Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times

Advertisements

My special promotion / deal with Comcast just expired this month after one year. I was getting over 250 channels with free HBO and high speed internet for $82 a month.Of course they increased the price to $140 now, which is a pretty good chunk of money.

What options do I have? Any good promos with Dish network or DirectTV? For internet I am stuck with Comcast since is the only internet provider in Riverstone but I do have options for TV channels lineup. U-Verse is not yet available here...

Any promos that you're aware of, any local Houston shop offering good promos? How do I get the most for my money?

Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM

75 posts, read 137,371 times
IMO, best option is to call up Comcast and ask them for better pricing, if they say they don't have anything at the moment, tell them that you are cancelling and switching to satellite, once they hear that, their promotions start rolling out

I hate Satellite, I had it 8+ years ago and everytime it rains, I don't have any signal...thinking that it was years ago and possibly they upgraded the dish, I gave it another shot last year but I came across the same issue and had to cancel early(also note, Satellite makes you sign a commitment, usually 2 years and if you cancelled early, you have to pay the cancellation fee)

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Call Comcast retention department (choose cancel service option at the prompt) and get a better deal on your Internet service.
Tell them you were offered a better deal from AT&T and that you will switch if they don't offer a better deal.
I currently pay $29.99/month (which is good for a year) for 16Mbps Internet service.
For TV service, I would go with DirecTV (that's who I have now).
They're not the cheapest provider around, but they do have great deals for new customers (free HBO, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc).

Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 AM

469 posts, read 1,100,548 times
If you got it for $82/mth, I am pretty sure it was a two year deal. I got the same deal in Sienna and the contract says year 1 for $82 and year two for $130. Year two is still about $70/mth cheaper than I was paying for Entouch.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 AM

95 posts, read 322,487 times
Definitely call the Comcast cancellation department. They should give you a deal to keep you. The key is to select the "I Want To Cancel" option when you call. I wrote about my experience with Comcast in that regard here (http://cyfairrealestate.com/2010/10/want-a-comcast-discount-talk-to-the-cancellation-department/ - broken link).

I switched my cable TV from Comcast to DirectTV back in September and have been very pleased so far. The DVR is MUCH superior and I have not had any issues of losing signal during storms. I'm also paying significantly less with more channels than Comcast though I did have to sign a 2 year agreement.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

834 posts, read 2,683,441 times
Get DirecTV!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM

24 posts, read 53,571 times
Free TV from United States - LyngSat
here was all channels,what u can see by satellite,but u must buy the rotor for moving satellite.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
I have DISH and have never once had signal issues. Even during Ike the reception was good until we lost power.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:17 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback.

Cyfairre I have to give it to you, what a fantastic job on your blog related to this particular topic. It really hellped a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfairre View Post
Definitely call the Comcast cancellation department. They should give you a deal to keep you. The key is to select the "I Want To Cancel" option when you call. I wrote about my experience with Comcast in that regard here (http://cyfairrealestate.com/2010/10/want-a-comcast-discount-talk-to-the-cancellation-department/ - broken link).

I switched my cable TV from Comcast to DirectTV back in September and have been very pleased so far. The DVR is MUCH superior and I have not had any issues of losing signal during storms. I'm also paying significantly less with more channels than Comcast though I did have to sign a 2 year agreement.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM

24 posts, read 53,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I have DISH and have never once had signal issues. Even during Ike the reception was good until we lost power.
maybe satellite receiver is crashed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston