Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times

Advertisements

Federal Stimulus Money Could Save Teachers' Jobs - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42570975/ns/local_news-houston_tx/ - broken link)

Is this a quick solution or more of a long term problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM

49 posts, read 127,411 times
I'm not even sure it could be a quick solution to what looks like an ongoing problem. We were in a state/district that was getting stimulus money, and there were requirements attached. The funds were not to be used for funding ongoing teacher positions since it was for a year or two, they were to be used for supplemental programs or systems or training that would not require a long term financial stream.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by notready View Post
I'm not even sure it could be a quick solution to what looks like an ongoing problem. We were in a state/district that was getting stimulus money, and there were requirements attached. The funds were not to be used for funding ongoing teacher positions since it was for a year or two, they were to be used for supplemental programs or systems or training that would not require a long term financial stream.
I agree. I don't believe in band aiding the problem with bail out money is the answer. We see what happens when we do that...recall the AIG bailouts...it did not fix the problems. It is sad that the entire world is struggling and I never dreamed while growing up that I would see the problems facing the world that I see today.

I think all we can do is educate ourselves on what has happened to cause the financial troubles in this country that has affected the entire planet and then aim at a solution. I watched an interesting documentary last weekend. It made me wonder if we will ever be able to stop the powers that got us here or are we just going to continue to be raked over the coals while the rich get richer and the middle class and the poor get poorer.

Inside Job Study Guide http://www.sonyclassics.com/insidejo...StudyGuide.pdf

If you have not seen it I hope you make time to do so if you really want to understand what has caused this global financial downfall.

Inside Job - Movie Website for the Documentary Film

Old 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,818 times
Why do we bail out banks and companies (whose actions contributed significantly to the collapse of the economy), and not schools that educate our kids, or programs that serve the elderly, the sick and the poor? A sad indictment of our values.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Why do we bail out banks and companies (whose actions contributed significantly to the collapse of the economy), and not schools that educate our kids, or programs that serve the elderly, the sick and the poor? A sad indictment of our values.
Make sure you understand what you are saying when you say our values. I did not willing support the bailout of the banks and mortgage companies while they continued bad practices and gave out billions in bonus money. Guess what our tax dollars paid their bonuses! I am sure many of us did not willing support that. But what could we have done to stop that realistically? Our tax dollars paid out over 148 BILLION in bailout money to the crooks. How could we have stopped our government from using our tax dollars in that manner? That is the question we need to find a solution for. Can we stop the government from using our tax dollars the way they see fit? So it is not an indictment of mine or everyone else's values. It is an indictment of Wall Street, Lobbyist and our elected officials values.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM

687 posts, read 2,128,818 times
You're absolutely right TVC15. What we CAN do now is call our representatives and share our concerns about the proposed budget cuts to these programs and services that we care about. I understand the importance of living within a budget. However, it seems that in certain scenarios (such as the banking bailout), money miraculously appears from somewhere!

For an analysis of the House Budget Committee's proposal: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3458

To see House Budget Committee Chairman Ryan’s budget proposal:
Full Budget Resolution: http://budget.house.gov/UploadedFiles/PathToProsperityFY2012.pdf
House Budget Committee’s Summary: http://budget.house.gov/UploadedFiles/KeyFactsSummary.pdf

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
You're absolutely right TVC15. What we CAN do now is call our representatives and share our concerns about the proposed budget cuts to these programs and services that we care about. I understand the importance of living within a budget. However, it seems that in certain scenarios (such as the banking bailout), money miraculously appears from somewhere!

For an analysis of the House Budget Committee's proposal: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3458

To see House Budget Committee Chairman Ryan’s budget proposal:
Full Budget Resolution: http://budget.house.gov/UploadedFiles/PathToProsperityFY2012.pdf
House Budget Committee’s Summary: http://budget.house.gov/UploadedFiles/KeyFactsSummary.pdf
I appreciate your effort but I don't think they care about our concerns. If they did they would not have bailed out the investors, bankers and mortgage companies and then allowed them to carry on business as usual. Our government is in the pockets of the lobbyist, the lobbyist are in the pocket of the bankers and mortgage companies. All of them are getting rich so why would they care about our concerns or want to change anything? Most Americans have no clue how we got into this financial crisis. I am thankful this documentary came out so we can all begin to understand the very complex dynamics of what has occurred. And who the real players are. My concern is that we will never be able to change Wall Street culture, govt. culture, lobbyist and banker culture to stop their spending, lying, cheating and stealing. Telling them our concerns will not change the culture. A lot of what they have done is criminal. Many of them deserve to be in prison. If you or I conducted business the way they do we would be in prison alongside Jeffery Skilling! I wish I knew what we could all do but it is so complex and I don't know what we can do about it.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 AM

Karuna95...thanks for the link and yes this is interesting indeed! We can't let this continue or we are ruined!

NYT: In financial crisis, no major prosecutions - Business - U.S. business - The New York Times - msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: