Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM

34 posts, read 57,135 times

Advertisements

Is the Flagship Macy's worth visiting? I have seen pics of the store and it looks huge!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 AM

24,106 posts, read 15,210,209 times
No. Having lived in Lake Highlands for years, I can testify in court that any place you shop in Houston will be a time waster.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
No. Having lived in Lake Highlands for years, I can testify in court that any place you shop in Houston will be a time waster.
I thought the Flagship Macy's would be a great place to shop, I guess I was wrong.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:28 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,064,075 times
The Macy's downtown is in an old historic bldg. The main difference is that they have the best selection of "business" attire compared to the stores in the suburbs just due to being located in the central business district. When I want something for work - I head there. They usually have a decent selection of holiday attire as well. Then other departments may not be as big as the suburban stores - just depends on the target market of the location.

If you want to shop there, don't be discouraged by someone who finds all of Houston shopping a time-waster. If you are coming from out of town to visit Downtown Houston Macys - I'd say that is probably a wasted trip. However if you are in Houston and want to visit - then check it out.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,922,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltexas View Post
Is the Flagship Macy's worth visiting? I have seen pics of the store and it looks huge!!!

It used to be great; now it's smaller and mainly "business".

Your handle suggests Dallas; it's like the old original Neiman-Marcus downtown; used to be fabulous, now a boutique.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:49 PM

The Flagship Macy's store is 788,000 sq ft. I don't think they are using all that space.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:54 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,008,945 times
Have you been to a Macy's? They're very ordinary. They do have good sales at times, especially in the current economy and I do buy things there occasionally (usually on sale). However, a "flagship" Macy's store is unlikely to be any better than a "flagship" Dillards store. Neiman-Marcus, Nordstrom's, or Saks Fifth Avenue they are not.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,108,095 times
Welcome back ladarron.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,491,410 times
The downtown Macy's is a real throwback to the old 6-7 floor stacked department stores that were real common in the 60' when I was a kid and just before the mall's started being built. It was a real thrill when Mom packed us in the station wagon for a trip "downtown" from the suburbs for some shopping. The big old stores in my hometown, Strauss's and Higbee's in Youngstown crumbled when the steel mills crumbled so Macy's is sort of like a real strong reminiscence of my childhood when I go there.

I agree with the poster above that it's not fabulous like Macy's in NY or Harrod's in London that is a "destination holliday" for out-of-towners but it's a great store for men's and women's businessware and I've got a lot of my clothes there during lunch hour. They have very good specials after the holidays and you can get real name brand for Target/Walmart prices if you are patient.

It's also a lot of fun to go down into the tunnel system from the basement (approx 6 miles of small stores and restaurants underground and air-conditioned in tunnels connecting most of the downtown skyscrapers). Now the tunnels + Macy's might be worth a trip from out of town. Maybe .(try to do a tour of Nasa or beach trip to the island also).

Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,337,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltexas View Post
It saddens me that you'd have to seek advice on such a trivial topic as to whether you should visit a Macy's store or not.

"Guys, should I eat Fruit Loops this morning, or eat some Captain Crunch?"

Last edited by Texascrude; 09-05-2010 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston