.

I appreciate the feedback!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
YOu could check with the local building dept. and see if: 1. converted garages are OK for bedrooms, 2. if a permit was taken out by the previous owners, 3. if they require a permit for doing the work needed to finish it (electrical).

The regulations vary greatly in each State, so what might be OK in one place is not OK in another.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default Interesting thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
YOu could check with the local building dept. and see if: 1. converted garages are OK for bedrooms, 2. if a permit was taken out by the previous owners, 3. if they require a permit for doing the work needed to finish it (electrical).

The regulations vary greatly in each State, so what might be OK in one place is not OK in another.
Why wouldn't a converted garage be o.k. for a bedroom???
Is it like a basement that has to have a window for escape or what???

I also have a garage that I plan to convert to a bedroom. When I bought my house the garage was also enclosed. It has a ceiling fan and electric.
It had carpeting that I've removed and it had barnwood on the walls which I'm taking down. I plan to drywall and build a bedroom with a walk in closet out there.

It appears that work that is there has been done for years since the exterior siding covers the outside where the door once was.
It was that way when I purchased it.

Someone in this thread made a comment about homeowner's insurance....

Do you mean that my insurance company doesn't see that as a room already should something happen?

I gave my insurance company a print out of the Listing Agreement that called it an extra room when I contracted with them.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTrail View Post
Thanks. I do need to think a little harder about the independant wiring and stuff for the new bedroom and storage room. That's about the only aspect that i'm a little nervous to do on my own.

I appreciate the feedback!
I think you just answered one of my main questions - that of whether or not you're doing the work yourself. It seems as though you ARE going to do your own work.

First of all, if you're going to do anything, do it right. That (in my opinion) means tearing down the paneling, insulating the stud walls, insulating the ceiling, running the wires for the outlets properly, installing a vapor barrier, drywalling, etc.

One of your main issues/problems is deciding what you're going to do with the floor. Cold and moisture are going to be your enemies.

Personally, I think you need to figure $3,000 for materials - and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks, Omaha! I would be happy if the project came in at $3,000. I was bracing myself for someone to say $4K-$5K, so lower projections are welcome

I'm all with you about the "if you're going to do anything, do it right." My wife and I have already poured several thousands of dollars into this property to turn it into a horse farm, so we're planning on being here for the long haul. I want this work to last.

And yes, the paneling will be torn down! I hate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House