Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times

Advertisements

^^I would agree having lived in both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
If you live in the burbs in Chicago, wifey will have to learn to drive as she would in Houston. So I wouldn't let that be a determining factor. Chicago is a faster pace city than Houston. Weather wise you're dealing with many months of heat vs many months of cold. Pick your poison. So it'll come down to your personal preference really. If at all possible, i'd visit both before making a decision. You're going to get bias opinions, so visiting will be the best way to figure out what's best for you and your family.
I agree with this for sure. But, no, she would not have to drive in Naperville or Evanston (not an option for them). There is good bus and train transportation in both places and the cities are walkable too which is not the case in most burbs here. I can't walk to the grocery store here. I could there.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Nana, Skokie and Evanston are about the most liberal areas of the entire metropolitan area. Chicago is as diverse as Houston, but in my opinion the segregation that still exists makes it feel much less diverse.
I agree

[quote=crbcrbrgv;15426229
There is still a lot of old fashioned racism left over in Chicago and neighborhoods such as Mt. Greenwood and Bridgeport, which are known for blockbusting and redlining even today.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this too, but they would be in Naperville or another burb, not in the city proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Chicago is a better city for singles without question. Houston has a ways to go to catch up. As for families, I believe Houston to be better. The schools are just as good in the Houston area, not to mention much more diverse racially and by creed. In Chicago, you have to apply to charters and magnets to get into schools that are diverse. Also, Chicago is much more expensive. Some may argue Chicago offers a lot more than Houston. As somebody who was raised 75% in Chicago proper and the suburbs, I disagree.
I disagree with some of this. Chicago is definitely more expensive. However, the schools are not as good here as the schools in Evanston, Skokie and Naperville. This has mainly to do with the insane Texas Education Board which is doing things like cutting out Jefferson (they don't like the separation of church and state), adding in a study of the McCarthy Era with apologetics for his actions, trying to put Intelligent Design into the science classrooms (I have no objection to its being taught in a class about religion and philosophy), etc.,etc.,etc. I will have to do a lot of supplementing of the curriculum here for my grandchildren because there is a lot they are not getting in school.

Dorothy

Old 08-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets616 View Post
^Another victim to indoctrination.
I have a masters degree in mathematics and can read the research journals. You are the one who has been indoctrinated, not me.

Try actually reading real science.

Dorothy

Old 08-11-2010, 05:48 PM

60 posts, read 219,294 times
Yes, I would say Chicago is the better fit for you and your family! Your wife would really feel stranded since she doesn't drive, and the public transportation in Houston is not the most reliable. Chicago is a vibrant city with a lot of culture and beautiful museums. Plenty of first rate restuarants, too. I am familiar with both cities,and for your needs, I would go to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston