Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 32,859 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are starting to research the Conroe Lake area. Next summer, after our youngest leaves us for university on the East Coast, we may have an opportunity to re-locate to the Woodlands area. I was around Lake Conroe about twenty years ago and we think we would enjoy living on a lake with Palm trees. We will probably be down there doing some exploring during this next year while we decide if this is a move we really want to make. We are interested in finding more about the cultures of some of the lake communities.

We are in our 50s/60s, and will still be working. We have dogs, little fluffy white ones, that will be coming with us. We have a motor boat here in Oklahoma--a classic wooden Chris Craft, but are thinking of selling it and maybe buying a sailboat. We'd have to take lessons somewhere, but we might like it. We like to eat and live well, and aren't overly religious or conservative, although we currently live in Oklahoma, so we get along . . .

We may decide to build because, of the houses we've been looking at, to get a pool and a little space for the puppies, we'd have to buy too much of a house for empty nesters like ourselves. We do want room for kids and potential grandkids to visit, but we'd rather have fewer big rooms and a larger percentage of our home entertaining area vs. bedrooms and baths.

We'd be looking in the 400,000-600,000 range, hoping to get what we wanted in the lower part, but knowing we might not.

What neighborhoods should we be seriously looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Walden Estates is still good. Bentwater better. Keep in mind the lake had gotten insane busy as people are commuting from there into Houston and it's become a "full time/subdivision lake" vs the weekend lake it used to be.......

Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 AM

7 posts, read 22,340 times
There is a subdivision called " Falcon Sound ". It is a small subdivision on the lake. Directly across the street from bentwater. It is in Montgomery Texas but all the same. The taxes there are much cheaper than Conroe though. Bentwater is really nice as well and I am sure for that price range you will have no trouble. There is a nice new home in Falcon Sound being built for $ 460,000. It is a waterfront property 2800 SQF and 4/2.5/3. We are buying a home in there now would be worth looking at. har.com MLS # 65512114. Home here are only getting higher so if this is the area you are looking for, now is the time.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,032 times
Default Lov'in Lake Conroe

The three major areas I’d consider are… Bentwater, April Sound and Walden…all are anchored by golf courses. Even if you have no interest in playing golf… you’ll have access to the club houses that offer…dining, swimming, tennis, marinas and workout rooms. Club house fees are a part of living in these areas and aren’t optional … but are, affordable & well worth it. If you want to golf there are several upgrade packages to select from.

We have lived in both Walden & April Sound and found they have very active residences… especially April Sound. We are constantly getting notices about club activities and social group meetings...literally something for everyone. Not the least bit “uppity”. Though Bentwater is gorgeous… keep in mind it is on the north side of the lake and a trek to get to things as essential as markets & hospitals. I’d recommend staying closer to 105 if nothing else …for the convince. As resale is also a driving factor in many purchases… I’ve found the communities that offer more options… tend to draw the attention of a larger pool of buyers.

Living at the lake is a great lifestyle… relaxed, but as much fun available as you’d like to partake of…lol. As you can probably tell… I’m a bit bias! Best of success...Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: