Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:39 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

This thread is a little more specific.

It's for those central Californians living in the flat inland areas of Calif. who have moved to (fairly coastal) metro Houston TX. Yes, the inland Calif summer is blazing hot and dusty but relatively dry. However, going some place nice, or even remotely interesting, means driving because these metro areas don't have much going on. The mountains are nearby but the ocean is a "chore" to get to.

Ok, with that being said, Houston and surroundings offer more and there is access to the coast but there are no mountains and the summer is hotter. Plus, you get a nicer residential lifestyle.

So, with such a balanced trade-off (on paper), which have you preferred - Houston TX metro or an inland Calif metro?

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-19-2008 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 06:10 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
I lived in Sacramento (Carmichael area). Currently I live in Houston metro (Kingwood Kingwood - Home) I much prefer Kingwood and Houston to Sacramento. Houston has a lot more robust economy, better art and culture) Kingwood is great. The summers in Sacramento and Houston are both hot. Houston has much better winters. Houston's spring and fall are also nice. Sacramento is nice because it is closer to mountains and wine country (though there are a few wineries fairly close to Houston. I like old town Sacramento and the gold country. Houston has a much bigger and better skyline and shopping.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,273 times
I don't think you will find many that "prefer" to live anywhere in the San Joaquin Valley, though if they did they would probably think that just about anywhere is paradise...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
I don't think you will find many that "prefer" to live anywhere in the San Joaquin Valley, though if they did they would probably think that just about anywhere is paradise...
Are you including Metro Sacramento in the post...I've never known whether that was part of the San Joaquin Valley, though I don't think it is. Commenting on Sac vs. Hou would be interesting for me as well, as did the poster that preceded you.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 PM

Sacramento is nice. It has lots going for it (lots of trees, historic homes, Gold County, etc)

Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Interesting question. I have an interview in Houston and can't decide if it is worth it to me, since I have never considered Houston. I already know that I really like Sacramento a lot (despite some above posters basically saying no one would like there?) Houston I am worried would be too humid for me, and the beaches dont seem to compare to california or florida...which is actually pretty important to me.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM

The beaches in California are way nicer. As you know, Sacramento has no beaches. Houston is much more cosmopolitan than Sacramento. The economy here is a lot more robust. Art and culture is a lot better in Houston. People are a lot friendlier in Houston. The housing market is more affortable and stable in Houston.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Interesting question. I have an interview in Houston and can't decide if it is worth it to me, since I have never considered Houston.
My family never in a million years thought we would live in the Houston metro area but my husband landed a great job here and we accepted it before I had even had the opportunity to visit Houston.

Now that we are here, we are so much happier than anyone expected us to be. My Seattle friends think we are fairly crazy to have moved here, and our Austin friends keep trying to convince us to move there instead (which will probably never happen because my husband's career requires a large city from which he can travel frequently via air).

My advice is to do the interview and just take it from there, although I've noticed at least one poster visited Houston for a house hunting trip recently and disliked it intensely and decided not to move here. I guess it really depends on what you are seeking.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My family never in a million years thought we would live in the Houston metro area but my husband landed a great job here and we accepted it before I had even had the opportunity to visit Houston.

Now that we are here, we are so much happier than anyone expected us to be. My Seattle friends think we are fairly crazy to have moved here, and our Austin friends keep trying to convince us to move there instead (which will probably never happen because my husband's career requires a large city from which he can travel frequently via air).

My advice is to do the interview and just take it from there, although I've noticed at least one poster visited Houston for a house hunting trip recently and disliked it intensely and decided not to move here. I guess it really depends on what you are seeking.
thanks. I did decide to go ahead with the interview. I talked to a friend earlier who is from New York but lived in Austin. She really likes Texas a lot in general and convinced me to at least give it a try! I am very curious. I have been checking out the pictures of Houston and I just can't get a good read on it! It seems like.....a lot of cities within the city? decentralized?

Are there any nice beaches other than Galveston?

True there are no beaches in Sacramento....but the ones in California are worth the drive!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:07 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
thanks. I did decide to go ahead with the interview. I talked to a friend earlier who is from New York but lived in Austin. She really likes Texas a lot in general and convinced me to at least give it a try! I am very curious. I have been checking out the pictures of Houston and I just can't get a good read on it! It seems like.....a lot of cities within the city? decentralized?

Are there any nice beaches other than Galveston?

True there are no beaches in Sacramento....but the ones in California are worth the drive!
Austin is very different than Houston (just ask my Austin friends) but the job market is much, much better in Houston. Yes, Houston is a lot of different decentralized areas. You can find cool upscale urban areas or nice suburbs.

You definitely can't get a feel for Houston by driving the freeways. The view from the freeways is NOT good...just a lot of traffic and ugly billboards and lack of zoning.

My native Texas friends tell me that South Padre is the best Texas beach and worth the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston