Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 AM

102 posts, read 185,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
Although from pearland to hobby airport along beltway 8 wouldn't be any closer than living in midtown, which is a seriously exploding and changing area.

Ridiculous. I live in the center of Pearland, and can get to Hobby in just a few minutes without ever getting onto a freeway or the beltway. Pearland Parkway turns into Monroe, which will drop you right onto Airport Blvd., Or SH35 turns into Telephone Rd, if you want to enter the airport from the west side. Much, much closer than Midtown, and very manageable traffic, even during the morning and evening rush. If you're coming from Shadow Creek or Silverlake, then maybe the argument would make sense, but SCR and Silverlake are not the only places in Pearland to live...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo1978 View Post
Wow! This was really helpful! My husband is putting in for a job in Houston. We can live within a 50 mile radius. We too are from CA (Napa). Where should we move? We have two active boys, 10 & 6. We would live to be close to a really great non-denominational christian church. Little crime and great schools...and really nice people! Is that too much to ask?

Not too much to ask at all. You can find all of that in many parts of Houston. Find out where his job would be located, and go from there. If you keep your commute manageable, you'll enjoy Houston a lot more.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM

346 posts, read 739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmedic View Post
Ridiculous. I live in the center of Pearland, and can get to Hobby in just a few minutes without ever getting onto a freeway or the beltway. Pearland Parkway turns into Monroe, which will drop you right onto Airport Blvd., Or SH35 turns into Telephone Rd, if you want to enter the airport from the west side. Much, much closer than Midtown, and very manageable traffic, even during the morning and evening rush. If you're coming from Shadow Creek or Silverlake, then maybe the argument would make sense, but SCR and Silverlake are not the only places in Pearland to live...
Dont believe me?, google map it youreself its about 8 miles from pearland to hobby airport, and about 10 miles from midtown to hobby, about the same distance. Hardly rediculous. And with all those lights along pearland parkway, through those neighborhoods, crowwing street after street I'd bet that the drive would be about the same. Hardly much much closer. gosh so many people just talk without looking anything up for fact, just making stuf up. Rediculous? really. Your rediculous

Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM

39 posts, read 154,780 times
i was born and raised in cali.. 70745.. now im in houston and would never look back. i cant even stand to visit cali anymore. TeXas is where its at.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordingtoome View Post
i was born and raised in cali.. 70745.. now im in houston and would never look back. i cant even stand to visit cali anymore. TeXas is where its at.
What part of CA? I grew up in San Jose, CA.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 AM

39 posts, read 154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What part of CA? I grew up in San Jose, CA.
i ment 90745 lolzz. i lived on the border of compton and carson in so cali.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 7,917 times
We are moving from Northern California to Pearland. I saw it mentioned several times on this post. Originally, I was only looking at SCR. Anyone have any thoughts on any of the other newer subdivisions: Cypress Village, Avalon Terrace, South Hampton etc. Any specific recommendations or areas to stay away from? We are looking for a family-oriented neighborhood, low crime (as low as you can get these days), and good schools. We have 3 children, 5, 3, and an infant, so 1st grade and Preschool. Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Hubby is in Houston already. He's been out to Pearland twice (on the weekends) and said the the traffic on Main St around the new Pearland plaza was horrendous, but I'm sure once we learn the backroads, it wouldn't be so bad. He's stationed at Hobby, but also treks to Bush Int'l and out to Galveston.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguirre8 View Post
We are moving from Northern California to Pearland. I saw it mentioned several times on this post. Originally, I was only looking at SCR. Anyone have any thoughts on any of the other newer subdivisions: Cypress Village, Avalon Terrace, South Hampton etc. Any specific recommendations or areas to stay away from? We are looking for a family-oriented neighborhood, low crime (as low as you can get these days), and good schools. We have 3 children, 5, 3, and an infant, so 1st grade and Preschool. Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Hubby is in Houston already. He's been out to Pearland twice (on the weekends) and said the the traffic on Main St around the new Pearland plaza was horrendous, but I'm sure once we learn the backroads, it wouldn't be so bad. He's stationed at Hobby, but also treks to Bush Int'l and out to Galveston.
Thanks in advance.
Your reason for moving from Bay Area?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Your reason for moving from Bay Area?
This is a little intrusive...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
Dont believe me?, google map it youreself its about 8 miles from pearland to hobby airport, and about 10 miles from midtown to hobby, about the same distance. Hardly rediculous. And with all those lights along pearland parkway, through those neighborhoods, crowwing street after street I'd bet that the drive would be about the same. Hardly much much closer. gosh so many people just talk without looking anything up for fact, just making stuf up. Rediculous? really. Your rediculous

I don't need Google maps to tell me that all miles aren't created equally when you're talking about comparing the ease of a commute. I make the drive along PP/Monroe daily, from Pearland to the 225/610 loop area. Most of the time, it takes less time to drive the ~8 miles to Hobby than it does to cover the ~4 miles or so from Hobby to my workplace. The Gulf Freeway slowing to a crawl at Broadway/Park Place is a fact of life at certain times of the day, and makes for a much more stressful commute than a couple of traffic lights on Monroe. I spoke from my experience in the real world. That hardly qualifies as "making stuf up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston