Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,994 times

Advertisements

I have never been to an Ikea. The name does remind me of that song

......... Talkin' 'bout
Hey now
Hey now
Iko iko an nay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 10:52 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
A word of caution on picking up used furniture. Make sure you check it thoroughly before you buy it.
We once bought a couch from some guy and got it home only to discover a family of mice had built a nest in it. I had laid down and kept hearing odd noises coming from the couch. I jumped up and made my husband take it outside and we turned that couch every which way and finally found the teeny little hole the mice had made. Ripped out the back and found the nest, ugh.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
i started with handme downs and garage sells because I knew I would not keep it.Most of it I lter gave away to others since it was not worth much.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
That is exactly what your first furniture SHOULD be! Either that or the family hand me downs.

It was a decade before we bought "real" furniture. We got ours at a local furniture bankruptcy sale - lots of cool stuff.

Don't be in a hurry! Life is too short to be spent hoarding stuff. Save money in your 401k and invest a little. Material things are overrated.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
LOL...your first furniture is a rite of passage and should be either handed down, bought at a yard sale or Oxfam, pressboard from a cheap store or a combination of various sources like that. It's part of the American experience

My first furniture was a futon, a pressboard dresser and bookshelf and a table and chairs I got from friends when they were moving out of town. The table was kind of cool actually. It was a pretty good size, perfectly square and very simple. It was unfinished wood and previous owners had each carved or markered something on it. If I recall I think I was the fourth owner. When I moved from San Francisco to Boston I in turn left it to another friend and of course left a message on it. It's probably still making the rounds out there in San Francisco, by now completely covered with messages. I kind of like that idea....wonder who has it now and the stories it could tell!

Last edited by CrowGirl; 04-23-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Hmmm, a whole lot of comfy feelings in this thread. Who needs a couch and a fluffy pillow, when I can settle down with a can of pepsi, a computer chair and my laptop while viewing CD?

My luck would be getting a used couch with an autograph on it from a serial killer, with the handle of a hunting knife as a supporting leg.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 PM

What I really enjoy, more than anything, in these CD threads is just seeing where everyone is from. We've got people in here from CA (peace), TN (mice), FL and TX (not everyone there is materialistic).

Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,184,631 times
Oh honey you need to go to yard sales & thrift shops! You can find bargains on solid wood and nice pieces of you are patient. Some in great shape, some need a little clean up/polishing. I was almost 50 before getting a brand spanking new piece of furniture. Even then caught a close out!

IMO stay away from IKEA- DD just got some bedroom stuff, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, this won't last. On the other hand, she got a nice floor close out on a dining hutch thing, and got a screaming deal on the table.chairs...and I was impressed it was fairly decent stuff.

Have fun and keep a folder of pics of stuff you like and be on the look out for it and save a little at a time for special pieces.
Enjoy what you have, there is time for other stuff as you can!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
i started with handme downs and garage sells because I knew I would not keep it.Most of it I lter gave away to others since it was not worth much.
I'm probably going to go this route because I am unsure of my living situation.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
stay away from IKEA- DD just got some bedroom stuff, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, this won't last
That is pretty much the purpose of IKEA- cheap enough, good enough, and no need for tears when it gets kicked to the curb or handed down. They are also good for apartment sized furniture which no one seems to carry lately with the exception of high end modern.

I actually still have a futon- which was my second/'upgrade' sofa. Its in the third bedroom and looks quite spiffy with a suede like orange cover. It is cherry as opposed to metal or oak. Needless to say I was very proud of said purchase at the time since it showed me to be the discriminating buyer of futons. hehehe- sadly true. The $100 bucks for a nice cover a couple of years ago was money well spent.

My advice is to buy nice or buy cheap because its the middle ground where you regret your decisions. I'd spend the $ on a good sofa becuase you can find plenty of decent tables/chairs/shelves at the walmarts and targets. And completely check out nice furniture stores when they are clearing out floor samples. A can of fabric/carpet cleaner and some elbow grease works wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House