Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,452,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Yeah...I just saw on my friend's wall that it has indeed been cancelled.

The time slot was very competitive (everyone I know was either watching MNF or DWTS instead) and with only 4 million viewers, it wasn't enough for the execs at Fox to keep it on air. I think my friend's husband has several episodes already written & I *think* he's going to release the content to friends. I believe they just finished taping episode 6.

Who knows? Maybe another network will pick it up.
In this day and age where almost everyone has a DVR and can record and watch a show at anytime (which they do factor into TV ratings), the excuse of a TV show being in a bad time slot holds less and less water.
If a show is canceled (especially after only one or two episodes) it is probably more because not enough people cared about the show (for whatever reason) to even record it, much less watch it in its regular time slot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
In this day and age where almost everyone has a DVR and can record and watch a show at anytime (which they do factor into TV ratings), the excuse of a TV show being in a bad time slot holds less and less water.
If a show is canceled (especially after only one or two episodes) it is probably more because not enough people cared about the show (for whatever reason) to even record it, much less watch it in its regular time slot.
How many shows per time slot can you DVR? My friend got into a fight with her spouse the other night because they both wanted to DVR 2 different shows while one watched MNF & the other DWTS.

We're a greedy TV society!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
How many shows per time slot can you DVR? My friend got into a fight with her spouse the other night because they both wanted to DVR 2 different shows while one watched MNF & the other DWTS.

We're a greedy TV society!
I have DirecTV and each DVR can record two shows at once if you are not watching "live" TV or if you are watching a recorded show.
I solved the problem you mentioned by getting another DVR for the bedroom.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM

95 posts, read 322,658 times
Quote:
I have DirecTV and each DVR can record two shows at once if you are not watching "live" TV or if you are watching a recorded show.
I solved the problem you mentioned by getting another DVR for the bedroom.
We did the exact same thing when we switched to DIRECTV and it was for that exact reason. I wanted to be able to watch Monday Night Football in HD while my wife recorded all of her Monday night shows.

We have 1 HD DVR in the family room and one HD DVR in the bedroom. We can record up to 4 shows at a time and store up to 1TB of data which is about 200 hours of HD programming. Plus, we can watch shows in either room regardless of where they are recorded.

Of course with this kind of capabilities, that leaves that much less time for things like work, exercise, quality family time, etc. ;-)

Regarding Lone Star, that is crazy they would cancel after 2 episodes. I guess it is a good thing I did not DVR that one!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM

249 posts, read 561,920 times
Quote:
You clearly don't have an understanding of how the ratings work.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaffor View Post
You clearly don't have an understanding of how the ratings work.
Nielsen takes a sample viewing audience and uses their viewing habits (DVR recorded shows included) to determine viewing habits and TV ratings for the entire country.

What am I missing?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Nielsen takes a sample viewing audience and uses their viewing habits (DVR recorded shows included) to determine viewing habits and TV ratings for the entire country.

What am I missing?
DVR shows are typically not included in the Nielsen ratings. They release what they call the "overnights", and the "finals". I think the finals allow for DVR viewing within 24 hours. Other than that, bubke. Nothing. Doesn't count.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Wow, they decided after ONE show?
No...two, LOL!!

Old 10-01-2010, 02:20 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I didn't see it but I got the impression that they're coming around to the idea of putting a show in Texas without the over-the-top stereotypes.
We already have that with the midgets. HELLO.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
We already have that with the midgets. HELLO.
Little people are a Texas stereotype? Really? I've never equated Little People to Texas/Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston