Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times

Advertisements

I figured I might as well come here as well. What do you think of this? It seems like the best deal I've come across so far.

The cost - $1100.00

1. Our entire roof is covered by branches from 5 trees. All over hanging limbs are to be removed.

2. Dying Maple two feet from our back door and dead Maple in yard removed.

3. 10 dying Cedars removed. 3 of them are near a side walk (concerns me)

4. Removal of huge brush/branch piles left by previous owners

5. Pruning of several Pines through out the property. We have huge Pine trees.

What do you think and what has your experience been with tree removal and trimming?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I figured I might as well come here as well. What do you think of this? It seems like the best deal I've come across so far.

The cost - $1100.00

1. Our entire roof is covered by branches from 5 trees. All over hanging limbs are to be removed.

2. Dying Maple two feet from our back door and dead Maple in yard removed.

3. 10 dying Cedars removed. 3 of them are near a side walk (concerns me)

4. Removal of huge brush/branch piles left by previous owners

5. Pruning of several Pines through out the property. We have huge Pine trees.

What do you think and what has your experience been with tree removal and trimming?

Thanks!
Make sure they have liability insurance.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Make sure they have liability insurance.
They do. I was sure to check on that. I don't know. A member just emailed me a co that has really long pole saws. Maybe I'll go that route given the expense.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
Default That's a lot of work...

$1100 for the amount of work that you listed is an amazing price. I definitely would have them do it if they're reputable.

Are they going to haul away the wood and grind down the stumps?

edited to add... My last house had a lot of old and dying trees. Before I could get the work done, one of the trees near the house was hit by lightening... a branch fell and hit the house. I worked with a variety of tree people getting my yard cleaned up.

From my experience, the price you've been given is MORE than fair.

Last edited by World Citizen; 03-13-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
Good price!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Around here removal of one tree near to a house is $2000. I would be suspect of that price with the scope of work you've outlined. Make sure they are insured and bonded. Also licensed.

I just looked at your scope of work again. I definitely am suspicious of that price. It's off by a factor of at least three or four.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
$1100 for the amount of work that you listed is an amazing price. I definitely would have them do it if they're reputable.
It is a lot of work.

Quote:
Are they going to haul away the wood and grind down the stumps?

I'm not sure what they're going to do with the stumps, but they will haul everything away. And, as stated, haul prior left over brush from previous trimming. That right there is a huge cost saving.

Quote:
edited to add... My last house had a lot of old and dying trees. Before I could get the work done, one of the trees near the house was hit by lightening... a branch fell and hit the house. I worked with a variety of tree people getting my yard cleaned up.

From my experience, the price you've been given is MORE than fair.
Uggghhhh. And my dh wants us to wait or do it ourselves.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Around here removal of one tree near to a house is $2000. I would be suspect of that price with the scope of work you've outlined. Make sure they are insured and bonded. Also licensed.
I'm not sure where you are, but that's crazy. My mom had a tree in her back yard removed for $450. She and her neighbor split the cost.

Quote:
I just looked at your scope of work again. I definitely am suspicious of that price. It's off by a factor of at least three or four.
Well, perhaps I should do more back checking on this company. The estimate came with a schematic (house with points all around to note) and it's all clearly spelled out.

How would you handle this? I figured the prices were based on our economy and the dates. The guy told me that once spring is in full swing the price would go up. I had him out here in Feb and had to push for a March job.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:04 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Southern MD. That price is pretty standard around here if overhead lines are involved. He's correct that the price will probably go up later in the year. What makes me wonder is the number of trees you're having removed, by my count 12. I'm assuming they're fairly large. If they are and the maples are near the house the contractor will have to send a climber up to rope off the limbs and bring them down one by one from the top with a helper or two on the ground. I've done that myself, both in the tree and on the ground, and it's a pain. I don't know how big the cedars are but I spent about 7 hours last weekend on one. The work isn't bringing it down (unless it's close to a building) but limbing and cutting it once it's down.
Again, with that low a price check his bonding, licensing and insurance with a fine tooth comb. In MD those types of companies have to be licensed at the state level so checking is easy.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It is a lot of work.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with the stumps, but they will haul everything away. And, as stated, haul prior left over brush from previous trimming. That right there is a huge cost saving.

Uggghhhh. And my dh wants us to wait or do it ourselves.

It's a huge job. You really need someone with a lift to do work like that near your house.

The price is really, really...low.

Last year, I priced having two maple trees trimmed at my new house. Just having the branches "dropped" and me doing all the clean up is going to cost $550. Wood is heavy. I'm going to have to haul it away in small loads. They wanted $1100 for just trimming my two trees if they hauled the wood away.

I check their references and get them to do the work.

You may want to ask them if they're grinding down the stumps... but, even if they're not, $1100 is an AMAZING price!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House