Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:56 AM

262 posts, read 650,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post

I have plenty of friends who would have preferred to spend their last 4 or 5 years in public schools learning a trade. In fact, as soon as they graduated they signed up for one of the private "learn to become an AC Tech" type schools and started their lives off tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and several years older.

There's no reason to be forcing pre-calc down the throats of people who are just waiting to graduate so they can move on with their lives.
I agree. There are many students who would benefit from vocational training. There's plenty of money to be made by welders, plumbers, autobody workers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM

262 posts, read 650,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

My recommendations for the 2011-2013 budgets are:

1. Reduce admin headcount to 1 per school (1 principal....no assistant principals). Examine district admin offices for non-essential headcount & eliminate. These are high paying positions anc can generally save 2-3 teacher salaries per position.

Perhaps one admin per thousand students is more livable. One counselor per 500 students, maybe.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideteacher View Post
Perhaps one admin per thousand students is more livable. One counselor per 500 students, maybe.
What is a reasonable number of staff? My local high school has 3500 students. We have 1 principal and 11 assistant principals. They each have a secretary.
There is 1 lead counselor, 12 assistant counselors, 5 special education counselors, 1 diagnostician and 3 secretaries. Is the usual or excessive?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What is a reasonable number of staff? My local high school has 3500 students. We have 1 principal and 11 assistant principals. They each have a secretary.
There is 1 lead counselor, 12 assistant counselors, 5 special education counselors, 1 diagnostician and 3 secretaries. Is the usual or excessive?
My local high school has half the population of yours, about 1600-1700.

1 principal & 2 assistant principals.
2 secretaries
4 counselors - about 400 students of varying grades for each
1-2 admins in counseling

Not sure how many special Ed staff.

Your local school's administration looks "bloated" to me.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:07 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
IMO teachers are grossly underpaid. Watching my kids SBISD teachers do their job is exhausting. These are some of the hardest working, smart, caring people I've ever met.

IMO, 45-50k is an insulting salary. I'd vote to pay them much more & pay more taxes to cover it.
Keep in mind they have great benefits, good retirements, only work about 75% of the year, and have the easiest degree program known to man. Not to bash on their training, but if you can't make it through an education degree Darwin is going to be calling your name soon.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Sounds like an FBISD school to me.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
The range varies, but most states spend in the neighborhood of $7,000 per student per year. And while I agree that the comment you responded to was short sighted, people do need to realize that not everyone needs a 12 year general education.

I have plenty of friends who would have preferred to spend their last 4 or 5 years in public schools learning a trade. In fact, as soon as they graduated they signed up for one of the private "learn to become an AC Tech" type schools and started their lives off tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and several years older.

There's no reason to be forcing pre-calc down the throats of people who are just waiting to graduate so they can move on with their lives.
We really ned to adopt France's education system. What we have now obviously isn't working.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
We really ned to adopt France's education system. What we have now obviously isn't working.
Ours isn't working, but I haven't seen anything that would suggest that France's is the gold standard either. What we need to do is to get parents back into the game -- teachers can only do so much.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
IMO teachers are grossly underpaid. Watching my kids SBISD teachers do their job is exhausting. These are some of the hardest working, smart, caring people I've ever met.

IMO, 45-50k is an insulting salary. I'd vote to pay them much more & pay more taxes to cover it.
Agreed. The only well paid teachers are college professors.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,791 times
So, basically it seems like we need to get rid of the disciplinary problem students and divert the vocational education crowd into vocational education. And, stop building sports stadiums that would make Caligula blush. So, why don't we do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: