Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,330,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
The main problem Houston has is it's location. 6 months out of the year the weather is brutal. Intense heat combined with ungodly high humidity and dew points. It's sticky, muggy and just plain miserable. The geography around Houston is arguably the most boring in the country. Flat and very little if any scenary. Then again, it's built on a swamp and is surrounded by chemical and oil refineries.
San Antonio is the same,
without the refineries, pine trees, 3 hours from the beach and no humidity = the grass is brown 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,363,121 times
Quote:
I moved here from NYC in 2008. For my first year I loved it here. However, in the last 18 months my perception of Houston has changed greatly. Unfortunately, for the worse. There are still areas I like such as the Museum District, Upper Kirby, Rice Village and the Washington Ave area. I have also become a diehard Houston Texan fan. Houston's main "pro" are it's restaurants. Houston has some of the best food in the U.S. better than NYC is some ways.

The main problem Houston has is it's location. 6 months out of the year the weather is brutal. Intense heat combined with ungodly high humidity and dew points. It's sticky, muggy and just plain miserable. The geography around Houston is arguably the most boring in the country. Flat and very little if any scenary. Then again, it's built on a swamp and is surrounded by chemical and oil refineries.

Houston is also plagued by high crime and we are waist deep in illegal aliens. Our schools are over flowing with anchor babies and gangs with their shootings are out of control. Also,one can very rarely go somewhere without having to worry about their car being broken into. Even if you are in the upscale shopping areas, vehicle break ins are very common.

Transportation is awful. For the forth largest city not to have a decent mass transit system is a disgrace. This leads to the highest rate of DWI's in the country. I always said Houston is a huge city with huge city problems, but has no idea how to be a huge city.

It's sad that I feel this way about Houston, but I cannot deny what is a clear reality.
This morning, between 9:30 and 10:30, in BROAD DAYLIGHT, my rims were boldly stolen off my car. That's what I love about Houston.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 AM

270 posts, read 478,879 times
For a city THIS size, as a born and raised Bostonian........

COST.......OF......LIVING.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 AM

270 posts, read 478,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
Oh, and of course the affordability! Yes, Topaz! Huge advantage! I can't believe I own a newish house (1991), with plenty of space for 4 kids, and I am only 30 minutes from downtown!? That is crazy. This will never, ever happen in NYC, Chicago, LA, or even cities smaller than Houston. Literally- twice the house for half the money!

Hahahaha. Yeah. In my hometown of Boston a $1000 a month MIGHT get you 900sqft.

But be ready to pay a grand for about 5-600sq ft.

Don't expect cheaper than $1900-2000+ for some one bedrooms. Especially if you want to be in the heart of the city. An area most people here would call The Heights. Close to downtown.

Up there,the closer to the city and T ( subway/trolley/bus ) be sure their going to factor that into your rent.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,058,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This morning, between 9:30 and 10:30, in BROAD DAYLIGHT, my rims were boldly stolen off my car. That's what I love about Houston.
your rims were stolen off your car? they jacked up your vehicle and took your tires off? or do you mean hubcaps. large price difference there

people can complain about the weather, i understand. if you are from the north it is a big change. some people can't acclimate.

but school violence and shootings? when was the last time there was a violent shooting in a houston school? i call BS on that one.

for a nearly life long resident of houston who has spent my entire adult life in the city of houston i have never been attacked, robbed, never had my car broken into, never been bullied, never been intimidated. since february is the first time i have also had a garage. before that i was parking my car in the street in montrose.

i would question anyone who seems to be a routine victim of crimes... and ask them where are they storing the drugs

Old 05-14-2011, 12:09 PM

65 posts, read 135,410 times
In reviewing all the crime data on city-data I agree with testmo. It seems that Houston is extremely low given the size of the city. It doesn't compare at all with all other huge mega cities in the US. Every city has issues and has residents of that city that don't like aspects of it. Loving or hating a city has all to do with what kind of person you are, if your glass is half full or someone stole it.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM

346 posts, read 740,145 times
Quote:
The main problem Houston has is it's location. 6 months out of the year the weather is brutal. Intense heat combined with ungodly high humidity and dew points. It's sticky, muggy and just plain miserable.

Transportation is awful. For the forth largest city not to have a decent mass transit system is a disgrace. This leads to the highest rate of DWI's in the country. I always said Houston is a huge city with huge city problems, but has no idea how to be a huge city.

It's sad that I feel this way about Houston, but I cannot deny what is a clear reality.
I agree about the transportation, thats more so a result of the way that people here develop and decide to build neighborhoods. But the weather being bad 6 months of the year? more like 3 and 1/2. Its mid may and it feels great outside, this place doesnt "really" get hot till june, although it is hell hot from june through august, and part of sept. But 6 months? What six months?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxtwinturbo View Post
I agree about the transportation, thats more so a result of the way that people here develop and decide to build neighborhoods. But the weather being bad 6 months of the year? more like 3 and 1/2. Its mid may and it feels great outside, this place doesnt "really" get hot till june, although it is hell hot from june through august, and part of sept. But 6 months? What six months?
Actually, the humidity is what makes it feel bad to me for longer than 6 months. Plus if you have pollen allergies they go for 12 months.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,363,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
your rims were stolen off your car? they jacked up your vehicle and took your tires off? or do you mean hubcaps. large price difference there

people can complain about the weather, i understand. if you are from the north it is a big change. some people can't acclimate.

but school violence and shootings? when was the last time there was a violent shooting in a houston school? i call BS on that one.

for a nearly life long resident of houston who has spent my entire adult life in the city of houston i have never been attacked, robbed, never had my car broken into, never been bullied, never been intimidated. since february is the first time i have also had a garage. before that i was parking my car in the street in montrose.

i would question anyone who seems to be a routine victim of crimes... and ask them where are they storing the drugs
Rims, $2000 loss.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 PM

346 posts, read 740,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
For a city THIS size, as a born and raised Bostonian........

COST.......OF......LIVING.
ive heard that our cost of living is actually pretty cheap, but idk being a born and raised houstonian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston