Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,734,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
There is no way I'm staying if a cat 5 threatened the area.
Where are you going to go? How will you get there? The freeways will be jammed. I'd rather ride it out in my home than a car stuck on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Where are you going to go? How will you get there? The freeways will be jammed. I'd rather ride it out in my home than a car stuck on the road.
If it goes like Ike, the roads won't be that bad.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If it goes like Ike, the roads won't be that bad.
That's because most people rode Ike out.

They will probably leave next time anything comes this way at all because they can't stand the thought of being without power for a week. Then, depending on where the storm actually goes, they might end up losing power where they went to anyway.

But if everyone panics and piles onto the roads again, not a whole lot of people are going to get very far at all.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Another thing that a lot of people don't consider is that even if you do make it out of town to a shelter you will still have to come back and deal with the aftermath of power outages, any damage, etc.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 15,148 times
Yea me too, when a cat. 5 threatens our area. Even though we live inland, safe from the storm surge, (unless you live near a bayou or river) we can still be effected by wind damage! Walls collapsing on people who chose to stay in their houses...

Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,573 times
If a cat-5 threatens, I'm going to climb the crow's nest on my war buddy's shrimp boat, the Jenny, and shake my fist at the sky demanding of it, "Is that all you got?!"

Then I'll go out and buy some magic legs.

Sorry about that. I was inspired by jfre81's tag line.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groens View Post
it'd be of katrina proportions, definitely.
We would have some serious, serious, serious damage to the power grid, a lot of broken glass downtown, a lot of flattened residential structures all around the metro, BUT, storm surge has been proven to be inconsistent with Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale category.

A category 5 hurricane blowing through Houston would not necessarily "outperform" Ike. Ike was classified as a category 2 at landfall, but the storm surge was more like what you would expect from a category 4 or 5 hurricane based on the SSHS description.

Don't forget that Katrina made landfall as a category 3 (and that New Orleans had the distinct disadvantage of being below sea-level).

We'd be screwed alright, there would be flooding, there would be power outages for a long time and a lot of insurance companies becoming insolvent, but I don't think we would see much of this:

Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM

25 posts, read 35,566 times
Someone sould make a movie where a catojory 5 hurricane hits houston. the storm surge wipes out the entire metro area. the airport is destored which causes air traffic world wide to come to a standstill. the world is starved of oil because alot of it comes from texas. then world war 3 starts and the whole world blows up!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Thanks for your input on this 4 year old thread.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM

25 posts, read 35,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m27 View Post
i live in a warehouse just east of downtown. im not in a flood area, but
i am wondering how the structure would hold up during high winds. it is
a steel building.
the building would be fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston