Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:23 AM

20 posts, read 115,350 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Houston. I have grown up in the Bay Area California. Wanted to know if any Californians have had a hard time adjusting, or it was super easy?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
It was hard the first time I lived in Texas and I ended up moving to the Pacific Northwest. A decade later and a lot wiser, I moved back. It is an easy adjustment this time because my values and priorities changed. The first time, all I cared about was the scenery (or lack of) and it was hard on my ego to live in a state that was in the middle of the country because I thought the West or East Coasts were the only cool places to be. The second time, I just wanted the highest possible quality of life for my family (which now includes children) and Texas is really good for that.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,913 times
I may not be an expert on the question since I'm a native Texan, but I'm speaking on behalf of the few Californians I know that moved here. From what I hear on the boards, the biggest complaint people have is it's nothing like CA. Well, duh! I've seen too many people come here on the boards and expect TX to be something other than they imagined, and you can't do that. Or complain that they don't have ocean or mountain views, etc. You literally have to wipe the slate clean b/c they are night and day. You must understand everything from the weather to the people and the scenery is nothing like CA...well for the most part.

However, many here are very happy with the quality of life they are now able to afford. They are able to have much larger homes for their families, many say the schools are better, and the best part is they are able to spend more time with their families since they don't have to work just to pay the bills.

Like Topaz said, look at your priorities and decide from there.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:07 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanea View Post
Thinking of relocating to Houston. I have grown up in the Bay Area California. Wanted to know if any Californians have had a hard time adjusting, or it was super easy?
I moved my wife and children out here in December last year from Orange County
We have not had a hard time adjusting at all, the opposite really.
One of my sons was not thrilled with it at first, but he's grown to like it. My younger daughters love it very much and adapted easily.

We love the food here, the friends and people we've met, our home and our neighborhood (Kingwood). Other than when I came here for 2 days in 1994, none of us had been here. Loaded our things in some containers, packed up the two cars and headed out on I-10. We did rent the house before coming.

What do I miss from California? I do miss the ocean, and oddly I do miss mountains. It's very flat here. But truthfully I don't miss them so much that I pine over them every day. I miss family and I occasionally miss my favorite sushi bar back in CA.

But in the late afternoon when I sit on my back patio with a icy cold Shiner, BBQing or what not, I watch the squirrels, the robins, blue jays and mockingbirds, watch my little ones play in that huge, tree-filled shady yard and listen to the quiet; I don't miss California in any way, shape or form.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
We are getting these questions in all the Texas city forums -- it's like a reversal of the Dust Bowl!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 PM

200 posts, read 899,871 times
I am from the OC also and just closed on my house and planning a trip to buy a home .with cash In CA a mortgage was necessary and the traffic was awful. I will miss the quick weekend getaways to Napa, San Fran, Palm Springs, San Diego and Vegas. And of course the 1/2 mile walk from my house to the ocean. But I bet Houston has good food, an ocean within 1 hour, much less traffic, friendlier people and homes as big as Texas with small price tags. If I get too "hungry for CA" It is a short plane ride back. I can't wait to come back after about 6 months to see if there is anything I really do miss

Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,136 times
I think the hardest things you will need to adjust to are the lack of beautiful coast lines/beaches, mountains, family/friends, but most is the humidity we have here... Do not under estimate it as it is brutal from June till the end of Sept, and if you live near heavily wooded areas so are the mosquitoes. The positives are many more than the negatives though so we do not regret it...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
I moved my wife and children out here in December last year from Orange County
We have not had a hard time adjusting at all, the opposite really....

But in the late afternoon when I sit on my back patio with a icy cold Shiner, BBQing or what not, I watch the squirrels, the robins, blue jays and mockingbirds, watch my little ones play in that huge, tree-filled shady yard and listen to the quiet; I don't miss California in any way, shape or form.
Just wandered over here from the Dallas forum. My wife and I have been in Texas for about 9 months now from L.A. We love it here. I also went to college in the SF Bay Area btw. Nothing like an ice cold Shiner Bock on a hot day. That is one fine bottle of beer and I will put it up against any microbrewery on the west coast!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanea View Post
As far as the tough stuff. The hardest part for us is we miss our friends, but that you will find if you move anywhere. The summertime heat is harsh. I don't find Dallas quite as humid as Houston, but it's still really hot. The terrain is not as dynamic as California. I do miss the mountains and stuff but that's not as important to me now as it was when I was single and in my 20's. Here's a link to post I put up on the DFW board a while back that might be helpful :

//www.city-data.com/forum/2654267-post1.html

I don't think readjusting to any new city is super easy. But at the end of the day the success of any move is going to hinge more on your attitude than anything else. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 PM

33 posts, read 154,459 times
We moved to Texas from San Leandro (the bay area) going on three years in july. We will NEVER move back to California. We love it here, the humidity, yes it is different, BUT you get used to it, its not that bad. Excellent Schools, nice parks, and safe neighboorhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston