Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:26 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times

Advertisements

Why? Romantic maybe? Certainly not efficient whatsoever. I have always had them in the houses I've owned, or lived in over the years because they were there already. Only maybe once, or twice were they ever used, and only for asthetics. As for being romantic... I guess I'm weird, they've never done anything for my wife, and I. Yeah, I see the romantic movie scenes, etc. But that's the movies. Anyway, moving on...

I have one in my home now, in a corner for some reason. It was like that when I got here. Now my wife and I are discussing removing it, but we are not sure what the value to the house is. So, is/was a chimney a factor in your purchase? Do people really seek them out? Would you remove yours if you could? We don't really need the space, but we don't really care for the bricks, and it would make arranging the furniture easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,251 times
If you don't plan on selling for many, many years, go ahead and close it off. It will probably be more aesthetically pleasing to you than the extra value you will get.

If you plan on selling in the next 5 or 10 days. I'd keep it. Most people don't use them here, but they do look for them in homes. Again, just for aesthetics. It definitely feels more like a home to many buyer's.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
I have one too, kind of centrally located between dining area and living room. I used it during inspection and thats it.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 PM

543 posts, read 1,386,792 times
I had one and never used it. I actually would be glad if my next house doesn't have one. It becomes a maintenance issue with no benefits for me. By the way, I'm from Minnesota.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:22 AM

41 posts, read 125,012 times
We use ours. Especially because our electricity seems to go out a lot during the winter, so it's nice to have the heat!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM

430 posts, read 1,256,561 times
During the "winter" months, our fireplace is on from the time we get up until we go to bed (along with the central heat). I hate the cold. Agree with City Love's advice. If you hate it, get rid of it.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
I've used mine weeks at a time this year and last. I would never buy or build a home without a wood burning one.Those gas kits are a joke and I would have no problem popping that fake thing out.

Something very anciently, comforting about a real wood buring fire in the home.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM

404 posts, read 1,244,988 times
As far as aesthetics, I too love a wood burning fireplace and in prior homes, we used ours all the time in the winter. However, our current place has one (supposedly finished out) that has been walled in at some point to provide more space. The home inspector guy was worthless and we noticed soon after moving in some swelling on the exterior wall. Last summer it bulged out in a serious way and we had to hire someone to locate, patch the leak and secure the wall...no easy task and quite expensive. We still have no idea how much rotten wood might be on the interior so if you decide to do this, make sure to hire someone with half a brain.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 AM

567 posts, read 1,621,881 times
Useless. We have one, came with the house, but it's in the corner making a good part of our living room unusable. The problem is that most houses have them, and to find one without, was difficult. I used it twice since 2002 (when I moved in). I was thinking of removing it, but I am not going to spend money / my time on that. I actually fired it up just to see if it is still intact - and it is. Smoke goes up and out through the chimey.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,287 times
We bought a house without one but if we move again, I told my husband I want a fireplace. I grew up where we used one most of the winter so I miss that. I know it's not necessary (hence buying our home without one) but it's a selling point for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston