Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times

Advertisements

Whataburger for sure - where you can still get a deep fried apple pie, not some half-baked wannabe abomination.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
good question. i am a university of houston grad. i have lived here 30 years.
i love both places.
however the city i inhabit its 3% AA a very very small part of that is gangbang. houston is 25% AA a large percent is gangbang.
and that is having an effect on quality of life for houston, you can thank bill white and new orleans for that. montrose and galleria were fun places to hang out, not anymore.
I am also assuming that whites, asians, and hispanics are also allowed to be in gangs. That would make Houston's population a MINIMUM of 50% "gangbang". I have lived her for over 35 years and had no idea it was like that. I used to feel so safe - and now I don't. So glad you added your 2 cents so I know the real truth.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Whataburger for sure - where you can still get a deep fried apple pie, not some half-baked wannabe abomination.
Whataburger onion rings are pretty damn tasty too..

Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Whataburger onion rings are pretty damn tasty too..
Sonic onion rings are the best - I can taste vanilla in the batter, which is surprisingly good.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
We should have fast food tastings where we all act like highfalutin wine connoisseurs, detailing the subtle notes we taste in our cheeseburgers and fries. It's like being half-sophisticated.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:41 PM

23 posts, read 102,377 times
Dear Seamagician,
I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, lived on the Central Coast of California for 9 years, and Raleigh Triangle area now for 2 years. My husband is considering a job opportunity in Houston, so I am doing my due duty as researcher. As far as the entitlement you sensed in the Californians, I too noticed an overall attitude that bordered on superiority! Naturally, we made many good friends (lots of them native Californians), but the vast majority did not seem to realize there were any states East of Colorado! When I told people I was from Ohio, they said, "Idaho?" "Ojai?" They felt California is the only place in the world that matters. Granted, many people are overly proud of there home state or country, and I personally feel this tends to lead to prejudice, bigotry and hatred. We are all part of the human race and thus our choice of where to live should not be hindered by others who choose not to embrace differences. As to your thoughts on climate, I must admit that the heat and humidity of NC is much worse than I thought it would be. Having lived on the CA coast with cool, foggy summers, I love all the sunshine here, but it comes at a price! The people here in Raleigh are friendly and still have that southern hospitality, although most I have met are really not native to the area. Once you get outside the city, though, parts can feel somewhat back-woods (think the movie "deliverance") I have been to Dallas and Houston, and like the overall vibrancy of the cities. We are planning a visit in August as well to help us with our decision. I wish you all the best in your future plans. Do not get discouraged by those negative people, it is you that will be living your life!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
Quote:
Granted, many people are overly proud of there home state or country, and I personally feel this tends to lead to prejudice, bigotry and hatred
Your going to get plenty of that here in Texas - Especially from native Texans outside that live outside the loop in Houston and some of the wealthier burbs in Dallas -

Quote:
I have been to Dallas and Houston, and like the overall vibrancy of the cities
RE: Vibrancy in Houston? Maybe A few select places, Galleria, West side..mayeb....Dallas - a few more than Houston.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
We should have fast food tastings where we all act like highfalutin wine connoisseurs, detailing the subtle notes we taste in our cheeseburgers and fries. It's like being half-sophisticated.
I wanted to rep this but I have to spread it around a bit more...

That's awesome and to quote the great Butthead.. " I'm there dude. "

Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamagician View Post
Can someone please explain to me exactly why it is that Californians all seem to tell me that I will hate Texans in general and Houston in particular. People here pull up their noses at Texas and I don't get why. They're actively involved in telling me that I will be truly miserable there.

As far as I can see, apart from the humidity (which some mention), it seems to me to be a pretty international city with lots to offer.

I'm also constantly told that if I do have to go to Texas, then I must choose either Austin or San Antonio, because they're 'lovely' or 'acceptable'.

I've looked at both. They don't offer what Houston does.
I think you've got your answer -- the naysayers haven't done their research. You have. So kudos to you.

Austin (and to a much lesser extent, San Antonio) are media-loved darlings. The media seems to forget Austin is still in Texas. Remember perception is not all reality.
By the way, both are only about 10% less humid than Houston on average.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,185 times
I have no idea...but it's true...I have family that moved from California to Houston,TX and they hate it so much that they are planning to move out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston