Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 PM

167 posts, read 557,833 times

Advertisements

I live in Los Angeles now. My best friend and hubby are relocating to Houston and she is encouraging me to do the same (we're like sisters). I told her I'd consider it. Where do active 45 y/o single females live in Houston? I like to work out (spin class and yoga), go to movies, ride my bike, etc. I like LA but might be open to relocating since I might actually be able to afford a home (right now I'm renting). Anyway, before I get her hopes up high I'd like to explore some areas of the city that might be suitable for me. She and her hubby are moving to the burbs but that would not be my first choice. Ideally, I could see myself in a town home or small house in a pedestrian friendly area. For a point of reference I now live in West Los Angeles and my spend most of my free time in Santa Monica, Venice and West LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
TH's in the Loop - all the way out to Highway 6, staying above Westheimer. that gives you a big price range and lots of choices. You didn't say where in the burbs they are moving, so I don't know how close they would be to that area. It would be easier to advise if we knew your monthly house budget.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Houston's not for you.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM

433 posts, read 701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
I live in Los Angeles now. My best friend and hubby are relocating to Houston and she is encouraging me to do the same (we're like sisters). I told her I'd consider it. Where do active 45 y/o single females live in Houston? I like to work out (spin class and yoga), go to movies, ride my bike, etc. I like LA but might be open to relocating since I might actually be able to afford a home (right now I'm renting). Anyway, before I get her hopes up high I'd like to explore some areas of the city that might be suitable for me. She and her hubby are moving to the burbs but that would not be my first choice. Ideally, I could see myself in a town home or small house in a pedestrian friendly area. For a point of reference I now live in West Los Angeles and my spend most of my free time in Santa Monica, Venice and West LA.
Most live near the Galleria/Uptown area flush after divorcing their Memorial area husband. Usually a two bedroom apt/townhome so the kids can visit on their college break.

There aren't many pedestrian friendly areas--people congregate at Memorial Park. Even from the burbs. Active people can get bored here easily.

Honestly, stay in LA if you can and just visit your friends. Nothing will compare to the West side. Besides, Houstonians don't like us (Yankees, Northerners, etc.) as you can tell from the comment above. Yes, they still do reference the past for jokes and think it's funny.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
you need more compelling reasons to do the Houston tour of duty

Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Most live near the Galleria/Uptown area flush after divorcing their Memorial area husband. Usually a two bedroom apt/townhome so the kids can visit on their college break.

There aren't many pedestrian friendly areas--people congregate at Memorial Park. Even from the burbs. Active people can get bored here easily.

Honestly, stay in LA if you can and just visit your friends. Nothing will compare to the West side. Besides, Houstonians don't like us (Yankees, Northerners, etc.) as you can tell from the comment above. Yes, they still do reference the past for jokes and think it's funny.
My comment had NOTHING to do with not liking people from other areas. Like most of Houstonians, I too am a transplant. I was just giving an honest piece of advice -- Houston is not pedestrian friendly, the weather prohibits most people from doing anything outside for 4 months of the year (I just deal with it, but realize I am in the minority), and, frankly, the city and its activities are much more family friendly than single-middle-aged-woman friendly.

For someone who values those things very highly, Houston is simply not the best place to live. In fact, I'd wager that out of the top 10 largest cities in the country Houston would be one of the worst places to live for someone who describes themselves as the OP did.

It's a great city and if you do move here, and don't complain about it constantly like many others, you'll find some of the friendliest people you've ever met. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing something if you've set your heart on it, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, I'm just trying to give you an honest look on a city I don't feel is designed for someone with your hobbies.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
My comment had NOTHING to do with not liking people from other areas. Like most of Houstonians, I too am a transplant. I was just giving an honest piece of advice -- Houston is not pedestrian friendly, the weather prohibits most people from doing anything outside for 4 months of the year (I just deal with it, but realize I am in the minority), and, frankly, the city and its activities are much more family friendly than single-middle-aged-woman friendly.

For someone who values those things very highly, Houston is simply not the best place to live. In fact, I'd wager that out of the top 10 largest cities in the country Houston would be one of the worst places to live for someone who describes themselves as the OP did.

It's a great city and if you do move here, and don't complain about it constantly like many others, you'll find some of the friendliest people you've ever met. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing something if you've set your heart on it, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, I'm just trying to give you an honest look on a city I don't feel is designed for someone with your hobbies.
I'm from L.A. (Pico/Robertson area on the Westside) and I would agree with TXCrude. I love Houston, but I think this area is better for a married-with-children type like myself than an active, single 40-something. Definitely come on out and check things out, but I wouldn't necessarily have your heart set on this area yet. I love that I can afford home ownership here, but that's not enough to move somewhere.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I'm from L.A. (Pico/Robertson area on the Westside) and I would agree with TXCrude. I love Houston, but I think this area is better for a married-with-children type like myself than an active, single 40-something. Definitely come on out and check things out, but I wouldn't necessarily have your heart set on this area yet. I love that I can afford home ownership here, but that's not enough to move somewhere.

There's one, solid, irrefutable reason for this person to move to Houston. The cost of living is WAY lower than California. No state income tax, housing is a fraction of what it is in Cali, food is cheaper, fuel is cheaper, and we have Spec's.

Other than that, Houston has nothing over where you now live.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM

167 posts, read 557,833 times
Thanks ALL for taking the time to post your honest responses. Based on your responses (and my gut instincts) I don't think Houston is going to be a good fit either given my age and marital status mostly. My main reason for posting was to try and identify some areas so when I visit in the coming months I can explore some communities first hand. Also, while home ownership can't be the primary reason to relocate it is VERY high on the list. Frankly if home ownership were realistic for me in LA I would never consider living anyplace else.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
Thanks ALL for taking the time to post your honest responses. Based on your responses (and my gut instincts) I don't think Houston is going to be a good fit either given my age and marital status mostly. My main reason for posting was to try and identify some areas so when I visit in the coming months I can explore some communities first hand. Also, while home ownership can't be the primary reason to relocate it is VERY high on the list. Frankly if home ownership were realistic for me in LA I would never consider living anyplace else.
You can get a 3000 sq/ft home in Houston for the price you'd pay for a one-car garage in LA.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: