Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM

23,978 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

If this could happen to any company then why was BP fined for safety violations about 350 times to Exxon's 1 and Shell's 4 or 5? Please believe me when I say that all employees should not be held accountable for the bad decisions of a few. Been there, done that.
The fact there we are all dependent on an industry does not negate their willful ignorance or neglect. People all over the industry know what happened and why. Since when does adding to the area payroll make it O.K. to kill people?
What's the penalty for arrogance? Stupidity?
The fact that we all use oil does not make BP as pure as the blameless. In fact, it is that kind of attitude that causes this kind of stuff to happen. Everybody does it.
The day we start to tolerate poor workmanship from anybody is the day we decide that is what we are going to get and are willing to live with.
What ever happened to being a good stewards of the earth? Not fouling your nest? What you did to the lest, you did to ME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The fact there we are all dependent on an industry does not negate their willful ignorance or neglect. People all over the industry know what happened and why. Since when does adding to the area payroll make it O.K. to kill people?
The fact that we all use oil does not make BP as pure as the blameless. In fact, it is that kind of attitude that causes this kind of stuff to happen. Everybody does it.
The day we start to tolerate poor workmanship from anybody is the day we decide that is what we are going to get and are willing to live with.
What ever happened to being a good stewards of the earth? Not fouling your nest? What you did to the lest, you did to ME?
Bingo. Totally agree.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Outsourced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
well? how many?
BP Houston IT group has one of the worst reputation out there
I recall BP outsourced their IT department many years ago, maybe that is why?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If this could happen to any company then why was BP fined for safety violations about 350 times to Exxon's 1 and Shell's 4 or 5? Please believe me when I say that all employees should not be held accountable for the bad decisions of a few. Been there, done that.
I also agree with your thoughts. Except for the bold line. America has already allowed and tolerated poor workmanship and junk to be the acceptable norm. Just look at the Walmart parking lots. Look inside Walmart stores where the labels read a who's who in China. Even in my own store I see people who do not care about brand, level of quality, warranty.....all they care about is how inexpensive is it. And to that end, the Chinese products win the price comparison hands down. But you get cheap junk for that cheap price.

I do agree with everything else you said very much so.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I recall BP outsourced their IT department many years ago, maybe that is why?
according to the people I've met in the industry, they've called for an all-hands on deck, large $$ type of projects, pulling every available talent, even the ones currently employed by other companies by giving them very nice offers... then cancelling the project in a few months and dumping the suckers on the street.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Those stating that this could have happened to anyone are being disingenuous. BP has a long, ugly history of cutting corners, spilling oil and getting people killed. Beyond the tragedy of the spill itself is the compounded damage of punishing all the companies drilling in the Gulf. This is not an oil company issue, this is a BP issue. In my opinion BP should be banned from Gulf drilling for all time and everyone else should be allowed to go back about their business.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 PM

11 posts, read 19,248 times
The big question is, are they laying people off at BP at the Houston office?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM

23,978 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Not according to my across the street neighbor. I told her to take her retirement early and in cash

Old 06-21-2010, 03:41 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Too early...

Too early, but my bet is they will probably streamline once they start burning through their cash, more than likely resulting in some layoffs. This is going to be expensive.

On an interview over the weekend, a BP spokesperson was asked "what if someone in Las Vegas filed a claim becasue the seafood was more expensive as a result of the spill", and the BP spokesperson said they would pay, and then verify later. I'm pharaphrasing, but as you can see, almost anyone can file a claim... it will drain their cash reserves.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Too early, but my bet is they will probably streamline once they start burning through their cash, more than likely resulting in some layoffs. This is going to be expensive.

On an interview over the weekend, a BP spokesperson was asked "what if someone in Las Vegas filed a claim becasue the seafood was more expensive as a result of the spill", and the BP spokesperson said they would pay, and then verify later. I'm pharaphrasing, but as you can see, almost anyone can file a claim... it will drain their cash reserves.

well atleast the freebies are in NOLA, so they dont have to move over here again like during "Bush's Katrina"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston