Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM

7 posts, read 7,838 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help figure out what's going on. I was getting my house ready for sale and had a wood flooring contractor come out to repair what was assumed by another contractor and myself as an install issue where not enough expansion space was provided. To add more excitement to this move, he told me that he was unable to repair the floor and that the whole thing had to be ripped out (around 1400sf). His moisture detector showed extremely high levels of moisture in many spots throughout my house - he had a flat device like a paddle with a meter on it.

Background - My house was built in 2002 and I have engineered wood glued to a concrete slab, installed less than a year ago. I began having issues with the floor weeks after install. The previous contractor who had installed the floor came out to assess the problem (a month later - whole other story) and didn't detected moisture with his meter. The meter he carried was more of a thermometer looking device. He wasn't a very reliable or trustworthy person as it turns out, but he had said that it must be an install issue. His attempt at repairing was worse than what I could have done so I sought out the new contractor (who came with rave reviews).

I had a plumbing company come out today to try to find a leak but they couldn't find any issue with any of the plumbing. He checked the sinks, toilet, water heater, showers and tubs, and outside faucets. He checked the pressure at the meter and said he didn't see a slab leak either. So now I have no idea what is causing the moisture in the floor and am facing the complete rip out of this flooring and an install of alternate flooring. I really don't want to put anything new down, even carpet, until I know what's causing this. The plumber is going back to his boss to get his opinion but I thought I'd do some research myself. Has anyone had a similar issue, or does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Any help is appreciated...thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 03:44 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHome View Post
...moisture detector showed extremely high levels...
...couldn't find any issue with any of the plumbing.
...So now I have no idea what is causing the moisture in the floor ...

It's coming UP from underneath

Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's coming UP from underneath

The contractors keep telling me that the house is old enough that the concrete should have cured by now and shouldn't have that level of moisture. Do you think there's a crack, or is this just normal for concrete?

Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Do you think there's a crack, or is this just normal for concrete?
From underneath the concrete

LINK and LINK

Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,407 times
Quote:
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help figure out what's going on. I was getting my house ready for sale and had a wood flooring contractor come out to repair what was assumed by another contractor and myself as an install issue where not enough expansion space was provided. To add more excitement to this move, he told me that he was unable to repair the floor and that the whole thing had to be ripped out (around 1400sf). His moisture detector showed extremely high levels of moisture in many spots throughout my house - he had a flat device like a paddle with a meter on it.

Background - My house was built in 2002 and I have engineered wood glued to a concrete slab, installed less than a year ago. I began having issues with the floor weeks after install. The previous contractor who had installed the floor came out to assess the problem (a month later - whole other story) and didn't detected moisture with his meter. The meter he carried was more of a thermometer looking device. He wasn't a very reliable or trustworthy person as it turns out, but he had said that it must be an install issue. His attempt at repairing was worse than what I could have done so I sought out the new contractor (who came with rave reviews).

I had a plumbing company come out today to try to find a leak but they couldn't find any issue with any of the plumbing. He checked the sinks, toilet, water heater, showers and tubs, and outside faucets. He checked the pressure at the meter and said he didn't see a slab leak either. So now I have no idea what is causing the moisture in the floor and am facing the complete rip out of this flooring and an install of alternate flooring. I really don't want to put anything new down, even carpet, until I know what's causing this. The plumber is going back to his boss to get his opinion but I thought I'd do some research myself. Has anyone had a similar issue, or does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Could be a failed curtain drain. Did anyone check your foundation drainage?

Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Could be a failed curtain drain. Did anyone check your foundation drainage?
So far I've only had the plumber on site. I don't have french drains (same as curtain?). What kind of contractor should I reach out to for a foundation drainage check?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,407 times
Quote:
So far I've only had the plumber on site. I don't have french drains (same as curtain?). What kind of contractor should I reach out to for a foundation drainage check?
Someone who does excavation, or a building inspector who understands how to inspect a curtain drain. This was a problem in my home for almost 40 years, during renovation, a totally destroyed curtain drain was discovered, and the problem never returned. It is likely someone who does home inspections for home buyers would know how to examine a curtain drain. It wouldn't help to see if there are any other issues that may need cleaning up before going to market.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
House location?
Annual rainfall?
Average water table?
Has the grade around the house been altered- or adjacent lot(s)?

You maynot have a supply water leak, but it might be possible that there is a drain leak.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
I'm going to question the guys moisture meter. I've never seen one that looks like a paddle. I've carried one since the 80's and none looked like that. They all have had probe points that measures the electric field between the probes. You MUST program the unit for the type of materials you're testing. Wood has totally different properties than concrete and it calls for a different program or you'll get a wrong reading. Some are wood only, some are concrete only. Some are programmable. It should have looked like this or similar:

Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Someone who does excavation, or a building inspector who understands how to inspect a curtain drain. This was a problem in my home for almost 40 years, during renovation, a totally destroyed curtain drain was discovered, and the problem never returned. It is likely someone who does home inspections for home buyers would know how to examine a curtain drain. It wouldn't help to see if there are any other issues that may need cleaning up before going to market.
Thank you, that's a great idea in general pre-market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House