Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:22 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,258 times

Advertisements

I have to drive down Dallas again this weekend for the FINDS tradeshow. I hate driving in this heat but but I am the buyer for consumer electronics, home accessories, gifts, high end furniture. When I lived out west, I used to go to LA, SF and Vegas for these kinds of trade shows, but now that I am located in Texas, it seems only Dallas is holding these kinds of trade shows, which still isn't as good or big as the ones out west, chicago or NY. Worse is that Houston doesn't even have them. At first, I thought Harwin is the the place for it, till I saw the kind of merchandise, which is pretty low end stuff.

Why can't Houston attract like Consumer Electronics trade shows or International Home & Housewares, International Gift, kind of trade shows. As the fourth largest city with a port, shouldn't we have those?

What happened to our trade show industry?
The big shows here seem to be drilling and quilting. I am a little tired of flying west, north or east to attend these trade shows. How about we bring them here.

Last edited by person; 06-18-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
It seems to me like they used to have quite a few electronics shows. Couldn't tell you why they aren't doing them now.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
I don't think it's a big issue that Houston doesn't have one. Dallas probably just has one because of Neimans or something like that. Still, while Houston may not be out there with high end consumer electronics, it's still high end and lacks in practically nothing else.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Dallas is much more centrally located. People from Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Arkansas, etc. can get there easier than to Houston.

Also probably has to do with the cost of renting convention space. Dallas may be more aggressive in marketing convention space.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:04 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Seems like they used to have a bunch of tradeshows at the GRB downtown and the AstroArena or Reliant or whatever it's called now. I never paid enough attention to notice what types. I haven't really noticed as many lately.

Dallas is more aggressive at marketing, period.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I don't think it's a big issue that Houston doesn't have one. Dallas probably just has one because of Neimans or something like that. Still, while Houston may not be out there with high end consumer electronics, it's still high end and lacks in practically nothing else.
Its not just electronics, its practically anything else consumer goods related, apparel, furniture, kitchen, bath, housewares, even bridal. We got some industry specific trade shows, so why not consumer ones? And I really would like to know where you find these type latest high end consumer goods for review and for resale, I went to harwin and its a joke.

We have much more diverse and bigger population, and port, Looking at all the factors, I think we are in a better position. I think houstoner is right. If we do some marketing, we can smoke dallas easily.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Dallas is much more centrally located. People from Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Arkansas, etc. can get there easier than to Houston.
But NY, LA, and SF aren't centrally located. So what about them?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Its not just electronics, its practically anything else consumer goods related, apparel, furniture, kitchen, bath, housewares, even bridal. We got some industry specific trade shows, so why not consumer ones? And I really would like to know where you find these type latest high end consumer goods for review and for resale, I went to harwin and its a joke.
Oh, I was just saying that in general, we're just as high end as DFW.

Quote:
We have much more diverse and bigger population, and port, Looking at all the factors, I think we are in a better position. I think houstoner is right. If we do some marketing, we can smoke dallas easily.
You got it.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Let me just say that if this turns into another Dallas v. Houston thread, it will be deleted or closed. Please respect that this is a relocation forum and is not the place for the endless back and forth bantering about which place is best. Please provide useful comments or do not comment at all.

Thank you.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times
I know I probably was the ONLY person in Houston in the (what year was it?) 80's or 90's who voted against building the huge convention center; because I have lived in other major cities (Chicago, DC) where they get lots of traffic and I knew that Houston--God Bless them for hoping--did NOT have enough to offer in the way of interest to attract the good conventions. Was I right? Yes, and I was told that directly from the sales staff at the convention center about 5 years after it was built. They were frustrated, and rightly so.
However, during this debate and vote, Texans would get furious at me for even suggesting that conventions and tourists would not jump at the chance to visit Houston. I have no idea why they thought this. Maybe it is because Houston and Texas is so darn big they never get out of the State?
Houston, because of the heat, humidity and...flame away, folks, not so hot reputation of many Texans who seem to be more arrogant than New Yorkers about how Texas is the be all and end all of the world, unfortunately, turns off folks from other States...who just might think their little corner of the world is okay, too.
And, believe it or not, there still are alot of people out there from other States who really expect to see tumbleweed rolling down the streets in Houston, everyone talks with a hicky drawl and wears cowboy boots all the time with cow **** on them....NOT! So, this turns off some convention planners from picking Houston.
Regardless, Houston is not known as a tourist town; therefore, it does not attract the conventions of any size.
The apparel marts are now in Dallas, L.A. and NYC. Chicago lost those, so I guess they are crying the blues, too. Chicago's Mart is now for furniture and has, more or less, shucked apparel. My dad owned clothing stores, which is why I know all this. They did not need two apparel marts in the middle of the country, so they chose Dallas over Chicago. Why? Maybe more room to build out as Chicago is overbuilt as it is, maybe warmer climate for many traveling, maybe...well, who knows...but the decision was in Dallas' favor, and it is a great place.
Dallas has major airports in the center of the country, so travel is easier. This is a HUGE consideration for convention planners.
Yes, it might be a drag to drive to Dallas in the heat. Understand you, but what can you do? We can't move Houston from the coast to more north can we?
This is so reasonable an explanation as I can give on why you have to drive in all that heat to Dallas....but Dallas, like Houston, has some great things to see, do, eat, visit and so forth. You will have to just take it like that spoonful of medicine, and, hopefully, enjoy the results it gives you. Have you ever thought of flying and taking the burden of driving a hot car up there? It isn't too expensive, and sounds like it would relieve alot of the stress you are feeling. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 06-21-2007 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: