Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Don't feel bad. You are not alone in the dreaming department. A whole LOT of people think that if they just keep looking, that perfect little arts & crafts bungalow, the one that only needs a light amount of work, certainly no structural repairs needed, and of course already has that second bathroom and is priced at $185,000 in Montrose or Heights, it's just waiting for them right around the corner if they just....keep...looking.

My experience is people's acceptance of the more transitional areas is usually a process. Very few people start out with "gee, I've always wanted to live off of Cavalcade and Irvington, or Lockwood and Polk, or Broadway & Sims bayou or Bellfort and Hillcroft." Once people come to grips with the fact they aren't going to be able to afford anything, or anything they would have, in Montrose, Heights, Rice U, inner-loop Braeswood, Timbergrove, etc. that is when the other areas come into play.

Once people become a little more open minded to transitional areas, and realize they can get a lot of what they initially set out looking for, (an architecturally compelling house, a short commute to work, quick access to the central city amenities, etc), these areas can become a lot more appealing. You just have to know you probably aren't going to be near a whole foods, a cup-cake place or a tanning parlor.
I love the idea of a nearby cup-cake place as a deal breaker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times
Ok! My mind totally opened to all of the suggestions! I spent a great deal of time looking at various neighborhoods last night, and really like Meyerland and Glenbrook Valley (thanks, modster!) The homes are spacious and not so cookie cutter, as are in the suburbs. I like space, trees, and safety.

Good schools are a must, and if we could, we'd send ours to private school, but we don't live in that kind of world. I guess we think the suburbs or outskirts are "safer" than living inside the city, and well, that's just not the case.

I've amended my post...we would like to be inside the city, in a neighborhood that's affordable, friendly, and offers good schools and amenities. Sure I'd love to be the one to find the diamond in the rough bungalow in the Montrose but I know that's not going to happen.

So, thank you, again, for the suggestions! I will definitely keep looking into the ideas! My husband works off of Navigation, on the east end, and we've seen some areas around there that really could be transitional very soon, if they are not already. To me, transitional doesn't mean low income; it means a neighborhood that is going through a transition-perhaps homes being remodeled, more families coming to the area, etc.

At one time I lived off of Brae Acres, in a condo and I LOVED it-I don't really remember the name of the area, so to speak. Some parts of the neighborhood were questionable but I always felt very safe.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM

225 posts, read 597,522 times
Default Safety & transitions

No tanning parlors???

Just kidding.

I'd like to know a little more about these transitional areas. Specifically, can we talk about safety?

In my mind there are different levels of safety ...

Level 1: You can leave all your doors unlocked at all times and nothing will happen. (Example: Remote cabin or farm)

Level 2: If you leave your car doors unlocked, people are likely to steal what's in your car. (Aside: this just happened to me in Friendswood. Lesson learned.)

Level 3: People are likely to break into your car to steal stuff.

Level 4: People are likely to break into your house to steal stuff.

Level 5: People are likely to hurt you if they find you walking down the street.

Level 6: People are likely to break into your house and kill you. If they feel like it, they might also steal some of your stuff. (Example: War zones, terrible ghettos.)

Since I've mainly lived in Level 1 areas (small towns and rural areas), I have no idea how you'd describe the safety level in some of these areas, like Glenbrook Valley, Eastwood, Idylwood, etc.

When you say something is safe, do you mean Level 2 safe? Or Level 4 safe? Do we have any Level 5 areas in Houston?

I know this deals with lots of guessing, but any ideas are appreciated.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,918 times
I believe transitional areas have more of petty thefts, if at all. I wouldn't leave my doors unlocked, but at the same time is rare for someone to randomly break in while you are sleep.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedra_p View Post
No tanning parlors???

Just kidding.

I'd like to know a little more about these transitional areas. Specifically, can we talk about safety?

In my mind there are different levels of safety ...

Level 1: You can leave all your doors unlocked at all times and nothing will happen. (Example: Remote cabin or farm)

Level 2: If you leave your car doors unlocked, people are likely to steal what's in your car. (Aside: this just happened to me in Friendswood. Lesson learned.)

Level 3: People are likely to break into your car to steal stuff.

Level 4: People are likely to break into your house to steal stuff.

Level 5: People are likely to hurt you if they find you walking down the street.

Level 6: People are likely to break into your house and kill you. If they feel like it, they might also steal some of your stuff. (Example: War zones, terrible ghettos.)

Since I've mainly lived in Level 1 areas (small towns and rural areas), I have no idea how you'd describe the safety level in some of these areas, like Glenbrook Valley, Eastwood, Idylwood, etc.

When you say something is safe, do you mean Level 2 safe? Or Level 4 safe? Do we have any Level 5 areas in Houston?

I know this deals with lots of guessing, but any ideas are appreciated.
I would consider #2 a safe area (stealing from an unlocked car a possibility, not necessarily likely). Transitional would be maybe #4, hence the appearance of burglar bars here and there. #5 and beyond are before the transitioning phase.

#1 is Happy Days in the 50's, with Ron Howard and the gang. LOL

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
Transitional neighborhoods I would say you need an alarm. But I think this is true in most urban areas.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times
Well, here in the sticks there is so much crime it doesn't phase us anymore. Drugs are abundant, as are petty crimes.

No matter where I live, my doors and windows will be locked and all items secure. Even here in redneckville, I don't let my kids play outside by themselves. We are walking distance to the school, and there's no way in Hades I'm letting my children walk by themselves.

So I suppose my safety issue is relative; as long as we take steps to protect ourselves and our property, then we should be fine. I can't stop someone from breaking into my home, but I can protect myself and my family.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 19,813 times
If you're willing to venture to the Clear Lake area, you can find exceptional homes to rent in this price range, and the schools in Clear Creek ISD are exemplary. No private schools needed. I have a friend who grew up in Huffman. She and her family live in Clear Lake, and absolutely LOVE it! It's a great community to raise a family, and the commute into town is not that bad. Many, many, many people commute to the medical center, downtown, Galleria area, Sugar Land, and Galveston.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
This would be a good time to talk to someone at HISD and find out what the process is for applying to magnet schools if you are currently out of district, but will be moving into district for the next school year. They are taking magnet applications soon, and the good schools are hard to get into. You wouldn't be able to get in at the last minute.

I don't know if it's possible, but if you could secure spots at good magnet schools, you would be freer to pursue interesting neighborhoods like Glenbrook Valley. But moving there with just the hope of getting into a good magnet would be a real gamble.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 PM

258 posts, read 540,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
We currently live outside of Houston, in Huffman. We hate it. We want to be inside the loop; my husband works in downtown, and we really just want to be closer to the activities that aren't available here. We do have some concerns:

1. Can we live affordably inside the loop? By affordably, I mean renting a 3 bedroom home in an area with good schools for less than $1400?

2. Will we find other families in the areas?

I lived in the Heights and the Montrose in my single years and have lived in the outskirts since starting a family.

Eventually we want to buy a home for less than 200K.

Areas we like:
Timbergrove
Oak Forest
Heights
Museum district

Any thoughts, experiences? So greatly appreciated!!!
HUFFMAN DEAR GOD!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???

Just move closer. There are plenty of places closer to downtown than HUFFMAN.

No you can not find a decent home for 200,000 in a safe area inside the loop, the school SUCKKKKK, IF you don't go private
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston