Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM

119 posts, read 504,853 times

Advertisements

Hi, we will fly to Houston with our two young kids. After arriving at the Houston airport, we plan to take a taxi from the airport to our house. According to the driving law, our kids need to sit in child seat when riding the car. Do you know if the taxi can supply two child seats? Seems very unlikely to me that the taxi will have child seats available right on the spot.
If the taxi has no child seat, is it against the law to ride the taxi without child seat for our kids?

We are wondering how to get home from the airport with our two kids since the law requires child seat?

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Kids can legally ride in a taxi or bus without a car seat.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 AM

119 posts, read 504,853 times
That's great news. Problem solved.
I thought young kids need to sit in child seat in any kind of car. So, the child seat only applies to private cars, right.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM
fnh

Yes and even then there are allowances for available spaces. The airlines will check child seats for free so you can have them available when you arrive if you like, but then depending on the number in your party you may not all fit in a taxi with the car seats unless you find a minivan.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:01 AM

295 posts, read 1,169,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc300 View Post
That's great news. Problem solved.
I thought young kids need to sit in child seat in any kind of car. So, the child seat only applies to private cars, right.
i think this varies from state to state. i was in atlantic city new jersey and taxis are strict with this.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
I would check your car seats at the airport. Will they not be in car seats for the trip TO the airport?

An old thread addresses this, too:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...ats-taxis.html

I guess what it comes down to for me is would I ever drive around Houston (or any other city) without my children being properly restrained? My answer is no - I would not take that risk and certainly not in a cab. Yes - a PITA but I'd rather be inconvenienced than have to deal with something much worse. Just my opinion, of course.

fnh - do you have a link to support that here in Houston? I've looked before but can't seem to find anything concrete.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
fnh

Here is the relevant section from the Texas Penal Code:

TRC § 545.412. CHILD PASSENGER SAFETY SEATSYSTEMS; OFFENSE.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than eight [five] years of age, unless the child is taller than four feet, nine inches [and less than 36 inches in height], and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the safety seat system.
(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not [less than $100 or] more than $25 for the first offense and not more than $250 for a sec*ond or subsequent offense [$200].
(b-1) In addition to all other fees and court costs, a per*son shall pay 15 cents as a court cost on conviction of an offense under this section. Court costs due under this section shall be collected in the same manner as other fees, fines, or costs are collected in the case. The clerk at least monthly shall send the court costs collected under this section to the comptroller for deposit in a separate ac*count in the general revenue fund that may be appropri*ated only to the Texas Department of Transportation and used to purchase child passenger safety seat systems and distribute them to low-income families.
(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person was operating the vehicle in an emergency or for a law enforcement purpose.
(d) Repealed by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 204, Sec. 8.01
(e) This section does not apply to a person:
(1) operating a vehicle transporting passengers for hire, excluding [including] third-party transport service providers when transporting clients pursuant to a contract to provide nonemergency Medicaid transportation; or
(2) transporting a child in a vehicle in which all seat*ing positions equipped with child passenger safety seat systems or safety belts are occupied.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Did exception 2 say what I think it said. If I run out of child safety seats, i can just put the kid on my lap.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Did exception 2 say what I think it said. If I run out of child safety seats, i can just put the kid on my lap.
Sure seems to read that way.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM
fnh

Yes, in legalese "it is a defense to prosecution if"... well I simply ran out of spaces. ;-)

Really, though, I think the law has to be crafted as such because while you want to 'encourage' car seats and promote their use, you can't make them mandatory in every possible situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: