Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
The real question here is what crime was she breaking? She's HOMELESS! She doesn't have an address at all. She stayed in the homeless shelter in the Norwalk area and had her child enrolled in that school, albeit under a friend's address. I don't see why it is wrong to use a friend's address if you're homeless so that you have someplace stable to receive mail. It would be another story if she used a friend's address instead of her own, but she doesn't have an address! So which school should her child have attended? This is simply discrimination. They wouldn't have raised an eyebrow if she'd had him in the cruddy school. This smacks of white supremacy.
Technically, as I understand the law, she should not have custody of the child at all if she is homeless--the child should be in a shelter or in custody of the Connecticut version of Child Protective Services.

The laws in all states for public schools are set up so that the address of the child dictates where the child should go.

And here's my question: why is she homeless? why is she keeping a child homeless? There are literally tons of programs to help people--why doesn't she avail herself of them? WIC, for one example. Her friend lives in Public Housing.

I have sympathy for her in her plight---but like all news stories, I tend to think there's more here than meets the eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Except that KF would be that much worse off and sink even further. Districts live in a Catch-22 cycle and I don't see anything changing anytime soon.
The question is, should there be open enrollment? Why should one segment of the property owners or school population be consigned to an underperforming school? It would be far better for the 61+% reduced and free lunch kids to be in a school with 25% low income. If it is such a great thing, as one school board member pointed out, to have all levels of society in one school, why is that not shared among all students in the district? AP classes don't work anymore. Superintendents have figured out another way to segregate.
The lady in Norwalk should have access to quality education, just like everybody else. Since when is public education predicated on income? This whole system is so screwed up I don't see how anybody could support it.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvie View Post
Technically, as I understand the law, she should not have custody of the child at all if she is homeless--the child should be in a shelter or in custody of the Connecticut version of Child Protective Services.

The laws in all states for public schools are set up so that the address of the child dictates where the child should go.

And here's my question: why is she homeless? why is she keeping a child homeless? There are literally tons of programs to help people--why doesn't she avail herself of them? WIC, for one example. Her friend lives in Public Housing.

I have sympathy for her in her plight---but like all news stories, I tend to think there's more here than meets the eye.
Unfortunately, I know enough people that would/could have been homeless due to the economy if it had not been for family connections and a little bit of luck. My own sister, who made an excellent income, lost her job (she was in real estate in Florida) and was unable to find work for two years. Her husband was in construction and also could barely find work other than a very occasional odd job. During that time she used all her 401k and savings to continue to make her mortgage payments (hence my comments on the 30 yr mortgage thread...had she not been so mortgaged she may have weathered the difficulties better). Had my father not owned a rental property that was vacant, she and her two children would have been homeless. It was like something out of The Grapes if Wrath. You would be surprised how few programs there really are available for people in this position. I certainly don't think she's a bad mother for any of this. Nor do I think she should have lost custody of her kids.

My point is, you are right, we don't know all the particulars, but I do know after the last several years of this economy, that just because someone is homeless doesn't mean it is their fault.

FYI, my sister has been gainfully employed for the last year, thank goodness!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
Coulda made a great story if the kid becomes the president one day. Kkinda like that ethan hawke movie

Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The question is, should there be open enrollment? Why should one segment of the property owners or school population be consigned to an underperforming school? It would be far better for the 61+% reduced and free lunch kids to be in a school with 25% low income. If it is such a great thing, as one school board member pointed out, to have all levels of society in one school, why is that not shared among all students in the district? AP classes don't work anymore. Superintendents have figured out another way to segregate.
The lady in Norwalk should have access to quality education, just like everybody else. Since when is public education predicated on income? This whole system is so screwed up I don't see how anybody could support it.
I agree. The incentives for the district are terrible and the parents without the money have no ability to escape the bad situation. Then you have parents that just don't care and their children cause problems that the district then cannot get rid of, bringing down the school and the teachers unions will protect to death bad teachers on general principles and school boards are pretty much individuals who are out their to forward the wishes of the wealthiest groups that keep them elected each time and tell the middle and lower classes to deal with it. So yes, the system is pretty screwed up which is why I hope to be able to afford private school for my child when the time comes.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:32 PM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Texas is an at will state. Principals and superintendents can get rid of a bad teacher any time they want to. Just do not renew the contract.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Texas is an at will state. Principals and superintendents can get rid of a bad teacher any time they want to. Just do not renew the contract.
Its true that its less of problem here from a teacher side. Its still a problem at the administrator level. Though, teachers still don't have alot of incentive to try a be the best. I haven't heard of teacher bonuses given to the best over the rest.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
I agree. The incentives for the district are terrible and the parents without the money have no ability to escape the bad situation. Then you have parents that just don't care and their children cause problems that the district then cannot get rid of, bringing down the school and the teachers unions will protect to death bad teachers on general principles and school boards are pretty much individuals who are out their to forward the wishes of the wealthiest groups that keep them elected each time and tell the middle and lower classes to deal with it. So yes, the system is pretty screwed up which is why I hope to be able to afford private school for my child when the time comes.
Private school is definitely the way to go. I can't even imagine sticking my child in a public school and crossing my fingers. But I still take an interest in the public schools because it bothers me that those who don't have the money to choose their child's education are forced to make do with shoddy or even potentially damaging situations in public school. It's almost like the whole purpose of public education, to provide an education to the lower classes, has failed to achieve that goal. Well, maybe it's not almost like that. Maybe it is that. It just stinks because the resources are there to do a good job. I don't mind paying for others benefit. But I hate it when the resources are used so poorly that they fail to accomplish their objectives.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
I haven't heard of teacher bonuses given to the best over the rest.
Who would decide who is the "best over the rest"?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Who would decide who is the "best over the rest"?
I assume that's one of the problems with instituting it, but like I said, its a missing incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: