Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the proposed plans for East Downtown?
Excellent 16 53.33%
Good 10 33.33%
Okay 3 10.00%
Poorly 0 0%
Terrible 1 3.33%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,837,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
The point is that an area has to be self-sustaining. The developers of course see this as an opportunity to make money. If the city spends billions and the developers make millions, then the net result is major inefficiency. But, the developers will support this type of economic "development."

Here, the developers are merely working at capturing a government subsidy and not truly partaking in a risk-taking venture. The subsidy is the billion dollar stadium built in the backyard of previously less desirable lots.

However, subsidy capturing "businessmen" generally create poor products. They will not do the necessary planning to ensure that this area is a good place to live. They will simply sell as much buildings (commercial and residential) as they can while the place is hot and then they will leave. When the place is no longer trendy, the structural defects will become apparent and property values will depress and the area will see no additional development. The people who wanted to see the area grow and who bought homes or businesses there will be left dissapointed. Dissapointment is the result virtually every time there is a well meaning government policy.

Five years from now, we will be debating why the soccer stadium failed to spur development. Everyone will have some idea like, "they needed bigger townhome lots", "the streets were too small," there wasn't a grocery store nearby," the "individual builder of the townhomes used inferior products," etc., etc. However, what people will likely not understand is that the poor quality and poor planning will have resulted from the subsidy. Without the subsidy, the developers would have been forced to build quality products or they would fail, as it should be.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I interpret what you are saying as much of the growth will be related to the government subsidy (in the form of the stadium). But I thought you also thought the stadium wouldn't spur a lot of growth. Am I misunderstanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM

724 posts, read 1,686,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I interpret what you are saying as much of the growth will be related to the government subsidy (in the form of the stadium). But I thought you also thought the stadium wouldn't spur a lot of growth. Am I misunderstanding?
The stadium financing / cash from the city is the subsidy. It is not growth. For the stadium to be growth, it must be built without a subsidy.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,175 times
I almost can't believe it...

Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM

41 posts, read 113,243 times
Hey who knew that by turning an ugly parking lot into a beautiful park could spur growth?! It did right lol I think that it will help make that side a better place! Once they complete that bayou plan thing the east side should even better!!!

I like it how here in Houston they tear things down but they are starting to remodel things as well much like a European city!!! But a lot bigger and that still is not affraid to blow an old building up inorder to build a new one!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Dynamo Development is Downtown Development (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110124-dynamo-development-is-downtown-development - broken link)

The mention the Promenade in the last few seconds of the video.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Also some updates on Shenzen Garden:

Quote:
But when Jim Olive and Ellen Goldberg cast their gaze on the six blocks along Bastrop Street from Bell to Walker, a different image comes to life. It is a picture of international cooperation and eco-friendly verdure, of culture-hungry children, fun-loving families and broad-minded soccer fans. They see, in short, a slice of paradise.
Olive is the vice president of the Houston-Shenzen Sister City Association, and Goldberg is the president of Sister Cities of Houston

Read more: Discovery Green Take Two? | Houston Business Journal
On behalf of Houston, I would like to thank our Sister City: Shenzen, China for the potentially forward progressing state of the park.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 AM

4,391 posts, read 4,632,186 times
so is the stadium already being built??

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM

346 posts, read 739,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know right, thats what im concerned the most about, because my school will be playing football games there.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah groundbreaking ceremony is in 4 days from now.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
I've seen the renderings. Very impressive. Love the exterior. But please. Rename the district. Do not call it EaDo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston